Can 1Password save and fill ZIP+4 extensions?

Options

Some sites require ZIP+4 extensions, some allow ZIP+4 extensions and some only allow the 5 digit ZIP code. It would be great if 1P could store the extension in a separate field in identities and then detect and fill the appropriate fields in a web page.

BTW, if you're going to ask me for the 1Password version, it would be helpful if I could copy the version # out of the "About" window.

1Password Version: 4.6.1.618
Extension Version: 4.6.2
OS Version: Windows 7
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey again @SHINSF1PASS,

Thanks for writing in. Sorry the version number isn't that easy to copy from, we'll certainly take that advice on board for the Windows app. Our Mac app currently does provide this copy functionality, so hopefully it will be there in Windows some day.

I haven't seen that ZIP+4 before, it was interesting to read up a little about. As you have found we don't have a way to fill in that kind of ZIP code as of today. I have two suggestions that might help:

If you find yourself needing this often, you could duplicate your Identity item and edit the zip code in the duplicate Identity item to include the ZIP+4 formatted ZIP Code. However this may be a little messy since if you ever need to change anything else in that item, you'll need to edit both items to keep them up to date.

An alternative to this would be to add a custom field like what I suggested for the Security Questions in that other thread I spotted you in. You can do this for Identities by adding a extra field to the bottom of an Identity item when viewing it in Edit mode. See a screenshot of this below to see what I mean:

Let's say you called the new field "ZIP+4" and added the full ZIP+4 Code, then if you viewed it in the 1Password Mini, you would be able to copy from that field and quickly paste it where it needs to go. Not quite as convenient as having it done as part of the Identity filling but at least it would be stored for you and be available on demand.

I hope this helps and thanks again for the suggestion. :+1:

Best regards,
    Matthew

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Just on the copying of the version from the about page @SHINSF1PASS,

While 1Password for Windows 4 doesn't have this, our newest version of 1Password - version 6 does provide this :chuffed:

If you ever decide to try it, you can copy the version by clicking on the settings button and from the menu that appears click on the version number at the bottom (see screenshot below) and it will be copied to the clipboard:

Best regards,
    Matthew

• SHINSF1PASS
    SHINSF1PASS
    Community Member
    Options

@matthew_ag Thanks for your reply (and for your reply on the other thread) It looks like there is no option to add custom fields to identities in 1Password v4.6.1.618.

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @SHINSF1PASS,

Sorry about that, I haven't really used 1Password for Windows 4 so not as familiar with it as I should be so I assumed it must be possible, I have now checked and cannot find any nice way for you to add a custom field for your ZIP+4 Code :(

The only way I found was to create either an Account / Wallet item which do support custom fields. Lets say you create an "Outdoor License" Wallet item which contains fields that can all be deleted and then add a new custom field for your ZIP+4 Code. Then give it a name of "ZIP+4 Code" to make it more recognizable. That way you will have your ZIP+4 Code available in 1Password however since neither Wallet / Account items aren't accessible via the browser extension you will have to open up the main 1Password app to access it.

While this isn't the most convenient option at least it doesn't have any duplicated data. The most convenient option would be to duplicate your Identity information as mentioned above (one Identity with ZIP Code and the other with ZIP+4). These two workarounds are unfortunately the best I can find for how to make this work but perhaps someone else could chime in here if they have a better solution. At least you know that in the most recent version of 1Password for Windows (version 6) this is possible if you choose to try it out.

I've created a test item in version 6 which is easily copiable from the browser extension. Here's the workflow for accessing the ZIP+4 Code in version 6 for comparison:

1. Click the 1Password browser extension button.
    2. Click Identity Category button.
    3. Right-click on Identity Item, select Copy > ZIP+4 Code (this was a custom field I added).

And a screenshot of this:

It was a very interesting request to understand and I hope this helps you in some way.

Thanks again for writing back.

Best regards,
    Matthew

This discussion has been closed.