To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Migrate Dropbox to 1Password.com from Android

This discussion was created from comments split from: Sync Vaults to 1Password.com.

Comments

• FionaPark
    FionaPark
    Community Member

Hi Jacob, I think I have a similar issue to kebabking, but I can't seem to follow your solution. I have some 1password licenses on my older smartphones (androids). They are syncing ok at the moment via keychain on Dropbox. I got a new Mac laptop recently, and instead of buying a 1password license for it, I set up a 1password account. I installed 1password 6 on the new Mac laptop, but can't seem to get it to sync with the keychain in Dropbox. Nor can I get the 1password account on the internet to import/sync any logins from the Dropbox keychain. Please help. Best regards, Fiona

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@FionaPark: Just to clarify, local vaults (like those you've stored in Dropbox) cannot sync with 1Password.com; similarly, data stored on 1Password.com can only be accessed by logging into your 1Password.com account in the apps or browser. You can, however, move the data from your old vaults to your 1Password.com account:

Migrate to a 1Password account

And you can always copy any data between your vaults using the 1Password apps too. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• FionaPark
    FionaPark
    Community Member

Hi brenty
    I've watched that video a dozen times and it isn't helpful to me. The sequence of events she discusses don't happen for me. If it helps I can make a word document with screenshots of me trying to follow her instructions, to show where our paths diverge.
    Regards, Fiona

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@FionaPark: Ah, sorry about that. Depending on which OS and 1Password version you're using, it certainly may not look the same as the video. I don't have any information about what you're using to go into more detail, but if you scroll down you'll see that there are step-by-step instruction that may better apply to your setup.

If not, please let me know exactly the steps you're taking and where you're running into trouble. And knowing the OS, 1Password, and device you're using will help. You can also take a screenshot and include it in your reply. Just click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Be sure not to post any sensitive information, as this is a public forum. We'll get this sorted out! :)

• FionaPark
    FionaPark
    Community Member

Hi Brenty, Ok I'm kind of ready to abandon 1 Password, but I'll give it one more go. I'm going to a work meeting now but will send the info later today and see what can be done. Regards, Fiona

• FionaPark
    FionaPark
    Community Member

Hi Brenty. I have 4 devices that I'd all like syncing together.

• The first one is an LG G5 mobile phone, running 1 Password for Android version 6.5.1. It is successfully syncing with my agilekeychain via Dropbox, and has 254 items in it, including 211 logins.
    • The second is a Huawei Mate 8 mobile phone, also running 1 Password for Android version 6.5.1. It is successfully syncing with my agilekeychain via Dropbox, and has 254 items in it, including 211 logins.
    • Note that the two Android mobile phones ask me regularly if I want to log into a 1 Password account on them, but I keep declining because I'm afraid that I'll end up with an empty 1 Password app like I've got on the internet and on the MaxBook Air - see below
    • Next I have the MacBook Air that I'm typing on now. It is running OSX Seirra 10.12.3. I have downloaded 1Password version 6.6.4 onto the computer, and also have the browser extension (aka 1 Password mini I think) working in my browser which is Firefox 52.0.1. The only 2 logins on this 1 Password app are the two that I've saved today while mucking around trying to get my old keychain data imported. So it's effectively empty.
    • Finally I have a Dell PC, which I can't check right now.
      The MacBook Air is only a recent purchase (I broke the previous one by spilling water into the keyboard) and so I thought that rather than buying another 1 Password license for it, I'd sign up for a 1 Password account. I now have a paid-up 1 Password account, but again if I log in to it online, there are zero logins there and I am not prompted to import/copy across any data from the Dropbox agilekeychain vault.
      I'll send a part 2 of this message later with the details of what isn't working from the instruction video.
  • FionaPark
    FionaPark
    Community Member

Using the instructions on this video https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/
    The instructions up to about the 1:17 point in the video don't apply to be because they deal with setting up a new 1Password account (I'd already done that) and making sure that the 1Password app on my MacBook Air is logged in with the 1Password account it already is). From the 1:17 mark, the suggestion is that I'll be able to move saved items from the 1Password app into my 1Password account. But there are no saved items in the 1Password account on my MacBook Air because I can't get the items from the agilekeychain in Dropbox
    The video isn't relevant after that
    I hope this makes sense. If it doesn't I'll try again to explain
    Sincerely, Fiona

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2017

@FionaPark: Thanks for following up, and for persevering. It sounds like you're not able to move your data over on your MacBook Air because you don't have anything there. This should be fairly straightforward. Please follow these steps:

1. Backup your 1Password data
    2. Open 1Password on your MacBook Air
    3. Open your existing data from Dropbox
    4. Login to your 1Password.com account (Preferences > Accounts)
    5. Move items from the Primary vault to your account
    6. Login to your 1Password.com account on each of your other devices to access your data

If you get stuck anywhere, just let us know. We're here for you. :)

• FionaPark
    FionaPark
    Community Member

Hi brenty
    1. Step 1 - doens't make sense - I have nothing to backup
    2. Done
    3. Fails - I double click on the agilekeychain to open the existing data, and get the following error message

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@FionaPark: Thanks for following up. Sorry for not being clearer. You said that you have data in 1Password on two Android devices, and it wasn't clear to me if you also had some on your PC. No matter what, it's important to have a backup as a precaution.

It's sounds like you're running into trouble on step 3 because you've already setup 1Password for Mac only using your 1Password.com account. Is that correct? That wasn't clear to me from your previous comments, so I appreciate knowing that.

1. If so, go to Preferences > Advanced and enable local vaults there.
    2. You can then go to Preferences > Sync and setup the Primary vault to use Dropbox sync.
    3. Select your existing vault in Dropbox.

Then you'll have both your Dropbox vault (the Primary now) and your 1Password.com account vaults (Personal/Private, for example) and can copy data between them. Let me know how it turns out!

This discussion has been closed.