What's the purpose of a manual search, if the browser extension doesn't fill in?

Options

The title says it all. Some of my Logins stored in 1PW don't have a specific URL so the automatic fill in doesn't work. When I search for the login in the browser extension and hit enter, nothing happens. This is very sad.

1Password Version: 6.6.3
Extension Version: 4.6.3.90
OS Version: 10.12.3
Sync Type: DropBox
Referrer: forum-search:What's the purpose of a manual search, if the browser extension doesn't fill in?

Comments

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @Maxican,

Thanks for writing in and it's a great question. The Password filling only works if the website field is provided and matches the website you're viewing. The matching is based on the domain of the URL. This is intentionally done to protect against phishing websites that are trying to steal data. Phishing is getting more common and more sophisticated.

Sometimes it's easy to recognize fake websites because they web page they display is often low quality and you can spot the flaws between it and the real website. However there is nothing preventing the scammers from creating a perfect duplicate of a website that looks like Google and provides a sign in flow that appears to be perfectly legit. The only way to be sure which is the fake website and which is the real one is by checking that the domain the website is hosted on is correct. There is a recent example of a phishing website stealing usernames and passwords for Google Accounts which was reported in Fortune magazine.

By relying on 1Password to detect that the web page you're viewing is actually from the correct website you gain a very high degree of protection against these kinds of attacks. I hope this explains why 1Password behaves the way it does.

As regards why the main purpose of manual search exists. It allows a user to search for a Login they wish to use and then use the Go & Fill feature to open the website specified in the Login item and automatically log you in. Searching for Password items can be done to find a Password item to fill in on websites too if you're already on the correct website.

I hope this helps - if you've any further questions or something doesn't makes sense don't hesitate to let me know.

Best regards,
    Matthew

• Maxican
    Maxican
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @matthew_ag,
    thank you for your quick and profund explanation of this behaviour. This makes perfect sense. Wish there would be somekind of pro-user feature to enable this behaviour plus a last warning dialog like "You're about to fill in your credentials on this website. Are you sure?" But then again, modal dialogs are from hell and I guess one should simply add URLs to Login items in 1PW in the first place.
    Thanks again for pointing out the Go & Fill feature. This is fantastic. Makes most of my bookmarks obsolete. :)

Best regards,

Max

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Maxican: I'm glad Matthew's explanation helped. I don't think that's something we'll add as a feature, as it completely negates the phishing protection 1Password offers, and many people would use it without understanding the security implications because it would make things easier in some cases. The best thing to do is, if you're sure that you want 1Password to give your login's credentials to multiple sites, simply add multiple URLs to it. This allows the same workaround, but on a site-by-site basis, which is best. 1Password has "bookmarks" for myself and many others too, so we want make sure that we can trust it to do the right thing and only fill at appropriate sites. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.