To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Does the account lock if there are too many failed attempts at entry?

TDK1044
TDK1044
Community Member

Is there a temporary lock out created if the wrong master password is entered more than an allowed number of times? And is anyone at 1Password alerted to the fact that so many failed attempts have been made to access an account?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @TDK1044 - Great question! As of right now, you can't lock yourself out of the account after failed attempts. Keep in mind both keys are required to be able to login and access your account - Secret Key & your Master Password. We do alert you (via email) if someone is trying to access your account from another device that is not authorized. If this ever happens, please send us over the email and I will ask our security team to investigate. Again by design we have very little access to your account details so we are not alerted but as I mentioned, you will receive an email warning you if an attempt is made from a device that is not authorized. I hope this helped and let us know if you have any additional questions :+1:

• TDK1044
    TDK1044
    Community Member

Thanks, Frank.

• Anytime @TDK1044 - Great question and I'm happy you asked :wink:

• TDK1044
    TDK1044
    Community Member

It was motivated by the fact that there are several people where I work who routinely walk away from their computers without locking them, and they have checked the 'Remember Me' option on the login pages for some sites, so that only their passwords would be required for access. I think that IT has now set the computers to auto-lock after a few minutes of inactivity now though, thus protecting them from themselves. :)

• I can understand why you asked and I'm happy to hear your IT department changed things up a bit. The same issue happened with my previous employers and their desktops would auto-lock after 10 minutes of inactivity. People were always walking away to get a snack or take a break forgetting to lock the computer. Sometimes you do have to step in and protect people because strange stuff does happen.

This discussion has been closed.