Option to "Keep my logged in" on all sites?

It would be awesome if there was an option in 1Password to force all logins to check the "keep me logged in" box when logging into a website. I have several hundred logins, and a huge number of them for some reason are saved without the "stay logged in" option checked. I'm not even sure which ones are which, but it's a pain in the butt when I frequently have to login to a site over and over because the login wasn't correctly saved.

Having the ability to tell 1Password to just check the "stay logged in" box for all sites would be really useful!

1Password Version: 6.2.1
Extension Version: 4.5.6.90
OS Version: OS X 10.11.5
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2016

Having the ability to tell 1Password to just check the "stay logged in" box for all sites would be really useful!

@timdmackey: I agree that it can be convenient at first, but there are a few things to keep in mind:

• Having all accounts set to stay logged in can have disastrous results if anyone else gains access to your computer.
    • While it isn't something I'd recommend for the aforementioned reason, browser autofill can do this for you.

In either case, this negates the benefit of using 1Password to keep your login credentials safely encrypted: you're already logged in.

On the other hand, the idea of having 1Password be able to set a behaviour for multiple logins at once is an interesting one. However, it isn't really possible since sites use different names for form elements such as the "Keep me logged in" checkboxes you're referring to. But maybe someday there will be more agreement among website developers. :)

• empireoflight
    empireoflight
    Community Member

This is a big one for me. I so often use 1 password chuck the username/password into the fields, and see the unchecked "keep me logged in" checkbox go unchecked. It would be great if keep me logged in was part of what 1password remebers about your logins.

• pervel
    pervel
    Community Member

@empireoflight, it already is part of what 1Password remembers about your logins. Unfortunately, for some sites it stops working after a while. My guess is that this happens when the site changes something about the login form. When that happens, the only way to get the functionality back seems to be to recreate the login in 1Password. I agree it's quite annoying.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @empireoflight,

As pervel mentioned, saving a new Login item for the site (with the "keep me logged in" option checked) should solve this. You can do that by following the steps here: How to save a Login manually in your browser

When entering your username & password on the site, make sure you the "keep me logged in" option is checked before you save a new Login. Then, once you save it, the new Login should remember that you checked that option and do it for you when you use 1Password to sign in again on that site.

I hope this helps, but please let us know if you have more questions about that. Cheers! :)

• empireoflight
    empireoflight
    Community Member

Thanks for the replies. @Drew_AG , the problem with making sure the "keep me logged in" option is checked is that if you forget to check it, it's too late once you hit submit and save the login to 1password. So maybe it's just that you get confused about how to proceed with the save login modal; if you save it, you know you'll have to edit it later.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@empireoflight: Without any real information about the site or your setup it's impossible to say for certain, but I suspect that what works for me to make sure 1Password unchecks the "remember me box" on many sites will work for you to do the opposite.

Manually saving a new login for the site will allow 1Password to save additional information from the form to better recreate it in the future. Just try these steps to save the login manually:

1. Navigate to the website
    2. Enter your login credentials and select/deselect any checkboxes/radiobuttons as desired
    3. Click the 'keyhole' icon to bring up the extension
    4. Click the 'gear' icon for Settings
    5. Click Save New Login
    6. Give it a name and Save
    7. Close the webpage and select your new login from the extension to have 1Password Go & Fill
    8. Submit the form manually if you have autosumbit disabled

I hope this helps! :)

• rassom
    rassom
    Community Member

I agree with the other users here about this being too much of a hassle for an easy task. If I want a site to remember me (it could be a less important site where I "don't care" if someone can use it logged in as me if they ie. steal my computer), it should be my decision, not 1passwords. And since it is possible in 1password, why not make it easier? I.e. when I edit a login I should be able to save whether the "keep med logged in" option should be checked or unchecked by 1password.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @rassom,

...it should be my decision, not 1passwords.

Hmm, I'm not sure if there's been a misunderstanding here, but 1Password doesn't "decide" this for you. 1Password simply tries to fill a sign-in form the same way you originally filled it when you created the Login item. The only decisions are yours - in other words, you decide how to fill out the sign-in form the first time, and when you create a Login item, 1Password remembers your decisions (i.e. the information you entered in the sign-in form, including whether or not you select/deselect any checkboxes/radiobuttons). If you select a "keep me logged in" checkbox and create a Login item, 1Password remembers that and tries to check that box for you in the future.

If the website makes a change to the sign-in form that prevents 1Password from filling it correctly, the solution is to save a new Login item for that site, because that allows 1Password to re-learn what it "knows" about that web form. On the other hand, if the web form hasn't necessarily changed but you want to do something simple like change whether or not a checkbox is selected, you can either save a new Login item or you can try editing the web form details saved in the existing Login item:

• Open the main 1Password app and find the the Login item in question.
    • Click the Edit button, then click "show web form details".
    • If you find a checkbox in the web form details that corresponds to the one on the website, click on it to check or uncheck it, then click Save.

I hope that helps, but let us know if you have more questions about that. Cheers! :)

• rassom
    rassom
    Community Member

@Drew_AG Thanks for the reply - very helpful :-) BUT what does one do when the "Remember me" (or similar wording) checkbox is not present after having clicked "show web form details"? I tried deleting a login to have 1password "relearn" the site and "get to know" the remember me checkbox on the site, but it still doesn't show up after clicking "show web form details".

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @rassom,

I've moved this thread to our Saving and Filling in Browsers forum, as it seems to be a better fit here. I hope you don't mind!

Just to make sure I understand: You manually saved a new Login item for that site (by filling the sign-in form and choosing "Save new Login" from 1Password mini / browser extension), but when you find that new Login in 1Password and click the "show web form details" button, you don't see anything there for the "remember me" checkbox. Is that correct?

Would it be possible to let us know the website in question? If so, we can try testing it ourselves to see if we can figure out what's going wrong. Thanks!

• rassom
    rassom
    Community Member

Hi @Drew_AG

I got it to work now. Thanks :)

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

That's great, @rassom. Glad Drew was able to help point things in the right direction. :)

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits
    Fort Worth, Texas

This discussion has been closed.