How do I create login for specific Android apps?

Options
Stann
Stann
Community Member

Some apps I have require a userID and password to use them. Can I create a login for a specific Android app?

1Password Version: 6.3.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android 6.0.1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• peri
    Options

Hi @Stann. 1Password associates app package URLs with URLs you have saved with 1Password Login items by reversing the package name. You can find a little more info, as well as how to create Logins for specific apps in cases where this doesn't work in my comment in this thread.

Please have a look and let me know if that helps!

• Stann
    Stann
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your response peri. I'm pretty green when it comes to this technical stuff. Not sure what you talk about in your response. When I use a specific Android app it prompts me for an ID and PW. This is not through a browser using a URL. I'm trying to see if there is a way that when I click on a login icon in 1Password, the app will open and populate the fields. Any way to do that?

• peri
    Options

Hey @Stann. Sorry, I should have been more clear. :)

First things first, you'll need to have the 1Password keyboard and accessibility service enabled, and you'll need to switch to the keyboard before you're able to fill into apps. You can find instructions here:
    https://support.1password.com/android-keyboard

Then, when you fill into an app, 1Password's accessibility service looks for login fields on the page. If we detect them, the 1Password button on the keyboard will be blue and you'll just have to tap it. If we don't detect login fields on the page, the 1Password button will remain grey and you'll need to tap and hold the button for a second. Then 1Password will open up to any associated Logins, based on the package name for the app.

Say, for example, you have your Twitter Login saved in 1Password, with a username, password, and the website: https://www.twitter.com. When you're using the Twitter app, the package name is com.twitter.android. So 1Password reverses the package name we detect, and then we try to match it to one of your Logins. So com.twitter.android turns into android.twitter.com when reversed, so 1Password searches your database for matches for twitter.com. In this case, we'll show you your Twitter Login without your having to search.

However, this is imperfect since app developers don't always name apps like that. For instance, you may have a Bank of America login item with the URL, https://www.bankofamerica.com. 1Password would expect the package name to be com.bankofamerica.android, but the package name for the app is actually com.infonow.bofa. So 1Password is looking for a URL in your database matching infonow.com rather than bankofamerica.com. In cases like these, you can create a new Login for the item with the URL https://bofa.infonow.com.

I hope this clarifies things a bit! Let me know if you have more questions. :)

• Stann
    Stann
    Community Member
    Options

Appreciate your time and the additional info. Will give it a try.

• peri
    Options

Of course, @Stann! I'm always happy to help. :) Please do give it a try and let me know if you come up with any more questions!

• jamesxa
    jamesxa
    Community Member
    Options

The only issue with this is that Android can only see the first listed URL, which means i have to have 2 logins for the same Website if I want 1Password desktop to be able to auto open the URL and fill my information in the browser. At which point I have to label one of them so my desktop doesn't try to open the android app URL. Then if I update my password i have to update 2 records, very disappointing.
    It's very frustrating that the android app can't add or even just view additional URLs on a login record (this is only compounded by the fact you can't add additional sections for storing things like security questions and answers somewhere besides the notes section)

• peri
    Options

Hi @jamesxa. I'll start with the good news, which is that we're reworking filling and we plan on having a much smoother experience for you soon. :)

That said, in the meantime you could work around the issue by adding the second (app package) URL from your desktop device to the same Login item. You're right that 1Password on Android only allows for a single URL (and I'll add your vote for multiple URL support), but it syncs the first URL. So if you add the app URL from your Mac or PC, and reorder it so that it's the first one listed in the website field, it will sync over to Android without your needing two separate Logins.

• jamesxa
    jamesxa
    Community Member
    Options

@peri, thanks. The only issue with setting the android app package as the first URL is that then on desktop if you choose "open and fill" from 1Password Mini, it opens the android app package URL which is a dead end in a web browser. This could be very frustrating for anyone who I share the 1Password login with that isn't so tech savvy.

Of course, all of this because i'm lazy and don't want to search for the URL via the 1Password keyboard. As you mentioned Android O will have a new filling method which i'm excited about, but single URL syncing will be even more frustrating when this arrives. If 1Password can't auto detect the app (because only 1 URL is synced), then i'll have to revert to the keyboard, and then search for it.

However you look at it, single URL syncing is bad news. Is there a reason why 1Password doesn't sync everything? could that reason be averted via an app setting (sync everything, i don't care how much data it uses! [off/on])

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jamesxa: Indeed, not that you should have to care about this, but 1Password (and its data) didn't originally support multiple URLs at all. So this is a bit of legacy baggage. But you're right, all of this is a confusing experience for most users, and something we need to improve. We're focused on filling right now, and while that will help in many ways, the rest will have to wait. But this is definitely an area we want to improve as well. You shouldn't have to do this, and I'm sorry it's going to take more time to come up with a better solution. Thanks for bringing this up!

This discussion has been closed.