Watchtower counter incorrect [Will be fixed in the next beta update]

enderovski
enderovski
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hi,

Noticed that my Watchtower counter says "2" but it doesn't contain any items when selecting it?
Earlier I had 1 item in there and the counter was set to "3", when I changed the URL of that specific item it disappeared and the counter number decreased to "2".

And shouldn't the item disappear in the watchlist after you change the password? Or is it supposed to disappear if the URL changes also?

Here is the current look: http://imgur.com/a/x64Aw

1Password Version: 6.4.380d
Extension Version: 4.6.3.90
OS Version: Windows 8.1
Sync Type: 1Password Accounts

Comments

• MikeT
    edited March 2017

Hi @enderovski,

Thanks for reporting this. This is a known beta bug where we're incorrectly including trashed items in the counter but we don't display them. The next beta update will have the counter fixed to not include trashed items.

If you scroll down the list in Trash, you'll see 2 red dots.

As for changing the URL, that is another bug that we're fixing. Is this item the one with no password history saved, just a simple username/password with no password change recorded?

• enderovski
    enderovski
    Community Member

Hi @MikeT

Great that this is being fixed! :)

As for the item in watchtower; Yes, this item does not have any history of changed passwords, just a simple item with username/pass/url.

• MikeT
    edited March 2017

Great, that'll be fixed for sure. What happened was that we were calculating the last password change's timestamp and when there is no last password change's timestamp, we switch to the item's modification time instead of its creation time. That's why making any changes would remove it from Watchtower. However, once we fix this, you can expect to see them return to Watchtower.

• TheDave
    TheDave
    Community Member

Interesting. With Watchtower relying on the Created timestamp, shouldn't you make sure to preserve the Created timestamp when items are copied between vaults? If Watchtower can't tell when an item was really created, it seems to me that it will be unable to make me aware that my password was set during a time when a security event was occurring.

As it is now, at least when copying from my Dropbox 1Password 4 Vault, all items had their create time reset to the point when I initiated the copy.

• Hi @TheDave,

Unfortunately, that is correct and it is one of the things where we've wished we've thought of this issue many years ago but at the time, we didn't have multiple vaults, 1Password.com or anything that suggests people would be copying/moving items all the time. That isn't to say we're not working on this, we're looking into the idea of adding extra metadata for all password fields such as where it was recorded, when, how (manual or our generator) and so on, to integrate with Watchtower and other security audit much better.

We do preserve the creation time when you move items between vaults on 1Password.com. However, duplicating and some other situations do in fact create a new creation date. And yes, unfortunately, Watchtower will not help in these situations.

As for your local vaults, there's a known glitch where it imports all items with the time of the import timestamp, not the original ones. We're fixing this now and will ship it soon.

• TheDave
    TheDave
    Community Member

Fair enough. I lost mine using a "Copy to..." as there is no "Move" action in Windows yet.

I doubt much can be done now to fix the (loss of) the dates now, but as long as it's on the list of issues to be addressed, I'm happy.

• Hi @TheDave,

If you haven't modified most of the data, you could do a selective export again in 1Password 4 and re-import the data. In fact, stay tuned, you might see why but I don't want to say anything until it is tested.

• TheDave
    TheDave
    Community Member

Unfortunately a bunch of things have changed, but I don't really have a list. Depending on what I can export, I might be able to put together a list of what was modified after the migration, I'll wait to see what you're up to. I'm beta friendly, if you need another pair of eyes on some new code.

• Hi @TheDave,

I'd recommend waiting until we finish with the improved import process and see if it is worth doing it.

This discussion has been closed.