Touch ID option in Preferences is grayed out

Options
jeroen020
jeroen020
Community Member

I'm in the process of setting up my new 15" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar / Touch ID. I've configured Touch ID and can use it to unlock my computer. I've downloaded 1Password from the App Store (v6.5.2) and sync 1Password with Dropbox. In 1Password Preferences -> Security, the Touch ID part ('Allow Touch ID to unlock 1Password') is greyed out.

How can I enable Touch ID support in 1Password?

Best,

Jeroen

1Password Version: 6.5.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS Sierra
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@jeroen020 I'm sorry to respond with a rather basic question (which I fear may not be helpful to you) but I do so because I have Touch ID working perfectly with 1Password on my new MacBook Pro.

Have you actually finished the 1Password setup and unlocked 1Password for the first time (and only then checked the 1Password > Security settings)?

I'm sorry if that's not helpful!

Stephen

• jeroen020
    jeroen020
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Stephen, thanks for your comment! I tried quitting 1Password, started it again, and voila, the option was no longer greyed out - and I can now unlock 1Password with my finger! Case closed.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Excellent! Thanks for the update. I'm glad restarting helped. It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of assistance. Cheers! :)

• Anaco_angler
    Anaco_angler
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, how in the world do I set up my MacBook Pro with Touch Bar to use 1Password? Sorry for the dumb question but this is frustrating.

• Anaco_angler
    Anaco_angler
    Community Member
    Options

This is turning into a major frustration. When I log into 1Password and go to preferences, I don't see any check box anywhere referring to enabling for unlock using the Touch Bar. Nothing has changed from my old Mac: I still have to manually enter my master password. Obviously this is working for others but all my googling efforts haven't turned up the clue to unlock this feature. Would someone please reply? Thank you.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Anaco_angler: It sounds like macOS isn't offering Touch ID to 1Password on your Mac for some reason. Did you try Stephen_C 's suggestion above, or restarting your Mac? Others have found that it helps to delete the fingerprints from Touch ID in System Preferences first, and then re-add them to enable it system-wide. I hope this helps. Let me know how it turns out! :)

• Anaco_angler
    Anaco_angler
    Community Member
    Options

Brenty, thank you for the response. I restarted my Mac and at first 1Password quit unexpectedly with a problem but bringing it back allowed me to use my fingerprint for my master password. It looks like I'm in business. Thank you again.

• jacobmorse
    jacobmorse
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having a similar issue, but Touch ID is not even showing up as an option. I was running version 6 and am now running 6.6 BETA and still nothing. Here is what I see when I open up my preferences: http://share.jacobmorse.com/TYVY

Any ideas?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Anaco_angler: Excellent! Thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear that all is well now.

@jacobmorse: It sounds like macOS simply isn't offering Touch ID to 1Password for some reason. Can you try my suggestion above and let me know if that helps?

• rjohnson
    rjohnson
    Community Member
    Options

I just got a new Mac Pro with toucher and I see the security options all dimmed as well. I've rebooted 3 times now and that has not changed...

This discussion has been closed.