1Password 6.4.4 w/ iOS 10 crashes on entering Master Password

This discussion was created from comments split from: 1Password support for iOS 10 and macOS 10.12 (when officially released)?.

Comments

• acaponetto
    acaponetto
    Community Member

I can not open 1Password after updating my IPad Air2 to IOS10.
    The app goes to crash when I try to launch. Can you help me?

• Hi @acaponetto

Have you checked the App Store app's update section to make sure there is not an update available for 1Password? You should have v6.4.4 installed, as of writing.

Ben

• acaponetto
    acaponetto
    Community Member

Yes it is the 6.4.4. No pending update.

• acaponetto
    acaponetto
    Community Member

I can submit the master password but the app dose not open and close.

• @acaponetto

I've split this conversation off into its own thread so we can give it the attention it deserves, and also not derail the other thread.

Do you have a backup of your 1Password data?

1Password backups

If not do you have access to it on another device?

Ben

• acaponetto
    acaponetto
    Community Member

Yes I have backup on Dropbox and i can access by IPhone

• Excellent. In that case I would recommend uninstalling and reinstalling 1Password on your iPad. It wouldn't hurt to make a backup from your iPhone to iTunes using the instructions above before doing so, though. :)

Ben

• acaponetto
    acaponetto
    Community Member

Ok. After reinstalling app, data was restored and now it looks to work well.

• Excellent. Thanks for the update. If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

• HawkGX
    HawkGX
    Community Member

I'm having a similar problem on my new iPhone 7, which is running iOS10. I cannot see that I have a backup either on Dropbox or iCloud. I do have full, recent phone backups on both iCloud and in iTunes. Obviously, I'm hesitant to delete the app from my phone, without having confirmed that I have a true 1Password backup in place. Any suggestions on some things to safely try?

• I do have full, recent phone backups on both iCloud and in iTunes

Unfortunately we've found these systems to be not entirely reliable when it comes to 1Password data, which is why we have our own backup mechanism built into 1Password.

Do you have another iPhone available (i.e. your old one)? If so I might suggest restoring the backup onto that device, and see if your 1Password data comes with it. If it does, make a backup:

1Password backups

Then you can try uninstalling / reinstalling on the iPhone 7, once you have a confirmed backup.

Ben

• dmitryb
    dmitryb
    Community Member

I'm experiencing exactly the same problem and reinstalling helped me once, but now the issue is back again.
    phone: iPhone 6s
    iOS: 10.2
    1Password app: 6.5.1

I have also to add that the problem is not consistent, most of the time the app crashes right after master password is entered but sometimes it crashes already after login. Crash reports were sent.
    This is a very serious issue, a few times I could not use the application when I needed it the most!

• sberchtold
    sberchtold
    Community Member

Same with me. Reinstalled 1PW on the iPhone (10.2.0) doesn't help. Have the same problem on my iPad running iOS 10.2.1
    App crashes directly after entering password or finger print.

• Hi folks,

If you are experiencing crashes with 1Password for iOS, first please be sure you are using the latest version:

1Password 6 for iOS - iTunes App Store

If you are, and are still experiencing crashes, please send us the crash logs directly. Here are the steps you'll need to follow:

1. Plug your phone into your computer and sync it with iTunes.
    2. Switch to the Finder, click on the Go menu and choose "Go to Folder..."
    3. Paste the following into the window that pops up: ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/MobileDevice/
    4. Select all the files that begin with 1Password and drag them to Mail in the Dock to create a new mail message.
    5. Send the email to support+forum@agilebits.com

Alternatively, if you do not have a computer with iTunes available:

1. Open Settings app
    2. Go to Privacy, then Diagnostics & Usage
    3. Select Diagnostics & Usage Data
    4. Locate the log for 1Password. The logs will be named in the format: 1Password__
    5. Select the desired log. Then, using the text selection UI select the entire text of the log. Once the text is selected, tap Copy
    6. Paste the copied text to Mail and send it to support+forum@agilebits.com

With your email please include a link to this thread:
    https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/69443/
    as well as your forum handle.

When you send the message you will get an automated reply from BitBot containing a Support ID. Please post the Support ID here so we can 'connect the dots.'

Thanks!

Ben

• sberchtold
    sberchtold
    Community Member

This morning we had an update from Dropbox. After installing that 1PW opens "the door" again and doesn't crash. Will test that on the iPhone after installing 10.2.1 and give you feedback then.

• sberchtold
    sberchtold
    Community Member

OK. Problem on iPhone still exists. The only change is, that the 1PW app doesn't show the "send report" dialog. But it still crashes when starting to sync.

• sberchtold
    sberchtold
    Community Member

Good news. One more restart on the iPhone and disconnecting from iTunes: Everything OK here now. Seems to me it was a problem with dropbox-sync.

• Thanks for the update @sberchtold. Glad to hear you're up and running again after updating your software. If we can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

• ppbailey
    ppbailey
    Community Member

I went to use 1Password (v6.5.3) on my iPhone 5S (v10.2.0 probably) and it froze when trying to enter the last character of my master password. I could enter any of the previous 15 characters and hit enter and it would justifiably reject them as the wrong password. When I entered the 16th character, it would simply freeze the display.

I tried removing 1Password from memory and/or rebooting the the phone without any success. I did think about re-installing 1Password, and I was confident that would fix it, but I had entered a new password a day or two earlier and couldn't remember what, and I hadn't synced with another device (which was what I was trying to do when the problem was first noticed).

Rather than risking re-installing 1Password, I opted to update IOS to v10.2.1 (I was only one behind) and this rectified the problem.

Hope this helps someone

• Thanks, @ppbailey. I'm not so sure uninstalling/reinstalling 1Password would have resolved the issue. Glad to hear upgrading to iOS 10.2.1 did.

Ben

• used_abused
    used_abused
    Community Member

Good afternoon. I have been using 1Password for many years w/o any issues on many iPhones and many iOS. Recently using 1Pass iOS ver 6.5.2 on my iPhone 7 w/iOS 10.1.1 and working fine. However, all of the sudden today (3.29.17) upon entering master PW's 12th or 13th character 1Pass freezes and eventually crashes. Therefore, per suggestions above i deleted 1Pass, restarted, installed 1pass iOS ver 6.5.4 on same iPhone 7 iOS 10.1.1 (do non want to update to latest iOS version) and restored vault and/or data. Unfortunately, it did not solve the problem. Once 1Pass locked and I attempted to re-open/re-enter master PW same exact problem. There should be access to download previous 1Pass iOS versions just like there are for 1Pass desktop versions. Especially for those still using iphone 4s or similar which is cannot be restored. If the .ipa was available for download and the iPhone was not updated via iTunes but rather updated via the App Store on the iPhone itself it is a piece of cake to make iTunes install previous versions or any iOS application. Thanks your time and assistance.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited March 2017

Hi @used_abused.

I haven't heard any reports that uninstalling/reinstalling will help. Updating iOS is the only solution. We are not in a position to distribute 1Password for iOS ourselves, and the App Store does not generally allow older versions to be installed. I'm also not convinced that even if an older version of 1Password could be installed that doing so would resolve the issue. Again the only thing we've had reported to work at this point is updating iOS.

Sorry for the trouble.

Ben

• hhamm
    hhamm
    Community Member

A small hint from an old Apple developer (me): This is a known issue on iOS (https://openradar.appspot.com/28590124) but can be easily fixed with a new client-update. Just disable the auto-font-scale on secure fields (such as password fields). The issue is, that apple tries to resize these "dots" until they fit into the field. However, these dots cannot be sized and therefore the whole thing ends up in an endless loop.
    in your UITextField class:

override var isSecureTextEntry:Bool
    {
    set (value)
    {
    if value
    {
    super.adjustsFontSizeToFitWidth = false
    }
    super.isSecureTextEntry = value
    }
    get
    {
    return super.isSecureTextEntry
    }
    }

• cheers
  • @hhamm,

Thanks for the tip, we've got an update that we're working on that includes this exact fix.

Rudy

This discussion has been closed.