Is this a known crashing bug in current Windows 1P client?

I freshly installed 1Password (under a family account) on my mother's Windows 10 PC yesterday and was in a bit of a rush so didn't have time to pursue all the details (it would be the latest non-beta client as I downloaded it then and there; Windows 10 not sure of build; Chrome extension; operating with a 1P account).

But is this crasher familiar to anyone? Symptoms are:

• client itself crashes when manually adding any item type (every time)
  • client doesn't display any items (all counts are zero)
  • login items can be added via the Chrome extension (they can be seen on the web client and an iPad signed into the same account)

I'll have a closer look at versions etc next time I'm over there and perhaps submit a bug report to Agilebits. But in the meantime has anyone seen this?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• craiged
    craiged
    Community Member

Was your mother previously using 1Password with a Dropbox vault (or some similar setup? I had a paid copy of 1Password v4 installed when I attempted installing v6, just wondering if that might have something to do with it.

• craiged
    craiged
    Community Member

I also attempted to connect to my old Dropbox vault from 1Password 6. Also connected fine, but isn't showing any passwords.

• crisbennett
    crisbennett
    Community Member

No, she hadn't used 1Password before, so this was both a new account (added to my Family account), and a fresh install. No dropbox either, so it was the simplest possible case, using Agilebits' vault storage.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@crisbennett: If it's crashing, be sure to click the red banner after restarting the app to send the crash report so the development team can address the issue.

However, it sounds like you're saying both that the problem is that the app isn't showing any data, but also that you're not able to add any. If the crash is happening when you try to create any items, it seems like it makes sense that there won't be any data there yet. That confused me a bit, so any clarification will be appreciated.

It sounds like you may not be able to get to this right now, and that's fine. When you're able to, just shoot us an email with the OS, 1Password, browser, and extension versions; the exact steps you're taking when you encounter the issue; and some diagnostic information from the computer:

1. Click on the start button to search for Event Viewer, open it.
    2. On the left sidebar, expand Applications and Services Logs, 1Password should show up below here
    3. Right click on 1Password to select Save all events as and save it as 'logs.txt', set Save as Type to Text (tab delimited) (*.txt)
    4. Email that file to us at support+windows@agilebits.com and in the email, also include the link to this thread along with your forum username.

Let us know the Support ID you receive here when you've sent the email so we can take a look. Thanks in advance!

• crisbennett
    crisbennett
    Community Member

be sure to click the red banner after restarting the app to send the crash report so the development team can address the issue.

Yep, I did send a few crash reports.

it sounds like you're saying both that the problem is that the app isn't showing any data, but also that you're not able to add any

I wasn't able to add data manually via the Windows app (attempting to do this caused the crash) but could do so by other means. The Chrome plugin, for example, captured and added new logins fine -- they could be seen in the 1Password web app, and in 1Password on an iOS device connected to the same account. But none of these data were visible in the Windows app.

I'll follow up with the requested info when I can get to my mother's place. Looks like local roads are going to be flooded for a few days as as a weakened Cyclone Debbie comes over ;(

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@crisbennett: Thank you for your reply! That is very strange (and interesting).

The thing is that 1Password browser extension in your Chrome does not operate independently from 1Password 6 app on your PC. It doesn't contain any account information by itself and constantly communicates with the main app, so it is very unusual that you were able to save Logins via the extension, but not from the app.

We will be looking forward for your reply! Stay safe down there, cyclone Debbie doesn't sound very friendly.

Cheers,
    Greg

• crisbennett
    crisbennett
    Community Member

@Greg yes, you're right that is odd. And thinking back I only tried manually adding notes (as the easiest & quickest test) in the app, which promptly crashed. But I didn't then check in the other clients whether the notes actually got added. I wouldn't expect the Windows app to display them as it's not displaying anything.

It's quite possible then that the app successfully adds data, but whatever is causing its inability to display items is also causing a crash when a new item is manually added.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@crisbennett: If you haven't seen the changes from Windows PC on other devices, the issue might be more complicated than it seems. Please send us the logs Brenty requested above as soon as it is possible. Thanks! :+1:

Take care,
    Greg

• marcallman
    marcallman
    Community Member

I am experiencing nearly the same if not identical problems on two PCs. I just emailed the log files described above.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@marcallman: Thanks! I see that we've received your email, so we can continue the conversation there. We'll take a look at the diagnostics and get back to you shortly! :)

ref: HDE-26252-752

• crisbennett
    crisbennett
    Community Member

@brenty The problem seems to have fixed itself. On a subsequent visit I logged into my mother's PC, and 1Password there now (a) shows all the items that are visible in other clients (web, iOS), and (b) can create new items manually with no crashes. So looks like there's nothing to follow up with for now.

Thanks.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@crisbennett: Great news! Thank you for keeping us posted. :chuffed:

However, if you ever bump into any troubles with 1Password, you know where to find us. We are always ready to help. Thanks! :+1:

Have a fantastic week!

Cheers,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.