Lost master password on family account.

dontaut
dontaut
Community Member

Hi,

I haven't set up any members in my 1Password family and I have seemed to have forgotten my master password. Please help! I've mailed support a few times and have not heard back since.

I don't mind having my account recreated.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

I bet there is an easy way to do this. The help on the forum is very good here.
    @khad, @brenty, @Frank, and others are very helpful.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2017

Thanks, @prime!

I'm sorry you're having some trouble, @dontaut, and I apologize for the delay.

I've sent you the account deletion email, so you can start over. If you're reading this, it should have already arrived in your inbox. Please let me know if you didn't get it, or if you have any other trouble. :+1:
    ref: TIX-97463-273

• dontaut
    dontaut
    Community Member

Woohoo! Thanks @khad

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Happy to help! Have a great rest of your week. :)

• ThorTheNinja
    ThorTheNinja
    Community Member

I seem to have also lost my Master Password after migrating to Families. All the passwords that I can think to try, are no longer working. I don't mind losing the data as this point. What information do I need to get this started.

• Hi @ThorTheNinja - Sorry to hear about the master password. Do you still have access to all your data within your Primary vault? If so, I just sent you over a special link that will give you the ability to delete the account and re-create a new one using the same email address. It expires within 24 hours so keep us posted if you didn't receive it or have any questions. Keep in mind, once the account has been deleted any data associated with the account will be un-recoverable.

• ThorTheNinja
    ThorTheNinja
    Community Member

Thank you so much @Frank ! That is most helpful!

• Frank
    edited March 2017

Hi @ThorTheNinja - Anytime, I'm glad to hear that helped. :+1: When you set up the new account, make sure you print out your Emergency Kit then write your Master Password in the space provided at the bottom. Keep this in a safe & secure location :-) If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to us. Have a great weekend.

• kevlar
    kevlar
    Community Member

@Frank - I'm glad that you guys were able to assist people that forgot their master passwords, but I'm also concerned that this account reset process poses a security/data loss risk? For example, let's say someone compromised my email that I used for my 1Password account, they could then create a support ticket claiming that I had forgotten the master password and would like the account and data to be reset. If I'm understanding correctly, support would then send the account reset link and the malicious user could wipe out my vaults and those of my family members. This would be catastrophic for us.

Thanks!

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@kevlar I think only a family organizer can reset the password. So if my daughter master password needs to be reset, she calls me.

• @kevlar, that is correct. Unfortunately, your email address is the only way for us to prove who you are. This is why it is so very important to have a strong password for your email address. Almost every other site will allow anyone to reset your account password by simply sending a password reset link to your email address.

We cannot reset your Master Password for you, but we can delete the account when requested to do so. However, accounts are not permanently deleted immediately. If someone were to compromise your email address and delete your account, you could contact us and have us restore it.

What @prime is talking about is the ability to recover another person's account. That is different because the family organizer sends the other family member an email that will let them choose a new Master Password and still keep all of their information. We at AgileBits cannot do that because we do not have the keys to your data like the family organizer does.

• Frank
    edited March 2017

Hi @kevlar - As Rob mentioned, by design, we don't store the keys to your account. We can't reset your Secret Key or Master Password if lost or forgotten. Requests like these should be handled via email so we can ensure additional confirmation. It's a great point that you made and I apologize for the error on my end. Again, I will make sure requests like this are handled via email in the future, my sincere apologies :+1:

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@Frank maybe an idea to help to indetify is maybe the last 4 of the credit card used to pay for the subscription? Just trying to think of ways so an "oops" doesn't happy. At least a person hacking an email won't get passwords, but a person can lose everything stored. I have mine connected to my iCould email, and that has two-factor authentication on. Maybe even a "tips" on also protecting your subscription for customers or something.

• kevlar
    kevlar
    Community Member

@rob Thanks for the information. It's great to know that backups could remedy the situation if required.

@Frank I wasn't trying to say this was the incorrect method or forum for handling account resets, just trying to better understand the process and make sure that my family and I are as protected as we can bee. I'm a recent convert to 1Password from one of your competitors and am very impressed. Thanks!

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member

Or maybe you could have something in place like the revocation certificate that GPG uses. So to delete an account, you could additionally ask for this revocation certificate (or backup key or emergency key or whatever you like to call it). This key could be generated while creating an account and would also not be transmitted over the internet that way.
    It could also be part of the emergency kit

• Hi @kevlar - Thank you for the kind words and I completely understand :-) We're also users of 1Password :+1: Keep us posted if you come across any questions, we're always happy to help out. We're happy to have you a part of the 1Password family :-)

I appreciate the additional feedback and suggestions Prime & Manaburner :+1:

• theedebo
    theedebo
    Community Member

Hi guys, I believe I did the same thing. I was unaware that the master password needed to be manualy inputted in the emergency kits. I'll need a reset as well.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2017

@theedebo: While we don't have access to your data can't recover it for you, please try the tips in this guide as they may help you gain access again:

https://support.1password.com/master-password/#recover-your-master-password

Alternatively, another Organizer in your 1Password Family can help you recover your account, so you can create a new Account Key and Master Password:

https://support.1password.com/recovery/#begin-recovery

Let me know if that helps!

This discussion has been closed.