Duplicate passwords across different vaults

Hello guys! First things first - thanks for the amazing application.

My problem here is that in my company we are using the team subscription and we have quite a lot of vaults. Sometimes we have the same items in different vaults(we cannot put the item in the Shared vault) and when we change the password of the item in one vault the same item stays with the same password in the other vaults and it's not being updated. So, I need to go and change this item passwords in all different vaults where we are using it. My question is, is there some way of making these same items sync and update across other vaults? Thanks for your time!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @aleksandarr! Thanks for the kind words about 1Password. :) That's a good question about 1Password Teams. Rather than keeping a copy of an item in a few vaults, I'd recommend keeping one copy in one vault, then sharing that vault with the people who need it. Those members will be able to access the contents and edit the items, then the changes will be synced with other members as well. You may have to reorganize things a bit, but it'll work a lot better than several copies of the same item. Hope that helps!

• aleksandarr
    aleksandarr
    Community Member

Hi @Jacob! Thanks for the quick response. Yeah, that's the issue here isn't it - if we can't give access to all the people who need to use the item for the vault where that item is located we would have to keep updating the passwords manually across the other vaults too.

• Indeed. It's best to have a common vault where certain groups of people get what they need. You can also leverage custom groups to organize things a bit more if you need to.

• cbacklund
    cbacklund
    Community Member

I think the issue with this is that there are many permutations of permissions sometimes. We have the same problem as @aleksandarr because we exert quite fine control over what people should have access to, and without creating dozens of vaults it's impossible to manage this effectively.

It would be better to be able to tag entries to multiple vaults, instead of them having to exist in only 1 vault. Then any changes made to the item is 'replicated' across all vaults, because they basically just symlink back to the single instance of the same item.

• Thanks for the feedback. I can see where a shared item across vaults would be handy. We've got some ideas for solving that problem. I'm hoping we can share them with you in the future.

• quickdraw6906
    quickdraw6906
    Community Member

Ditto on the request! Managing hundreds of credentials will require having a central credential record, sym-linked out to many vaults. As passwords are rotated, there is no way to efficiently keep updated the many copies of a break-glass server credential copied out to many vaults (where each vault is shared with a different group of people each containing only credentials to resources each group needs).

• Thanks :) I hope we do find a better way of doing this for you folks. We haven't gotten a whole lot of requests for it so I can't say it's a priority, but I'll keep an ear out.

• brookwarner
    brookwarner
    Community Member

I'd totally +1 this request. If we could say this 'item' belongs in vaults A, B, D, and G but not in Vaults C, E, or F that would be amazing! I was hoping that a combination of groups + vaults would solve this but I can't seem to find a way that it would.

Also, we recently migrated from Lastpass and by golly we are loving 1Password so much more!

• Hi @brookwarner - Thank you so much for the kind words :blush: I'm happy to hear you're enjoying 1Password. I appreciate the feedback and feature request. As Jacob mentioned previously, we have a some ideas for solving the problem. Hopefully we'll have more news to share with you in the future. Keep us posted if you have any additional questions or suggestions. :+1: Enjoy the rest of your day!

This discussion has been closed.