Frequently asked to unlock "Local Items" keychain before Touch ID authentication.

nozaq
nozaq
Community Member

Hello,

I'm using 1Password on my macbook pro(Late 2016, w/ Touchbar & Touch ID) and enabled Touch ID to unlock my op vault.
The problem is that when I click 1Password icon on system menu bar or on browser's menu bar, the dialog asking to unlock "Local Items" keychain is displayed before Touch ID dialog is prompted. This doesn't happen every time, but happens 5-10 times a day.

Keychain dialog:
Keychain dialog

Touch ID dialog:

I found the similar post here, but it keeps happening even if the computer doesn't get restarted in my case.

Is this an expected behavior when using w/ TouchID?

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@nozaq: Frankly you should only have to authenticate with Keychain once. It sounds like your Keychain may be damaged, or you're running into a sync issue. Are you using iCloud Keychain by any chance? If seen similar issues with that. You may need to contact Apple for help with this, but I'd be interested to find out what's going on here too.

• nozaq
    nozaq
    Community Member

@brenty Thanks for your reply. I have once enabled iCloud Keychain during setting my macbook then disabled now. After googling about keychain issues, I'm thinking that the issue might not be particularly related to 1Password. If everything works as expected, does 1Password store Touch ID-related credential into "Login Items" .keychain(iCloud keychain) or "login" keychain?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@nozaq: Good question! 1Password for Mac stores its Touch ID secret in the iCloud Keychain. Of note, this means it's sync'd, but Apple doesn't have the keys to access it, and only the local copy of 1Password will actually be able to read it. It really does sound like something is up with your Keychain though. :angry:

• nozaq
    nozaq
    Community Member

Finally solved the problem!

I've been trying several fixes I found on the web, e.g. rm-ing ~/Library/Keychain/***, running First Aid from Disk Utility etc, but no luck.
    The problem was that my screen lock configuration was broken.

I've configured macOS to require password immediately after screensaver begins, but it was broken somehow.
    After the screensaver begins, I could unlock using TouchID function, but I also could unlock the laptop by just moving a mouse cursor even without entering a password. It's really strange because System Preference said that it's configured to require password immediately after the screensaver begins. The problematic password prompt only appears when I unlock my laptop without using TouchID or entering a password.

The fix was just re-applying screen lock configuration from "System Preference > Security & Privacy > General", now I don't see verbose password prompt anymore.

Thanks @brenty for your help anyway :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

The problem was that my screen lock configuration was broken.

@nozaq: Wow. Never in a million years would I have thought of that. :dizzy:

I've configured macOS to require password immediately after screensaver begins, but it was broken somehow. After the screensaver begins, I could unlock using TouchID function, but I also could unlock the laptop by just moving a mouse cursor even without entering a password. It's really strange because System Preference said that it's configured to require password immediately after the screensaver begins. The problematic password prompt only appears when I unlock my laptop without using TouchID or entering a password. The fix was just re-applying screen lock configuration from "System Preference > Security & Privacy > General", now I don't see verbose password prompt anymore.

Thank you so much for sharing this! It may help someone else in the future who runs into a similar issue. I use the screen lock as well, and while I've never run into anything like this, it will always be in the back of my mind now in case I do. Cheers! :)

• jpgoldberg
    jpgoldberg
    1Password Alumni

Ha. I just had the very same problem. I'm glad I checked our forums before diving directly into this!

• Saher
    Saher
    Community Member

You can reset local items keychain by going to Finder => Go => Utilities => Key Chain Access. Click on the lock the keychain on the top left and unlock it once again. After that select Reset My iCloud KeyChain.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Definitely confusing at first, but (most) problems have solutions. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.