Master Password and Secret (Account) Key for 1Password Families

k8user
k8user
Community Member
edited March 2017 in Families

I am setting up 1P Family and am at the "Create Your Master Password" page.
1) Is this MASTER PASSWORD for the whole family?
2) Or is it just for me?
3) If this MASTER PASSWORD is just for me can I use the master password that I already use (I'm a long time 1P user)?
4) I'm going to be inviting other long-time 1P users - can THEY continue to use their old master passwords? Or do they now use this MASTER PASSWORD?
Thanks,
Kate

1Password Version: 6.6.1
Extension Version: ? do I have this?
OS Version: Mac OS 10.12.3
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:setting up family master password

Comments

• k8user
    k8user
    Community Member

I have the FAMILY account key stored in a "good safe place" but I will never be able to find it if I need it. Do you have any suggestions for logical, intuitive places to keep it? (Keep it simple - I am not young...)
    I'm trying to organize the FAMILY. Does each one get their own account key or do I give each of them the account key that I have?
    Thanks,
    Kate

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided
    Referrer: forum-search:account key

• Ben
    Ben
    edited March 2017

Hi Kate!

Thanks for taking the time to write in.

Each user gets their own Master Password that is not (and should not) be shared with anyone. If you're already using 1Password and have a good Master Password you can indeed re-use that.

Thanks.

Ben

• Hi Kate,

I'd suggest printing your Emergency Kit and storing it in a fire safe, safety deposit box, or with your attorney.

Each family member will have their own unique Account (Secret) Key & Master Password.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask. Thanks.

Ben

• Hi @k8user - Just as Ben mentioned previously, I store my Emergency Kit in a fireproof safe. A safety deposit box is also another popular location customers have mentioned plus it's located off-site and you can't get any more secure than a bank :-) I hope our suggestions have helped and keep us posted if you have any additional questions. :+1:

• k8user
    k8user
    Community Member

But every time you add a new device you need to {get in your car, drive to the bank, access your safety deposit box, get your code, get some groceries, get the car washed, take it home, (start some laundry, fix dinner, clean up kitchen, play, read stories, pick up house, move laundry to dryer - go to bed). Repeat from ( to ) for the next few days while becoming increasingly irritated because you can't use 1Password on your new device. On the fourth day look all over for the code that you made a special trip for three days ago} then repeat from { to }.

• @k8user It's quite a bit easier if you have another device that you've signed in to already :) Just use the setup code on that device to sign in and you'll be all set to go.

This discussion has been closed.