Programmatic way to stop syncing behind firewall

Options
jfnixon
jfnixon
Community Member

I'd prefer to not even attempt to sync my account on various firewalled LANs. My Mac recognizes when it has only proxied access to Teh Intertubes, so is there a way I can tell 1PW "please don't even try to sync right now, just use what you have stored locally." Yes, I know the data is encrypted inside the TLS connection, but call me old fashioned, there are times I don't want to use a proxy which terminates my TSL session to the Big Wide World. Is this doable?

1Password Version: 6.6.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS
Sync Type: Families account
Referrer: forum-search:stop syncing while at work

Comments

• john_m
    john_m
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jfnixon! So in essence, a "go offline" mode in 1Password for Mac? At the moment we don't have anything like that, but it's an interesting idea! I'll pass it along to our development team here for future consideration.

In the meantime, you could potentially use a local firewall on your Mac to block 1Password's traffic; it's a bit outside of our support scope, and firewalls can cause their own troubles by inadvertently blocking desired traffic, but in theory you could use one to block or permit 1Password's traffic at will. Get to a LAN where you don't want 1Password talking from your Mac, and engage the firewall... I hope that helps! :chuffed:

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member
    Options

@jfnixon if you happen to have Little Snitch 3 installed, you could achieve that with their automated profile switching. It works really well. You could create a "Work" profile that prevents 1Password (or any other apps that should not access the internet while working) to access the web. Then back home, LS would switch to the Home Profile and all would be open again (as open as you like ofc)

• Frank
    Options

Thank you for the suggestion @Manaburner ;-) We appreciate the assistance. :+1:

• jfnixon
    jfnixon
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, I do have Little Snitch, but I haven't used its profile switching capabilities. Sounds like a good hack. Thanks!

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member
    Options

@jfnixon You're welcome :)

• john_m
    john_m
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks @Manaburner :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.