Problem using 1Password in Tor

Options
NiBr
NiBr
Community Member

I'm using Tor Browser 6.0.2. The extension has installed correctly (latest beta), but clicking the button opens the "Looking for 1Password helper" page. I disabled browser verification. I'm not using a proxy or third party firewall.

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @NiBr,

1Password uses WebSocket for communication between the browser plugin and the main application. At the moment, TOR blocks this communication as part of its own internal security mechanisms. Right now there is no reasonable workaround for this. At some stage in the future we might find a better communication channel between our extensions and 1Password than WebSocket, but we don't have any ETA on that. I am sorry for any inconvenience and hope for your understanding.

• JMM
    JMM
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Greg,

I just installed TOR into all my computers and I found out that 1P extension can be installed (same as Firefox) but the automatic login does not work. Is it here where the WebSocket communication resides and it is being blocked by Tor?

Did you or any user found a workaround for this?

Thank you
    JM

• pervel
    pervel
    Community Member
    Options

It's actually recommended that you don't install any extensions in the TOR browser if you want to stay anonymous.

From https://www.torproject.org/download/download.html.en#warning

Don't enable or install browser plugins

Tor Browser will block browser plugins such as Flash, RealPlayer, Quicktime, and others: they can be manipulated into revealing your IP address. Similarly, we do not recommend installing additional addons or plugins into Tor Browser, as these may bypass Tor or otherwise harm your anonymity and privacy.

Also, don't forget you can still use 1Password by manually copying login details into websites. A bit cumbersome but a small price to pay if you wanna stay anonymous, I think.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Excellent point! It's easily overlooked, but even in traditional browsers, we often grant extensions more privileges than we realize. And while most don't do anything malicious, it's important to be aware, especially if privacy is a concern. Cheers! :)

• JMM
    JMM
    Community Member
    Options

Terrific, thank you all for these tips. All extensions disabled now.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Any time! Stay safe out there! :sunglasses:

• Lawdawg
    Lawdawg
    Community Member
    Options

Would it be here that we would be notified when 1P is able to support the TorBrowser?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Lawdawg: We don't have any plans to explicitly support it, and as mentioned above the way TOR works means just isn't technically feasible with the current technology either. I'm sorry I don't have better news for you.

This discussion has been closed.