Should I start using 1Password 6?

Options

Hello, I have been using 1Password 4 for quite a while and am very happy with it. I recently became aware that 1Password 6 is around. I installed it but after trying it for a couple of hours I have removed it. I wonder if someone could please answer these questions. Sorry if they have already been asked.

1. There seems to be no secure desktop unlock. Does this not leave me vulnerable to keyloggers on Windows?
  2. There are no local vaults, correct? So It can't be used without an internet connection?
  3. It doesn't seem to coexist with 1Password 4 overly nicely. I had to kill a 1Password 4 process to get the browser plugin to talk to version 6 instead of version 4. Is there a way to make them play together a bit better?
  4. I keep reading about how it's been rewritten from the ground up. Would you recommend upgrading from 4 now, or to wait? 6 does seem to be a bit lacking still compared to 4.

Thank you

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey @wombat,

Thanks for writing in with your questions. I'll gladly answer all of your questions.
    First off: Yes! You should be using 1Password 6 and a 1Password account. It's simply the best way to use 1Password on an device and you will never have to take care of syncing again, or of licences for that matter.

So, let's dive in…

There seems to be no secure desktop unlock. Does this not leave me vulnerable to keyloggers on Windows?

Yes, 1Password 6 does not have the "Unlock on Secure Desktop" feature at the moment. We are planning on adding it in the future. Please understand, though, that even the Secure Desktop feature is not a perfect protection mechanism. If your machine is compromised, it is essentially not your machine anymore and you can't trust it anymore.

There are no local vaults, correct? So It can't be used without an internet connection?

That's a bit of a misunderstanding. 1Password 6 has offline support. You can always access your data even if you have no internet connection. 1Password 6 simply doesn't support local, standalone vaults (.agilekeychain, .opvault). 1Password 6 can read these types of vault folder for the purpose of importing them into a 1Password account but it doesn't support adding new items to them or changing existing items.

It doesn't seem to coexist with 1Password 4 overly nicely. I had to kill a 1Password 4 process to get the browser plugin to talk to version 6 instead of version 4. Is there a way to make them play together a bit better?

That's because both version 4 and 6 use the same way to establish communication between the app and the 1Password browser extension. 1Password 4 and 6 can't both have access to the browser extension at the same time. If you wish to do so, you will have to kill either process each time and reconnect with the other.

I keep reading about how it's been rewritten from the ground up. Would you recommend upgrading from 4 now, or to wait? 6 does seem to be a bit lacking still compared to 4.

No and yes and yes.

No if you still rely on certain features in 1Password 4 like Secure Desktop, Auto-Type for filling login credentials in third party apps, and write access to local vaults.
    Yes, if you are switching to a 1Password account—as we'd recommend—and yes, if you wish to use a really slick, pretty, and incredibly fast 1Password for Windows.

I hope this helps. Let us know if you have any other questions.

Alex

This discussion has been closed.