To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Merged existing 1P to new account. Now have 'Personal' vault & former 'Primary'. Can I delete old?

Options
James2001
James2001
Community Member

I merged my existing 1Password data to a new account. Now have 'Personal' vault and former 'Primary' vault. see both in browser extension drop down. Can safely delete the old vault?..

1Password Version: 6.6.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.3
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

What I did was start over (deletes all data) and signed into the the family account, now just 1 vault. Not sure if this is the correct way of doing this, but it worked.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@James2001, @prime: You can also go to 1Password Preferences > Advanced and disable the local vault option there (which will destroy the Primary vault), but this has some minor drawbacks:

• If you have secondary vaults, you'll need to delete those manually first.
    • And it just feels "cleaner" to start over from scratch and use only the 1Password.com account, as prime mentioned.

But the great thing about 1Password.com is that once you've got your data there it's perfectly safe to nuke 1Password on a device and start over, since you're data is safe already. Cheers! :)

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty I thought I tried this and it didn't destroy that vault and figured out to start over. Btw the starting over is WAY better and easier then what it was. I started over before to re-encrypt my vault and I had to delete everything, and there were a lot of steps at the time.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@prime: Oh heavens yes! It was a relatively short time ago (last year even?) that we didn't have a "start over" option in the app, only a long knowledgebase guide with many steps to manually delete things.

Oh wow. That was only in 6.3. Yeah, I'm really glad we were able to make it that easy. :lol:

• James2001
    James2001
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty, @prime, thanks so much for the advice. I checked the contents of my secondary vaults. I then manually copied what was needed, then simply deleted them. I was not able to delete the old Primary vault at this point. Then I double checked everything was fine with the new online version. Reloaded the SW onto my Mac Book and linked the account, effectively starting over. I still had the old Primary as an option, but now I was able to delete the old Primary leaving just the new Personal. All looks to be working in great order across Mac Book, iPad and online as needed. Clean start. Thanks again

• Meek
    Options

Hey @James2001,

Awesome, on behalf of @brenty and @prime's help, I'm glad to hear you're all set! If there is anything else we can help with, just let us know.

This discussion has been closed.