To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Quick question

Options
TDK1044
TDK1044
Community Member

I have a quick question for the team members here. When I was deciding which password manager to go with a few months back, there were four or five good candidates to choose from, and I chose 1password because I liked its simplicity of use, the families option, the subscription model, and the look of it. One thing I found strange was that all of the other password managers offered 2 factor authentication, but 1password did not. I'm a Luddite when it comes to tech stuff, but I have used 2 factor authentication at work, and it does seem to offer an additional layer of security, so I'm curious as to why 1password didn't go the same route as Dashlane, LastPass and others? It wasn't a deal breaker for me, but I could see how it might be for some people, when all of the other password managers have it. Curious.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Frank
    Options

Hi @TDK1044 - That's a great question! We believe this is another (important) feature that separates us from our competitors.

Our Secret Key offers better protection compared to two-factor authentication. You're the only person who knows the keys to decrypt your data. Your Secret Key is unique and is randomized during the sign up process. Your Secret Key fully encrypts your data in conjunction with your Master Password. We have a great support article that goes into greater detail on how this works and if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to let us know :+1:

https://support.1password.com/secret-key-security/#your-secret-key-is-better-than-two-factor-authentication

• TDK1044
    TDK1044
    Community Member
    Options

I see. Thanks, Frank. I think that websites grading and comparing password managers should maybe place an * in the 2 Factor Authentication box for 1password, with a sentence at the bottom of the page explaining that 1password has its own version of 2FA called 'Two-Secret Key Derivation'.

• Frank
    Options

Hi @TDK1044 - That's an interesting idea :+1: I'll have to mention this to my team. I'm glad the information was helpful and keep us posted if you have any additional questions :-) Have a fantastic weekend!

This discussion has been closed.