changing my Master Password on 2 macs - 1PW6 on one 1PW4 on other

sabatin48
sabatin48
Community Member

2 Questions - 1PW on the 2 macs synced via dropbox
1) I know that I have to change the PW on each device - Will the fact that 2 different versions of 1PW cause me any problems?
2) Will the Browser extension automatically recognize the new PW? Do I have to do anything special?
Thanks

1Password Version: 6 & 4
Extension Version: Version 4.6.4.3 X2
OS Version: 10.11.6 & 10.9.5
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:change web extension password

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @sabatin48,

Good questions! :)

1) I know that I have to change the PW on each device - Will the fact that 2 different versions of 1PW cause me any problems?

Nope, that shouldn't cause any problems.

Also, you may or may not need to change your master password separately on each device. After you change it on one Mac, unlock it on your other Mac with the old master password, then allow Dropbox to fully sync. When it's done, lock 1Password and try unlocking it with the new master password. If for some reason it still only accepts the old one, then you can manually change it to the new one from Preferences > Security.

2) Will the Browser extension automatically recognize the new PW? Do I have to do anything special?

The browser extension reads the same database as the main 1Password app, so the master password you use for the main app will be the same for the extension.

Hopefully that answers your questions, but please let us know if you need anything else. We're always happy to help! :)

• sabatin48
    sabatin48
    Community Member

Thanks very much for your help and quick response.
    Your instructions were great and worked with no issues.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome, I'm glad that helped! It sounds like you're all set now, but we're here for you if you have more questions. :)

This discussion has been closed.