Login requires keystrokes

Options

My 401K provider doesn't allow pasted passwords. In fact if I paste a password it locks my account. I enjoy the extra security of the generated passwords, but typing in a 16 digit password that is generated by the software is a pain. Any way around this?

1Password Version: 6.6.4
Extension Version: 4.6.3.90
OS Version: OS X 10.12.4
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

It is a pain, @jamesdiggs, to be sure. I have a few like this. Sometimes, you can right-click and select Paste, other times, you simply have to type. I don't know of other workarounds for these sites I've encountered.

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

@jamesdiggs, this is a pain! I've actually sent this link to a few banks out there:
    An open letter to banks

I've posted it on twitter and emailed it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jamesdiggs: Wow. Locking you out because you pasted something into the password field seems needlessly punitive. I'd be tempted to paste some creative words and phrases there in that case. Probably best to follow Prime's suggestion to share your concerns as a customer. Don't be like me! :lol:

However, even if you're not able to copy and paste, filling with the 1Password browser extension works without pasting anything, so if the site isn't taking measures to prevent that as well, that may work better for you. Without knowing the URL it's hard to speak in more than general terms, but another option is to use 1Password to generate a word-based random password, which is strong and also much easier to type. I hope this helps. Be sure to let us know if you have any questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.