Signing into Google Gmail

Options
pizellie
pizellie
Community Member
edited April 2017 in 1Password in the Browser

I am having trouble using the mini menu icon to sign in to my Google Gmail. I use the URL: www.google.com/gmail. What I get is error 404 - that's an error.

The requested URL /gmail?onepasswdfill=rpqetas5fjbsjedqfawsoilyae&onepasswdvault=zauvjusucpxg7k4wp5ukcvzjuq was not found on this server. That’s all we know.

Has anyone had this problem and perhaps was able to solve it >?

1Password Version: 6.0
_Extension Version:6.6.4
_IOS Version: 10.12.3
_Sync Type:
Not Provided

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @pizellie,

I've moved your message to our Saving and Filling in Browsers forum. I hope you don't mind!

I'm sorry you're having trouble using 1Password to fill your Gmail username and password. Can you please let us know a few more details:

• What web browser are you using, and what version?
    • What version of the 1Password extension is installed in your browser?
    • Do you also have trouble with other Login items, or is this specific to the Login for your Gmail account?
    • What are the exact steps you take to have 1Password fill the Gmail sign-in form?
    • Do you choose your Login item for Gmail from the 1Password mini icon in your Mac's menu bar, or from the 1Password extension icon in your browser's toolbar?

Thanks in advance! :)

• pizellie
    pizellie
    Community Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

Web Browser: Safari; 1Password Version 6.0; I do have trouble with every login entry (not specific to Google Gmail; the extra steps I have to take is to use the "copy" feature versus the "fill" feature; Yes ... I choose the login from the mini icon in my Mac's menu. Let me know if you need additional information. Solving the gmail issue will certainly help with my other logins.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @pizellie,

If you see text like onepasswdfill=rpqetas5fjbsjedqfawsoilyae&onepasswdvault=zauvjusucpxg7k4wp5ukcvzjuq that strongly suggests the extension isn't installed as 1Password can only work properly in a browser where our extension is running. It might be worth checking out our Saving, filling, and changing your passwords essentials page on how to use the extension if you haven't seen it already. It contains pages on how to install the extension and use it. If that doesn't help please do say.

• pizellie
    pizellie
    Community Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

Littlebobbytables ... Thank you for taking the time to help with my login setup issues. However, I didn't find anything that solved that issue. I read a lot in these forum about extensions, but can related to that term. The link you provided, didn't seem to help me out. Perhaps someone can give me an example of an "extension"

For further clarification, I tried to insure that "Detect new usernames and password ..." I didn't see that in my preferences:

Also ... when I go to the password generator, I do not get the optional to "Fill" ... all I see is "Copy" (which I did use without success)

Also ... I tried to set up the username and password for a login entry - when I click on the settings icon, I don't see "'save new login"
    Here is what I do to try to set up a login entry

• open the browser I want to set up
    • enter the username
    • click on Password Generator
    • click on copy and paste it in the password filed

and ... 1Password does not detect or give me an option to save

I am sure that I am missing something in the process of setting up a login for entry with a 1Password generated password.

• pizellie
    pizellie
    Community Member
    Options

littlebobbytables ... Thank you for taking the time to help with my "creating a login with a 1Password generated password. I appreciate the help, however nothing that i've tried so far has worked. I am sure that I am over-looking something.

With regard to the term "extension" - I looked into your suggest link, but found nothing that helps me relate to that term. What is meant by "extension" and could I get an example of "extension" ?

For reference, here is some additional information:

• When I go to 1Password Preferences, I have clicked on "Always keep 1 password mini running" - however, there is no option for "detect new username & password .... etc."
    • When I go to Password Generator in the mini menu, I don't have an option to "fill" - All I see is "copy" which I have used without success.
    • When I attempt to fill manually and I go to the settings icon, there is no option to "save new login"

Here is what I do:

• bring up the entry browser (like google gmail)
    • enter the username
    • click on the mimi menu and select Password Generator
    • click on "copy" the generated password
    • paste that generated password into the entry browser password field

Now ... 1Password does not detect that entry and give me the option to save and complete the process.

What am I missing ? ?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @pizellie,

All the major browsers support extensions, small bundles designed to augment the functionality of the browser. We have support for Safari, Firefox, Chrome and several Chromium based browsers such as Opera and Vivaldi (my personal favourite). Without the extension installed in your browser though 1Password can't talk to the browser - the extension is vital for things like saving and filling to work.

This is why the first section of the "Saving, filling, and changing your passwords" (https://support.1password.com/explore/extension/) essentials page is for this page, Use the browser extension to save and fill passwords on your Mac or Windows PC. That page will help you install the extension into your browser and show you how to use it.

If you're still feeling confused please say but everything you've described makes me convinced what is missing is our extension to act as the bridge between 1Password and the browser and once you have it installed things will be better.

The extension is specific to each browser so if you like to use both Safari and Firefox you will have to repeat the steps in each one.

• pizellie
    pizellie
    Community Member
    Options

littlebobbtables ... thanks again ... I think I know a little more about extensions - but not enough to solve my issue - sorry. I do have the 1password mini on my iMac - but perhaps it is not installed in my safari browser. That's what I am missing (I think). In the video, it tells me to go to 1pw.ca/browser, but "nothing" comes up. Any suggestions ?

• pizellie
    pizellie
    Community Member
    Options

littlebobbytables ... Ah ... I got the extension installed. Getting there. I set up a login just like the video suggested - using my password. It takes me to that sign in page, but not to the actual site. ?? If I can get this feature working, it would be great

Also ... I've been trying to use the 1password generated passwords, but everytime I go to sign in, it indicates that the password is wrong ?? If I can get this feature working, it would even be better.

Thanks for your patience.

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @pizellie,

I set up a login just like the video suggested - using my password. It takes me to that sign in page, but not to the actual site. ?? If I can get this feature working, it would be great

This is expected, when you sign into a website and 1Password offers to save a Login item for you, the website associated with the Login item will be the sign in page. This is ideal because it allows 1Password to take you directly to a site, fill in your username and password, and sign you in. This is the Go & Fill feature that you probably seen in the video.

A more detailed explanation of the flow would be:

1. Click on the browser extension button.
    2. Find your Login item under the "Logins" menu and click it.

1Password will open up a new browser tab, automatically take you to the sign in page for the website and fill in your username & password. Finally it should also Autosubmit the login web page which should sign you in.

So by having the sign in web page associated with the Login item, you can quickly navigate to and sign in quickly - all in one click. :sunglasses: If you have any further questions about this please do let me know.

I've been trying to use the 1password generated passwords, but everytime I go to sign in, it indicates that the password is wrong ?? If I can get this feature working, it would even be better.

If you haven't changed your password using the website itself, then the password would still be set to the original password. 1Password unfortunately cannot automatically change the password for your websites, this is something you'll need to do yourself. We do have a great guide for how to change passwords on websites.

As described in the guide, we highly recommend using the Strong Password Generator in 1Password to create your new strong passwords. Then one you have changed then on the website, 1Password should prompt you to update the Login item you have for your website.

Let me know how that goes and if you've any questions about anything above don't hesitate to send a reply.

Best regards,
    Matthew

• pizellie
    pizellie
    Community Member
    Options

Matthew ... thank you so much for the information ... and ... I was successful - I really appreciate the forum information. Awesome.

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Excellent - it's wonderful to hear that @pizellie! Thanks for trying 1Password out, I hope you enjoy it.

If you ever need anything else, please don't hesitate to write again. We're always here to help.

Best regards,
    Matthew

This discussion has been closed.