Does deleting a user in a Family account allow a different user to sign up?

calilonghorn
calilonghorn
Community Member

A family account supports up to 5 users. Let's say that I have 5 family members using 1password. If I delete one of the users can I send the invite to a different (6th) family member (I have more than 5 people in my family). Basically does 1password check if its just 5 currently active users max regardless of the past history?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @calilonghorn - Great question! 5 active users. So if you delete a family member from the account, you can invite someone new to take their place. Keep in mind you also have 5 Guest Accounts to take advantage of using.

We include 5 with your Families account. Guests have all the same benefits of a regular family member - all the apps, web access and auto-sync. The main difference is Guests only have access to one Shared vault at a time. It's great for kids and I use it for my parents. You can read a little more about Guest Accounts here if interested - https://support.1password.com/guests/

Let me know if you have any further questions and enjoy the rest of your day :+1:

• calilonghorn
    calilonghorn
    Community Member

Thanks for the quick response! That answered my question.

• Fantastic and you're welcome. Keep us posted if you have any additional questions, we're always happy to assist.

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member

@Frank--

I'm a long-time 1P user who is just starting to learn my way about 1P/Families. I found that support page for guest accounts to be very helpful. I think it would be a great idea to note on that page the guest account caps for 1P/Teams and 1P/Families.

• Thanks for the feedback, @benfdc. The reason we have not done that is that it can vary by plan (not only 1Password Teams vs 1Password Families but also Early Adopter Special vs Family Day Special, for example). It is really best to review the details of your plan in order to determine what is included.

Thanks.

Ben

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member

Speaking from one Ben to another, you make a good point. IMO, the fact that the answer is not a simple number actually makes it even more important to say something about caps on that support page.

I would suggesting saying that the number of guests is limited and explaining how a user can look up how many free guests are permitted in the user's account and how many have already been assigned.

—one Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2017

@benfdc: Hey, that's a great point. Thanks for the suggestion! :)

ref: B5-1609

• Yep. Very good point. :)

Ben

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member

Just like back in the old days where one of the reps conferred upon me the title of "perspective-giving member" or something to that effect. :)

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

It is really best to review the details of your plan in order to determine what is included.

Where can you see that?

When I log in to my family (sub)domain on 1password.com the Billing page informs me that I have the Launch Special:

While I know that includes 7 members and 7 guests I cannot see that here.

The button "View Details" leads to https://1password.com/sign-up/ which shows the current benefits: 5 family members.

• Good catch, @XIII. I missed the fact that this does not actually included the number of members/guests included with the plan. I'll check with the team to see if we can include more detail there in that regard.

Ben

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    edited March 2017

My billing page, which is for the Family Day Special rather than the Launch Special, lists "10 Family Members Included" between Email Support and 2 GB storage per person.

What shows up neither on @XIII's billing page nor on mine is the number of free guests included with the account. I have assumed that my account includes five free guests because I haven't seen anything indicating that the Family Day Special doubled EVERYTHING—the description of the promotion only mentioned doubling persons and storage. But assuming is not the same thing as knowing.

More importantly, and from one Ben to another™, I'm not sure that the billing page is the natural place to look for this. My 2¢: the Dashboard display of Family Members and Guests should show the number used and the account maximum. E.g., instead of having the Dashboard show 4 Family Members, show 4/5, 4/7, or 4/10 depending on whether it is a standard account, Launch Special account, or Family Day account. Ditto Guests, and ditto Storage once you get around to adding that info to the Dashboard.

one Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2017

@XIII, @benfdc: You're absolutely right. I'm sorry for being so laconic in my last post. I've filed an issue for adding this information to the account details, and also for leaving "bread crumbs" in the documentation so that the user can find this information when they need it.

I should also clarify that "only" the members and storage were increased with the promotional plans. So, for example, I've got the early adopter family special myself, which includes 5 guests, in addition to the 7 members and 2GB of storage. A simpler way of putting this is that all plans have a hard limit on the included guests (though more can be added through the subscription), so the promotions only increased the number of members and storage space. All 1Password Families plans (to date) have 5 guests. Sorry that it hasn't been clearer.

Edit: Okay, turns out I was wrong about that. The original family launch special did include 7 guests/7 members for some reason (possibly not intentionally), but the more recent family day promotion was 5 guests/10 members.

@benfdc: Also, good point about the dashboard. I'm not sure we want to add more information there, but if it can be done tastefully that might be a good place for it. "Perspective-giving member" indeed. :)

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    edited April 2017

Oh, there were times that I'm sure "grief-giving member" might have felt more appropriate to some of you. :-)

Anyway, @brenty, thanks for the clarifications and info, and—as always—thanks for listening.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Oh, there were times that I'm sure "grief-giving member" might have felt more appropriate to some of you. :-)

@benfdc: I'm sure that goes both ways. In the end we all want 1Password to be the best it can be, even if we disagree on the details. ;)

Anyway, @brenty, thanks for the clarifications and info, and—as always—thanks for listening.

Likewise, good to hear from you. And I'm interested to hear more of your feedback on 1Password.com. :)

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member

If you're not hearing feedback or new questions from me it's because I've been too busy to spend much time with the product. Feedback is what I do, especially when it makes a difference. There are very few things that are more encouraging to a user than to see a product evolve as a result of feedback, and that is one of your hallmarks. Another hallmark of Agilebits that is exemplary and extremely rare is the respect shown to customers who make suggestions with which you disagree. You take the time to educate us on what you see as the downsides of the proposal, or why you don't think it would improve the product.

I know from my own experience the insights that one can gain by the process of drafting responses like those. It almost forces you to rethink your explanation as you write, and when one does that one often sees new angles. It's a virtuous circle.

—one Ben

• john_m
    john_m
    1Password Alumni

Hi @benfdc! Thank you so much for your wonderful complements!

That's one of the things I've really come to appreciate working here, there really is a strong sense of community. The team here really do value having open dialog with our customers - it tends to enrich us all to see each others viewpoints. We're always happy to receive and discuss feedback, positive, negative and neutral, so if you ever have any more to share with us, please do - we'll be thankful to receive it :chuffed:

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member

It's been a while and I still see no solution to the "how do I find the guest account cap for my account" problem. Is this on anyone's radar?

Indeed, I think that my billing page is even less informative now than it was last spring. It says that I have the "Family Day Plan (Annual) for 5 users," and then at the bottom left of the screen there is a section called Achievements that says "Family Day Special
    Twice the storage and family members"

There's room for improvement.

—Ben

• Hi @benfdc

The idea is still out there, it just hasn’t made its way to the top of the priorities list yet. I agree that a higher level of detail about what the plan includes and what has been used on the billing page would alleviate some confusion, so hopefully it is something we can make happen. :)

Ben

• Temptin
    Temptin
    Community Member

@benfdc I agree, this confused me a lot.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Temptin: Sorry for the confusion there! We've done a lot to streamline the 1Password.com web app, and now we're looking at ways we can present more information without making things too cluttered. Thanks for you feedback on this! :)

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member

Thanks for the hat tip, @Temptin, and for keeping this issue on the radar screen.

• :+1: :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.