Change Master Password

I changed my Master Password online and expected it to change on ALL my devices
It successfully changed on the online app - but did not change immediately on the desktop windows app - I logged in with the old password but 1PW asked me to login again - which I did with the new password and it worked - which is good -
however it did not change on my iPhone app.
I had to revoke my iPhone from the online app and re log in to the iPhone for it to work.
This is for anyone else having the same issue.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• cobra_1pw
    cobra_1pw
    Community Member
    edited January 2017

An update - my 1Password app on windows desktop has now reverted back to the old password both on the chrome extension as well as on the desktop application - I can log in using the OLD password but it will not accept the NEW password. There is definitely an issue with syncing a change in Master Passwords between devices.
    Desktop now shows 189 total items and online app shows 126 total items.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

What SHOULD happen (it's part of the way syncing works) is that you need to log in once with the old password (because the new one is not yet known). After that you can continue using the old password (but why would you want to) or you can use the new one. As soon as the new password is used, it becomes the only password, the old one no longer works.

• Roman
    Roman
    1Password Alumni

@cobra_1pw - I'm sorry for the confusion. Would you mind creating some Diagnostics Reports, one from each of your devices:

Attach the Diagnostics Report(s) to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report(s) in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report(s) in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report(s) and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• cobra_1pw
    cobra_1pw
    Community Member

REF: SUPPORT ID # MMZ-14677-831

Summary of issues:

1. Master password changed on online hosted app.
    2. Signing into the Desktop 1 app (Windows 10) allowed me to access using the old password but shortly thereafter showed a message in red at the bottom left that my credentials had changed and that I was required to log in again - however allowed me to use the app as normal. I clicked on the red banner and logged in with the new password - which was okay. But on subsequent log in attempts it only allows me to log in using the OLD password.
    3. Signing into the Desktop 2 app (Windows 7) has the same issue as Desktop 1
    4. Signing into the iPhone app with the old password still worked with the local data but stated there was a problem with log in credentials - however allowed me to use the app as normal. I had to remove all app data and relaunch the app for the new password to work. Now the iPhone works fine.

Sent all 3 Diagnostic Reports to support - awaiting feedback.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@cobra_1pw: I'm really sorry for the confusion here. It's something we're working to address in the new 1Password 6 Windows desktop app (which it sounds like you're using on both your Windows 7 and 10 PCs). Currently it uses its own internal Master Password for the local database and does not "sync" changes in either direction*. It's using the Master Password of the first vault/account you setup the app with unless you change it manually in 1Password Settings (the "gear" icon) > Options > Security. You can do this to make it match your account. Again, I apologize for the trouble that's caused you. I hope this helps!

*You were prompted to sign in again after changing it in your account because the app still needs the correct password to authenticate with the server. This just doesn't directly affect the Master Password which is set locally on your PC.

ref: MMZ-14677-831

• cobra_1pw
    cobra_1pw
    Community Member

@brenty Thank you for your feedback. Good to know and not a problem - I will go ahead and change the passwords manually on each of the Windows apps. Also would like to commend you on a great job on the software - since I started using it your team have always got back to me on every issue and kept your commitments on futures and features.

• Roman
    Roman
    1Password Alumni

Hi @cobra_1pw - Thanks for your kind words, we're happy to help you in any way we can. Let us know if you need anything else. We're here for you! :)

• giovan28
    giovan28
    Community Member

Hi,I'm looking into changing my master password (want more entropy) but I'm afraid, as several people have had trouble with syncing the
    new password across platforms. Can you assure me that this won't happen to me ?. Thank you

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@giovan28: The most important thing to keep in mind is that if you backup your data, you can always restore if you run into any issues. You should really just do that no matter what, not just with 1Password.

That said, you really only need to keep the following in mind to successfully change your Master Password across all of your devices:

1. Be sure to choose a long, strong, unique Master Password, using standard ASCII characters to avoid issues across different OSes.
    2. In most cases, you'll just need to unlock using the "old" Master Password on each device so it can sync your data; then you can unlock with the new one after that.
    3. Currently with the new 1Password 6 Windows desktop app, this is not the case, but you can change it there manually in Settings > Options > Advanced.

And of course if you need any help, we're here for you. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.