To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

FIDO U2F for 1P subscription accounts?

Options
BXIA
BXIA
Community Member
edited October 2016 in Memberships

I read nearly all the articles and blog posts about 2FA for 1Password. Before AgileBits introduces 1Password account, it made sense to not to include 2FA for 1P because there's no authentication at all. Now I think it will be good to add 2FA to increase security.
Account key is different… It takes part in the decryption process, but it still can be stored somewhere unsafe. Two static keys can be dangerous as well, since passwords are stored online, people even don't need to steal data.
Human is always the weakest part of an authenticating system. My father stored all his credit card info in a word file and upload it online. Pure HTTP, no encryption at all, weakest website security, everyone can steal his information. Habits are really hard to change, nearly impossible. You just can't expect every one can be an expert of data security. It's still essential to have "what you have" as a factor.
This is a pretty old picture (now 1P has online storing), but it still makes sense. Almost all password managers have 2FA support. A quick, easy way is OTP. For those who really cares, U2F can be a really good method. Well obviously I am a big fan of 1P (of course) for years so I won't switch to other platforms, it's still important for us to have an extra layer of protection, even it just gives you the permission to login to the account.

My bank, ICBC, gives me a free physical token has embedded certificate and LED screen. Every time when I need to make transaction online, I'll have to insert the token (USB on PC or 3.5mm on smartphones) to authorize and confirm the transaction details from the LED screen. This is nearly four-factor (login password, token, unlock password for token and one-time-password sent via sms). To me 1Password is even more important, so I really hope this feature can be added.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@BXIA: You raise some good points. You're right that we as users will always be the weakest link in our own security, especially since so much of it depends on choices we make. 1Password is here to make it easier for each of us to make better choices, but "security" is a process, and not something to be used as a cudgel against the user. So while we should (and can) help people make better choices, we shouldn't (and can't) make the user do what's best for them; we can only provide the tools.

So you might be thinking now that, given these considerations, multifactor authentication is a perfect fit. But it's important to keep in mind that 1Password's security is based on something bulletproof: encryption. Authentication can be useful too, and it would certainly check that box on the table there, but 1Password isn't here to check boxes. There are a lot of other features we could add too, but it's important to factor in both security benefits and usability.

In the case of TOTP authentication, it doesn't improve encryption, which is the only way our data is truly secure. The authentication adds an additional step to accessing an account, but adding a step doesn't necessarily improve security. It's just another hoop to jump through. Of course, under ideal conditions, authentication means there's a certain burden of proof required to access sensitive information. But if AgileBits, as the gatekeeper, is compromised, someone else is in that position instead; or similarly, the TOTP token could be intercepted, either by compromising the device or the network being traversed. At that point the multifactor authentication provides no additional security and is essentially a placebo. And that's not something that helps anyone. That brings us right back where we started.

And of course then we're talking about the Account Key again. I think it's important to note that while you could store this on an insecure public webpage, the fact that this is possible doesn't make the Account Key insecure any more than we should get rid of credit cards because they can be misused or misplaced; anything can be. In the case of the Account Key, however, it has a few big things going for it:

1. The Account Key is generated on a single device (at account setup) and never transmitted.
    2. The Account Key is random, so it's actually making our weak (relatively speaking) Master Passwords (which we need to be able to memorize and type) stronger.
    3. The Account Key is used (along with the Master Password) to encrypt the data.

So someone absolutely needs access to both the Master Password and Account Key to be able to decrypt your data, even if they gain access to our servers. So unless you give these away, someone else having them (and, therefore, accessing your data) is an impossibility. Your passwords aren't stored "online" the way you implied; everything is encrypted locally on your device, so the server only ever gets an encrypted blob.

Now, when it comes to usability, multifactor options are often cumbersome, easy to lose control of, or just plain easy to lose (physically). If you love your LED dongle and have never lost it, you may be in the minority. On the other hand, we've been testing Duo multifactor authentication with 1Password Teams, and so far it looks promising. Since it can be tied to a device and uses a separate secure channel (e.g. not placing us in the "gatekeeper" role), it provides some benefits that many other options don't. But from my experience so far, I think chief among these is the ease of use. That's where a lot of other solutions I've used have really been lacking. I'm not sure that it's feasible to bring this to all 1Password Accounts, but this is certainly something we'll consider (along with other options) as we continue to improve 1Password.com. Thanks for letting us know that this is something you're thinking about as well! :)

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

I love my Yubikey and have never lost it...

Yet I would love Duo Mobile even more, but it has been posted on this forum that it will not come to Families... :(

• Ben
    Options

I'm not sure that is written in stone. Little is. Certainly our priority is to bring it to 1Password Teams, but then we'll see from there.

Ben

• BXIA
    BXIA
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Well, authorization is still important, especially we can't verify that every environment is trustworthy when you are using others' computer via 1Password.com etc.
    Account keys can be easily key logged, and it is STATIC, everyone can access to my database once thay key logged the keys.
    A dynamic changing 2FA option will be much better, it's the best way to deal with distrust environment.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Well, authorization is still important, especially we can't verify that every environment is trustworthy when you are using others' computer via 1Password.com etc.

@BXIA: It sounds like you mean authentication. While it is certainly useful, a bug in an authentication system could grant unauthorized access, which is a weakness which encryption doesn't have. Encryption uses math to enforce security, not permissions, which is why that's the foundation of 1Password.

Account keys can be easily key logged, and it is STATIC, everyone can access to my database once thay key logged the keys.

I think "easily" may be a significant overstatement. Given that the Account Key is generated locally, never transmitted, and only used initially to authorize a new device/browser, the opportunities for it to be "logged" even on a compromised machine are fairly limited. Certainly there are always risks, but someone who is in a position to capture your Account Key (or Master Password) already, by necessity, owns the machine, and they can almost certainly get what they want other ways at that point.

A dynamic changing 2FA option will be much better, it's the best way to deal with distrust environment.

A dynamic code can be intercepted on a compromised channel the same way you're pointing out that the Account Key could, so it certainly isn't "better". But using both in concert can be useful, provided we don't make it more difficult for someone to legitimately access their own data. Definitely something we'll continue to evaluate.

• BXIA
    BXIA
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Thanks for your reply. Well personally I think the best of a OTP is even if your passwords/verify code is leaked, other people still can't login to your account. Just like a browser with distrust extension, even if you get the OTP it's meaningless. If I'm right account key on Windows is stored as plain text, so pretty easy to get leaked.
    I think combine authentication with encryption will a good idea, it definitely worth to try.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

If I'm right account key on Windows is stored as plain text, so pretty easy to get leaked.

@BXIA: Not that I can see, but if you're able to find the Account Key stored in plaintext on your system that's definitely something we'll need to look into. Please shoot us an email at support+windows@agilebits.com with the details!

I think combine authentication with encryption will a good idea, it definitely worth to try.

The only potential downside is usability, so if we can find a way to make it accessible it will be pure win. That's really our mandate: 1Password is for everyone, not just self-avowed nerds like me.

• greening
    greening
    Community Member
    Options

As a long-term user of 1Password, I agree with the sentiments of the article. I worry about keyloggers, and there are many possible man-in-the-middle observer of 1Password passwords. Bluetooth keyboard, USB logging, other mechanisms.

I would prefer to be in control of my options, rather than having them dictated by the opinions of my password vault provider. So, I wish that 1Password would give me the option of using a 2-factor authentication mechanism. Many well-regarded and security-threatened companies provide this option: Google, Facebook, Github, etc. all support 2-factor, including through Google Authenticator or U2F. Does AgileBits really have such a superior model here with 1-factor?

Please thoughtfully consider how you want to approach this question. You can limit your market by deciding what's best for your users, or you can give your users choices. Of course, you can provide guidance to your users about what's best for them (and discuss the downsides, such as loss of a U2F key), while still giving them the choice. That's what I want.

By letting users make their own choices, you show you respect them and give them more flexibility.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

As a long-term user of 1Password, I agree with the sentiments of the article. I worry about keyloggers, and there are many possible man-in-the-middle observer of 1Password passwords. Bluetooth keyboard, USB logging, other mechanisms.
    I would prefer to be in control of my options, rather than having them dictated by the opinions of my password vault provider.

@greening: The only way to truly have any meaningful control over your options in that scenario is through control of your machine and the network you're using. If someone else is in control, you're really at their mercy...unless you simply leave 1Password locked and your data encrypted. Then you're good, but that's considerably less useful.

We go to a lot of trouble on both ends — both in the app, the browser, and on the server side — to reject insecure, untrusted, or otherwise questionable connections. But with or without a dongle, if you're sending information from a compromised machine and/or network, you have the same problem. They may not be able to independently access your data in the future from another machine (in the case of a one-time password), but that's small consolation if they were able to get all of your data in the current session.

Giving the user more options is always something we consider, but very carefully. You make it sound like it's just flipping a switch: "Ta-da! More options!" But I think it's important that anything like that be carefully vetted, developed, tested, and supported on an ongoing basis, in addition to being accessible. And ignoring the question of accessibility — so that anyone can use it — feels a lot like, "Only those with the same requirements and technical savvy as me matter". That's not the way we want 1Password to be at all. Any of us can say "I want U2F/YubiKey/etc." but what any of us wants individually is not the only consideration.

• jordan_b1
    jordan_b1
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Thank you for your insights. 1P is a great product and I've loved using it for several years. Having 2FA is important to a lot of users. I understand the reasoning behind authentication and encryption. I would like 2FA so I can log in to a browser/work/family member's computer etc. Right now I have to submit domain/email/key/masterpassword. However, those are are all static. I would like to be able to log in with something ephemeral. That way I can log in, do my tasks in 1P, then log out without worry someone has my information on their machine. Google offers a nice feature where, when logged in, you can revoke other logged in cookies. Implementing 2FA helps facilitate that authentication question. Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jordan_b1: I think it's important to keep in mind that the Master Password and Account key are never transmitted. That changes the landscape significantly. For example, as far as I know, Google does not use SRP. So a person-in-the-middle attack may be used to intercept login credentials — including the TOTP. Whereas even if a person-in-the-middle were possible with a connection to 1Password.com (currently this does not seem to be possible, given the strict security measures in place), they still cannot capture your login credentials because you never send them.

That said, you make some excellent points: about the static nature of passwords in the context of a compromised machine, where they could perhaps be captured when entered; and revocation. While it's a bit different (1Password doesn't use cookies for authorization and revocation) because revocation for any authorized app or browser is already possible within the web interface, revoking all of them is not intuitive. They can be revoked one by one, by performing recovery on an account (by 1Password Families/Teams Organizers/Owners), and also by using the Regenerate Account Key option in your profile. This is certainly something that could use improvement. Thanks for your feedback on all of this!

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

revocation for any authorized app or browser is already possible within the web interface

Also for Windows Apps? Last time I tried this did not work.

• Jacob
    edited November 2016
    Options

Right now it doesn't apply to 1Password for Windows. We're working on adding that to the app.

• BXIA
    BXIA
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty > The only potential downside is usability, so if we can find a way to make it accessible it will be pure win. That's really our mandate: 1Password is for everyone, not just self-avowed nerds like me.
    What about this: an OTP will be required only when a new client tries to get the data from 1Password.com (authentication), like the way Google does it. Since it's a matter of top secrets, I think most people will not treat this as a troublesome move.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It's certainly something we'll consider. :)

• niallyoung
    niallyoung
    Community Member
    Options

I really like the idea of a Yubikey for 3FA, but not for for its FIDO U2F compatibility - it can store a copy of a GPG secret key which can't be read off the chip (easily or quickly, assuming Yubikey or others keep up with their chip security of future models). A copy of the GPG public key could live in my 1Password Vault and be used in addition to TouchID and/or a Passphrase as a second-stage check once the Vault is unlocked?

TouchID instead of a passphrase I'm not yet comfortable with by itself, perhaps if Apple adds depth cameras or retina scan in a secure enclave one day. Better still would be TouchID/Retina/etc. plus a physical crypto token like a Yubikey. Then I can keep my passphrase only for emergency use to unlock a Vault without the Yubikey so I could revoke it. NFC and mobile client support later on would be awesome, perhaps U2F could play a role in the future as the API and device support matures?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@niallyoung: Very interesting. It may be possible, and we'll continue to explore different options. However, I think it's important to keep in mind that we really have to design 1Password so that is secure for everyone who uses it, not just folks who can afford dongles and manage GPG keys. We're responsible for ensuring that 1Password users' data is secure right up until the point where the database and Master Password (and Account Key) are in the possession of the attacker. And it's important to note that 2FA doesn't protect against this final scenario either, since it's being used for authentication. having the database and the keys needed to decrypt it bypasses authentication. I agree that 2FA can provide benefits in situations leading up to that, but can also be a significant point of weakness, as in most cases the user needs an escape hatch in case they lose the secret or can't connect, in the form of resets or offline codes. There's a more "hardline" approach that can be adopted of course, but along with the security benefits, the risk that the user will get locked out of their own data is much higher. The ultimate security of course is destroying the key, but at that point security isn't benefitting anyone. So there's a lot more that has to be taken into account.

• attrapereves
    attrapereves
    Community Member
    Options

I'm not sure that I like the "Account Key" idea for a cloud based service. I travel frequently and sometimes have to log into computers at hotels or at a friend's house. I must admit that I use LastPass (mostly because my work blocks the port for Dropbox) for my work logins because it's super easy to log into their website using my master password, then use Google Authenticator or Authy from my phone (or YubiKey as a backup option) for the two-factor authentication. I usually just copy and paste the passwords into the websites.

But how would this work with 1Password? I obviously don't want to keep my account key stored in plain text in something like Google Drive, nor do I want to carry around a paper copy of it. You also cannot keep it stored in 1Password as that seems redundant. I guess I'd only be able to pull up the passwords on my phone and manually enter them.

I'd really prefer it if 1Password would allow a master password, plus standard two factor authentication. LastPass does this and it works pretty nicely. I have no idea how they have it set up, but they claim that they have no access to your data and that everything is done locally on your machine.

• Frank
    Options

Hi @attrapereves - We appreciate the feedback and thank you for sharing your use case with us. If you're using a public computer (at a friend's house) and want to log into your 1Password account, you could manually type in the Secret Key from your trusted device. For instance, if I'm at my Dad's house and I need to log into my Families account. I go to the sign in page then I open 1Password on my iPhone then manually type in the Secret Key from there -

https://support.1password.com/account-key/#if-you-added-your-account-to-the-1password-app

I hope this helps and again thank you for letting us know about a feature you would like to see implemented in the future. Have a great day!

• niallyoung
    niallyoung
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty TouchID bypasses the need to use the Master Password right, so right now you have a feature which lowers the bar. What I'm suggesting is adding another factor so that this TouchID bar is raised a bit higher than where it is now. GPG keys aren't required here, but it's a nice bonus in that Users can manage their own keys if they know how - otherwise a key generated on-chip on a Yubikey is pretty easy to setup and use.

Not everyone has TouchID, and yes not everyone will have a Yubikey, yes. Obviously security of all users is paramount - but that seems pretty well designed and implemented already - it's the convenience features like TouchID which I think need some work on improving their level of security. I just wanted to make sure you understood my intent here - to use a Yubikey in conjunction with TouchID, increasing the security of TouchID with more factors (and hopefully more hardware/secure-enclave features as Apple adds more like Retina / IR fingerprint / etc.).

Like the existing TouchID implementation, the User should always be able to use the Master Password, Account Key and Database as their fail-safe. It would just be nice to have convenience features like TouchID with a bit more security than they have now. Thanks for listening! :)

• Frank
    Options

Hi @niallyoung - We appreciate the additional clarification, and I'm sure @brenty will be happy to reply back soon. I completely understand your suggestions and you're correct not everyone has Touch ID. As Brenty stated previously, "we'll continue to explore different options." It's definitely a touch balancing act between security and convenience. Thank you again for reaching out to us and sharing your thoughts. We're always happy to listen and the door is always open :-)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

TouchID bypasses the need to use the Master Password right, so right now you have a feature which lowers the bar.

@niallyoung: This sounds like Touch ID is a bad thing, but based on the rest of your comments I take your meaning to be that it's just easier for people to use. We're not going to be able to implement a wide variety of things since that means not only more complexity from a technical perspective (which, frankly, is the enemy of security and stability), but also for users, who then have to navigate all of the options. So it really helps to get feedback about what you and others would like to see. Thank you! :)

This discussion has been closed.