Multiple questions/problems with OTP on Mac/iOS (solved, please ignore)

Options
zzzamboni
zzzamboni
Community Member
edited February 2017 in Mac

Hi,

Update: a severe case of PEBKAC: after more experimentation I realized that for some reason Dropbox was not running on my Mac, so nothing at all was being synced! After I fixed this, everything worked fine. Also, somehow after restarting things, the on-screen QR scanner worked fine, capturing the code automatically after a few seconds. Sorry for the noise :)

I've been using 1Password for years, and only yesterday discovered the OTP feature (I know...) I was delighted and started porting my OTP tokens from other apps to 1P. It works well, but I've encountered a few issues. Here are my questions and observations:

• I haven't been able to figure out how to capture a QR code from the screen on my Mac. I can position the translucent window over it, and then what? There's no "capture" button, and clicking "save" on the 1P edit window doesn't capture it either. Copying or typing the code works, but had to manually remove the spaces from the code (a tip I found in this post) to get the correct code.
  • Capturing the QR code from my phone works, and then the OTP code works fine on my phone.
  • Any changes to the OTP field don't seem to sync between my iPhone and my Mac. I can see that the data has been synced, but a) If I added the OTP code on my phone, I never see the code display/timer on my Mac, and viceversa. The only way I've found to make the codes between the two match is to manually enter the code (without spaces) on both devices.

Overall I'm delighted with the feature, but sync doesn't seem to be working properly. Any ideas for how to debug this?

Thanks, and as usual thanks for a great product!

1P Mac version: 6.6.1 (661010) AgileBits Store
1P iOs version: 6.5.2

1Password Version: 6.6.1 (661010) AgileBits Store
Extension Version: 4.6.3.90
OS Version: macOS 10.12.3
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• zzzamboni
    zzzamboni
    Community Member
    Options

Update: a severe case of PEBKAC: after more experimentation I realized that for some reason Dropbox was not running on my Mac, so nothing at all was being synced! After I fixed this, everything worked fine. Sorry for the noise :)

• Hey @zzzamboni,

Awesome, glad to hear you figured out what the problem was with sync! Are you still seeing issues with getting the QR code to be recognized in 1Password for Mac when adding an OTP?

• PARALEL
    PARALEL
    Community Member
    Options

I do have problem scanning QR Code since the last update... It was working fine before (and I use it everywhere I can).
    I'm using version 6.6 (660013).
    Sorry for jumping in this topic... I was looking for other people with the same problem.
    Thanks for you help!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@PARALEL: Which QR code? I've encountered some issues with bad QR codes in the past, and recently another user did:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/356928/#Comment_356928

Can you take a look at my suggestions there and see if they help shed some light on things? Be sure to validate the QR code just to be sure. If you're still having trouble, let me know where you're getting it from. Maybe it's something I can test myself.

• zzzamboni
    zzzamboni
    Community Member
    Options

@Meek thanks for your response! QR scanning has been working fine since I figured how to use it. At first I didn't realize I had to just place the window over the code and leave it there until it turns green - I was moving it around and trying to find a "scan" button or something like that. Too much magic for me :) Based on my first-time user experience, I guess it wouldn't hurt to add just a bit of explanation about how to use it.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the additional details about that, and for your feedback! We're always trying to improve 1Password, so hopefully we can make that clearer in the future.

If you need anything else, be sure to let us know. Cheers! :)

• PARALEL
    PARALEL
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty: Everything looks to be working now! :)

I had problems scanning QR code when activating 2FA on some sites... even with the scanner properly set over the code, it wasn't reading it. I've worked my way around by typing the codes manually in 1P (otpauth://otp...). I posted the issue here as it happened right after an update and was working before.

I gave it a try again today and it worked fine this time using version 6.6.2 (662004)! It's either my Mac that had a temporary issue with the scanner or it was fixed in a recent 1P update.

I've been using 1P everyday since 2009 and it has always been a fantastic product! Thanks for all the "love" you put into your work and your great support! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@PARALEL: Wow! Thank you for the kind words, and your support! We do put a lot of love into 1Password, and we couldn't without you and the rest of our awesome customers. :chuffed:

I'm glad to hear that it's working for you now. While I haven't had that particular failure on my own Mac, other stuff does seem to inexplicably stop working at times and necessitates a reboot. In the past when others have had issues like this with scanning QR codes, it seemed to be related to 3rd party software but we were never able to narrow it down for certain. Anyway, if you run into any further trouble, please let us know. We're here for you! :)

This discussion has been closed.