Autoupdate 1Password6 failed [Investigating]

heubergen
heubergen
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

After I get the notification for a new update, 1Password6 downloaded the installer and started it.
Unfortunately the installer failed with the follow message:

This is of course because I installed 1Password6 manually into C:\Program Files which requires administration rights.

I really hope you can do something about that.

1Password Version: 6.6.403
Extension Version: 4.6.5.b.1
OS Version: Win10
Sync Type: 1Password Privat Account

Comments

• Hi @heubergen,

Thanks for reporting this! Very good catch.

I've just replied to your other thread about this, that's one of the reasons we do not support multiple users due to issues like this.

We're actually going to remove the ability to install to custom directories, there are other issues such as updating or installing 1Password while files are in use can cause 1Password to crash. There are limitations in the tools we use to prevent such situations but at the moment, we can't support custom directories consistently and so, we're going to remove this from the installer.

As mentioned in the other thread, we will support this if we can find a better tool that gives us the reliability we need.

• Oh, for the moment, you can either grant 1Password access to that folder or disable automatic update and install updates as admin.

The best way to avoid this is to reinstall 1Password to your local account directory.

• heubergen
    heubergen
    Community Member

Hi @MikeT

I'll find my way through it that's not the problem, my comment here should be more seen as a bug and rather as asking for help :)
    I understandy that you can't support every single custom setup but isn't C:\Program Files the normal directories where programms installed for the last 20 years?

I don't expected an aswers as this is just discussions about your strategy so you can also close this question for now.

• Hi @heubergen,

We learn and improve 1Password based on our conversations with our customers, please don't stop, we do want to keep talking about it if you'd like.

isn't C:\Program Files the normal directories where programms installed for the last 20 years?

Yes, and Microsoft wants to move away from that as well but it is hard to change the entire industry when there are so many old apps still defaulting to it. I think for new apps like 1Password 6, this is the right approach. We need to start reducing the number of tasks that require admin rights.

However, at the same time, a lot of users have asked us to remove admin rights, so they could use 1Password at work, which would not allow you to install any apps that require admin rights. The only way we can do that consistently is to avoid using anything that requires any admin rights, which means defaulting to local account directories, avoid registry as much as possible and so on.

We ran into many problems where installers like MSI, would require admin rights even when we don't want it and force it to not ask for it. The problem? The mere mention of the program files start prompting for UAC and that blocks 1Password from being installed. :(

• heubergen
    heubergen
    Community Member

Hey @MikeT

Didn't do a lot of research about win10, it's interesting to see how things change.

However, at the same time, a lot of users have asked us to remove admin rights, so they could use 1Password at work, which would not allow you to install any apps that require admin rights.

As a system administrator at my office I can tell you that this is something the internal IT doesn't wanna have. They cut the admin rights for a reason and one of this is that the user can't install every programm he like.
    But maybe that's the new way Microsoft wanna have there system and there will be new ways to control the programm installations... Just wanna give you an other view about this topic.

• Hi @heubergen,

As a system administrator at my office I can tell you that this is something the internal IT doesn't wanna have. They cut the admin rights for a reason and one of this is that the user can't install every programm he like.

And there are just as many system admins that are okay with 1Password but do not want to give it admin rights anyway.

In addition, you can run 1Password from a USB drive without admin rights like this.

There isn't one simple solution that is going to please everyone at once, so we're making changes that works for most rather than everyone.

This discussion has been closed.