To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Changing the account-key/emergency kit

Options
ombakr
ombakr
Community Member

I already have a 1password account. I saved the emergency-kit (or account key) on both my laptop and desktop. Unfortunately, my laptop got stolen, but I still have a copy of the emergency-kit on my desktop. Therefore, I can still use my account. However, I am a little concerned about the the fact that someone else (whoever stole my laptop) may also have access to the emergency-kit. Even though they could NOT access my account since they do not know the master password, it does remove one layer of security. Before, they had to have both the master password and the account key in order to access my account. Now, all they need is the master password. So I feel that my account is slightly less secure since my laptop was stolen. So my question is the following:

Is there anyway to change/get a new account-key??

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• csmoran9
    csmoran9
    Community Member
    Options

hi ombakr

the agile team cannot change or reset this for you. You would have to start over but they can help you with that. here is the link to contact the team.

support@1password.com

cheers
    conor

• Meek
    Options

Hey @ombakr and @csmoran9,

Actually, I'm happy to say that you can indeed change your Account Key. We can't reset it if you lose access to your account, but since you can sign into your account, you can change it yourself.

Just head on over to your Profile page and hit the little pencil icon next to your account key. Once you've gone through the steps to change it, you can generate a new emergency kit from that page as well.

Let us know if you have any more questions!

• csmoran9
    csmoran9
    Community Member
    Options

My apologies, I read the support page wrong.
    Thank you meek for the correction.
    Again apologies

• Meek
    Options

No worries @csmoran9, you were totally right in the case that the account can't be accessed :) Thanks for your help!

This discussion has been closed.