Open 1PW6 and Chrome extension opens/closes in a flash and can't be used.

lwmcmahon
lwmcmahon
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hi,

Chrome Version 57.0.2987.98

1. It seems that after awhile, keeping the 1PW6 app open coincides with the Chrome extention not working. It opens and then closes instantly. Sometimes it seems that I can close and reopen Chrome for a time and it works for a while.....then something happens that I can't discern that causes this instant closing problem.

2. What is the best process for updating a password. I tend to open 1pw6 to generate a password which I put in a txt file temporarily, then copy it when I go into the site to change the password. (this gets pretty awk when I can't open the PW generator in Chrome because of the above issue #1.

3. Is there a way to restore a 1PW entry that hs been moved to trash?

1Password Version: 6.4.377d
Extension Version: 4.6.4.1
OS Version: WIN 10
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• lwmcmahon
    lwmcmahon
    Community Member

2 Updating a password.

One thing that does NOT work is to go to the entry in the 1PW6 app that you want to change the password for and then generate a new PW in Chrome and copy it, because it puts you in a newly created a PW entry in the 1PW6 app and leaves the account entry I was looking to modify. What purpose does this server? Why not just copy the password to the clipboard?

Furthermore, what good are these password entries in the 1PW6 application? There are so many repeat entries that I have no idea which one is real. Probably all created everytime I generate a password and ask it to copy. The purpose of this behavior escapes me.

Larry

• lwmcmahon
    lwmcmahon
    Community Member

Hi,

Is there some way to tell the 1PW6 app to not go back to the list of accounts that start with A? Just leave me where I am and not constantly send me to the top of the alphabet? I really wish it would quit doing this.

Larry

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@lwmcmahon: Thanks for reaching out.

1. I haven't noticed this, but I tend to restart the browser regularly for updates. Is your maybe just getting hung up because Chrome has an update pending?
    2. While we'll be making changes in this area to streamline password changes in the browser, currently the best approach is to open the login in the main 1Password window, click edit, and generate a new password there. Then, instead of saving immediately, first use the login in your browser to login and fill the update form (with the current saved password), and then copy and paste the newly generated password to change it on the site before saving the login. 2b. "Password" items in 1Password are a safety net so you don't lose a generated password if you didn't save it.
    3. There isn't yet a "restore" option, but you can Copy it to one of your vaults by right-clicking.

Is there some way to tell the 1PW6 app to not go back to the list of accounts that start with A? Just leave me where I am and not constantly send me to the top of the alphabet? I really wish it would quit doing this.

It sounds like you just want 1Password mini to remember the previous scroll position each time you open it. I'm not sure it's a good thing to do since it assumes we always want to return to where we were searching last, but we can consider it. However, I think you'll find it more efficient to simply search to narrow down what you're looking for, since scrolling through many items is tedious even if we implement your suggestion.

• lwmcmahon
    lwmcmahon
    Community Member
    1. No, this issue spans Chrome updates.
    2. Too prone to my pressing done rather than cancel by mistake loosing the current pw. Especially awk when issue #1 is in play and I am trying various things to get it working again so I can login. I never want to change the current password in 1pw until after making the actual password change, so I generate the pw in Chrome.
    3. When I open it? It remains open on my second screen between logins. Not "always", but then I don't always need to go back to the top either. Actually, I often find myself going in sequence for logins and this is the source of my ask. But if you are relying on the search, why do you need to go back to the top to do a search? BTW, I have never used these pw entries, let alone figure out which one of the numerous identically named one I might need.

I thought that copy was to the clipboard because the panel is often too small to display the entire password to be sure it is highlighted b4 making a copy to the clipboard.

Larry

• MikeT
    edited March 2017

Hi @lwmcmahon,

1. It seems that after awhile, keeping the 1PW6 app open coincides with the Chrome extention not working. It opens and then closes instantly. Sometimes it seems that I can close and reopen Chrome for a time and it works for a while.....then something happens that I can't discern that causes this instant closing problem.

There's an issue we're investigating where having the item editor open in the main app will cause 1Password mini to disappear. It has to do with the editor focusing its item aggressively (thus dismissing 1Password mini) and we're working on fixing this.

Too prone to my pressing done rather than cancel by mistake loosing the current pw. Especially awk when issue #1 is in play and I am trying various things to get it working again so I can login. I never want to change the current password in 1pw until after making the actual password change, so I generate the pw in Chrome.

While we will fix the issue, I do want to point out that saving the new password will not cause you to lose any passwords and in fact, you can just save it and your old password will be saved as part of the item's password history that you can review on the bottom like so:

Just in case you might not be aware but as a feature of 1Password.com, all of your items come with a history that you can revert to any time (365 days worth on Individuals/Families). So if you make a mistake, you can quickly revert it on 1Password.com web app, we will bring this into the apps in the future. Here's the process on the web app.

What purpose does this server?

None, this is a focus issue when you have the main window open. We're working on fixing the main focusing issue between the main 1Password app and 1Password mini, which also is the issue you had with the editing and why the app keeps going back up to 'A'. We will make the app smarter and remember more of what you're doing as it runs some code in the background. Right now, every time it has to do something, it does a final refresh call that resets the view. We have to manually add more code for each event, so that it stays in the same place.

I thought that copy was to the clipboard because the panel is often too small to display the entire password to be sure it is highlighted b4 making a copy to the clipboard.

No, it is to copy and paste into the new password fields. 1Password will automate the rest for you, it'll auto-save a new Password item with the password you've copied and put it in the clipboard for you to paste in. In addition, once we improve 1Password, when you submit the password change form, 1Password should prompt an update dialog to save the updated password and remove the redundant Password item but this isn't available at the moment.

Over time as we continue to make improvements, the Password Generator will gain the options to "Fill", "Copy without copying to Clipboard", word-wrap the long password field, record the site or frontmost app you're on, and more. 1Password mini will gain the support for password updates very soon.

• lwmcmahon
    lwmcmahon
    Community Member

Hi,

That is a lot of info to digest... so thanks! I don't recall ever seeing password history in each account, but I will look later today.

Consistency, the mobile app does not resort and place you at the top of the directory.
    Would like the PC version to do the same,

Looking fwd to the fix to the disappearing Chrome panel. I can't seem to determine what I do that triggers it.

Larry

• You're welcome. We hope to address that issue soon.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@lwmcmahon: Alos, just to clarify, 1Password has saved "previously used passwords" for login items for as long as I can remember with local vaults, but with 1Password.com we're taking this a step further with item history for everything. Very handy. :)

• lwmcmahon
    lwmcmahon
    Community Member

Hi,

Probably so, but I seem to be learing by the seat of my pants. I tend to do things w/o relying on all do the things 1pw can do in the mobile app and pc. Is there a doc that I can read for each so I can brush up?

Larry

• MikeT
    edited March 2017

Hi @lwmcmahon,

Most of our documentations are on https://support.1Password.com.

Here's the Getting Started with 1Password for Windows guide: https://support.1password.com/getting-started-windows/, you can review and skim to the bottom of the guide where it has additional information you can review.

This discussion has been closed.