Why don't some websites instantly load up?

Options

Some websites load to a cover page, and then I have to locate the login sign and go back to the 1Password key and hit it in order to open the website. Why is that. Is there a fix or something I just don't understand?

On the other hand, some sites only load the user name, and then you have to establish another 1Pass key to enter the password and you have to do it manually. Is this just an unusual website, or have I got it all wrong?

Most of my websites load just fine. The above mentioned are just a few, but they don't cooperate very well.

1Password Version: 6.6.2
Extension Version: 4.6.1
OS Version: OS X 10.12.3
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @jazzman,

Much of it has to do with the design choices made by the designer of a particular site. Our open and fill only works with sites where the login form is available as soon as the page has finished loading. If the site has designed it where you need to interact with an element to make the login form visible it is unlikely 1Password will be able to fill after the open in open and fill. I wish more sites took Amazon's approach of a simple and clean login form on a dedicated page. It's simple for them to maintain and easy and reliable to interact with.

On your second query, can you elaborate a bit please. Are you referring to sites that spread the login process over two pages or do you find you use some sites where we're not filling all the correct fields in one go despite them all being present on the page? If you have a site in mind and don't mind sharing the URL of the login page here in our public support forums it might help us to see the site in question. That way we'll have a common image to base the discussion on :smile:

• ings
    ings
    Community Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

I have a scenario for the second query, and one that's been bugging me for a while! :)

I use the Sun Life benefits site. Open and fill works fine in macOS Safari, including auto-submit, but in iOS 1Password, with the built-in browser, the Sun Life login page appears but the logon fields are not auto-completed. However if I click on the 1Password key icon, then click on the Sun Life entry, the logon fields will be populated, after which I can manually hit submit.

In other words, open and fill works fine in macOS Safari, including auto-submit, but I have to manually drive the process on iOS.

The URL is: http://www.sunnet.sunlife.com/signin/mysunlife/home.wca

Dave Ings

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ings,

So there are some differences in 1Password for iOS because of how different the iOS platform is but there is something odd happening with this particular example too. So one thing we can't do on iOS is submit the form after filling, that particular feature is Mac and Windows only for now. When using 1Password's 1Browser though, which is what happens when you briefly tap on a website field in a Login item we should open and fill. I see this working when I test my Amazon Login item for example but there is something odd happening with this site as you're right, it doesn't work. It will open the page but it doesn't fill.

Out of curiosity, do you find Sun Life is an outlier and that most behave or do you find many don't open and fill in 1Password for iOS?

Why we're not filling as part of the open and fill I'm not sure. It has me puzzled, especially given a subsequent fill does work. I am noticing there is some sort of redirect happening, I see the URL changes from the one stored in the Login item before it returns. It might be this is throwing 1Password off and if it is there might not be a lot we can do as whatever is happening is by the site. Hopefully most other Login items work for you though.

• ings
    ings
    Community Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

Hi @littlebobbytables,

The Sun Life site is (for me) an outlier. Usually I find little difference between macOs and iOS 1Password open and fill (except for auto-submit, as you point out). However it's a Web site I use frequently, so I notice it more than I might other sites. Thanks.

Dave Ings

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @ings,

It's good to know it is an outlier although that makes it no less annoying if it's one you frequently use. I only hope there's at least a little consolation in knowing what you're seeing is reproducible, just so you're not left wondering if it's anything you've done or not done. Thank you for bringing it to our attention as well. I only wish I could be more confident about whether there is anything we can do to resolve it but iOS is trickier than Mac for a number of reasons. Sorry there wasn't something more positive I could offer you right now.

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member
    Options

Hello @littlebobbytables ,

I think you answered both of my questions in your first paragraph. All in all, I think 1Pass is working very well for me except for a few unusual websites. I can deal with that. Based on your answer, I don't think it's me. It's the websites.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jazzman,

Some sites certainly find interesting ways of creating something as 'simple' as a login page or home page. Hopefully the exceptions are few and it's always worth asking when you find one. Sometimes there are creative ways to work with a site or there truly is a way for 1Password to change that affords better compatibility.

This discussion has been closed.