Touch ID on new MacBook Pro is very erratic when trying to open 1Password for a web page.

Options
michael_pinkston
michael_pinkston
Community Member

When I click on the 1Password web extension icon on the safari page most time I will get the "mini-1Password connecting" dialog box displayed. Many times the mouse pointer spinning ball appears while other times the touch bar tells me to touch the finger print scanner on the end of the touch bar. Regardless of the display mode, eventually I am asked to enter my master password but even that does not seem to work. After numerous attempts and pokes, it seems to eventually work but not any where near as reliably on my old MacBook. Am I the only one? I have removed and reloaded the Safari extension without much difference.

1Password Version: 6.5.3
Extension Version: 4.6.2
OS Version: 10.12.3
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Touch ID on new MacBook Pro is very erratic when trying to open 1Password for a web page.

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @michael_pinkston,

I'm sorry you're having some trouble unlocking 1Password from the extension in Safari!

It sounds like the extension is having trouble connecting to 1Password mini, and the Touch ID option might have nothing to do with that. But to make sure, open the main 1Password app and go to 1Password > Preferences > Security, and disable the Touch ID option there. Now lock 1Password and try to unlock it from the extension again. Does that make any difference or does it still have trouble?

If 1Password is locked and you try to open & unlock the main app (instead of the extension), does that work correctly, or is there a delay similar to what you see with the extension?

• andreslotta
    andreslotta
    Community Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

Hi @Drew_AG,

I experience a very similar problem since I use 1Password with my new MacBook Pro (with Touch Bar) - not too sure if it has to do with the Touch ID option. I never experienced those problems on my old MacBook Pro though.

Sometimes - not very often but frequently - when I want to log into a website via keyboard shortcut (I use Google Chrome) nothing happens. When I then move the cursor towards the 1Password icon in the menu bar there is a spinner symbol - it then takes like a minute until the 1Password popup opens that tells me to use my fingerprint (the Touch Bar also shows the prompt) to unlock the application. But when I use my fingerprint nothing really happens. When I click the button to use the regular password instead it takes another minute to show me the password prompt. And after typing in my password it takes another time to really unlock the application.

It's hard to reproduce the problem. But it happens frequently and is very annoying. Hope we can find a solution soon. :)

Thanks in advance
    André

Btw: Once the application is unlocked the keyboard shortcut works as expected without any delay.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @andreslotta,

I'm sorry you're also experiencing a delay when trying to unlock 1Password! To see if this is related to Touch ID, please open the main 1Password app, go to 1Password > Preferences > Security, and disable the Touch ID option. When you lock 1Password, do you still have trouble unlocking it from the extension in Chrome?

Also, do you have trouble unlocking the main 1Password app with Touch ID? Or does the problem only happen when unlocking the browser extension?

Please also let us know a few details about your setup:

Thanks in advance! :)

• christiandwood
    christiandwood
    Community Member
    Options

I am having the exact same issue described above, I have turned off Touch ID and when I go to lock or unlock 1Password even then it starts spinning, and eventually comes up. I have rebooted as well just now to confirm it is still the same afterwards. Here is the information you had asked for:
    macOS: 10.12.3 (16D32)
    1Password version: 1Password 6
    Version 6.5.3 (653000)
    AgileBits Store
    I am using Safari, version is 10.0.3 (12602.4.8) and extension version is 4.6.2.

Let me know if you need anything else. Thanks.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @christiandwood,

Thanks for the information! If the same problem happens when Touch ID is disabled in 1Password, it sounds like something else is causing this. Do you also have trouble unlocking the main 1Password app, or does it only happen when unlocking it from the extension? Once the extension finally unlocks, does it work correctly until the next time you need to unlock it?

Just in case it helps, open the main 1Password app and go to Help > Troubleshooting > Restart 1Password mini. Then try to unlock it from the extension again. Does the problem happen again?

• christiandwood
    christiandwood
    Community Member
    Options

I have been using it without the TouchID since I posted initially and it has been running without issue. It was much more erratic when using the TouchID than without. I think it was initially when I first turned off TouchID that it was slow to respond.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for clarifying that, @christiandwood - it sounds like I may have misunderstood your first message, as it sounded to me like the same problems happened even after disabling the Touch ID option.

If you re-enable Touch ID in 1Password, do those problems start happening again? If so, I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac: https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

Attach the Diagnostics Report to an email message addressed to: support+forum@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum username so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and make sure you receive a reply as quickly as possible. Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance! :)

• andreslotta
    andreslotta
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Drew_AG ,

turning off Touch ID in 1Password seems to help. The issue did not appear within the last couple of hours. I will re-enable the Touch ID option and see if the issue appears again.

Regarding your questions:

What exact version of macOS are you running on your Mac? -> 10.12.3
    What exact version of the 1Password app is installed? -> 6.5.3
    Are you using the AgileBits Store version or the Mac App Store version of 1Password? -> AgileBits Store version
    What version of Chrome are you using? -> 56.0.2924.87 (64-bit)
    What version of the 1Password extension is installed in Chrome? -> 4.6.2.90

Let me know if you need some more information.

Thanks in advance
    André

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks, @andreslotta! If the same problems start happening again once you re-enable Touch ID in 1Password, please follow the steps in my previous post to create & send us a diagnostics report. Hopefully that will help us figure out what's causing this. :)

• andreslotta
    andreslotta
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @Drew_AG,

after re-enabling the Touch ID option the problem reappeared. Sometimes - when the problem appears - I can see the following popup:

The next time the problem appears I will create & send a diagnostics report.

Thanks in advance
    André

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Once you send us the report, just let us know the ticket ID from the automated response. Hopefully that will help us get to the bottom of this! :)

• rwbenz
    rwbenz
    Community Member
    Options

Hello Drew -- any updates on this topic? I'm having the exact same issue as described above. I just turned off Touch ID to see if things are any better. We'll see... I've already submitted a help ticket and sent in my diagnostic report.

Hopefully this can get resolved soon. Unfortunately 1Password is completely useless with this problem.

Thanks for the assistance.

• rob
    Options

Hi, @rwbenz.

I'm not seeing an email from the address you used here on the forum. Did you get an automated response with a ticket ID? If so, could you post that ID here?

• rwbenz
    rwbenz
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Rob,

Here's the ticket ID: #WWV-59442-265

Any resolution to the problem for the other users posting here?

Thanks.

• rwbenz
    rwbenz
    Community Member
    Options

Just an update: I turned off TouchID support in 1Password and haven't had any issues with 1Password since (the last day).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rwbenz: Thanks! I'm glad to hear that it works normally with it disabled, but I appreciate you sending the diagnostics so we can get to the bottom of what's happening. We'll take a look and get back to you shortly!

ref: WWV-59442-265

• zinom22
    zinom22
    Community Member
    Options

Hello, I am also having the exact same problem... With my LG 4K display not turning on properly this is the most annoying situation I got with my Mac for years. I disable finger ID without improvement. And I am running the laster MacOS X beta in the hope of a fix.

Mac OS Sierra : 10.12.4 (16E189a)
    MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2016, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
    1Passwords : 6.6.3 (663004)

Hoping that you find it soon....

Thanks

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@zinom22: I'm not sure I understand how the display is related, but so far what I've seen is that folks have VPN or "security" software on their systems that interferes with the Touch Bad / Touch ID itself. Is that also true in your case? There isn't anything 1Password can do about that, as it's at the system level. And anything blocking the local connections to the Touch Bar will almost certainly interfere with 1Password's connection to the browser as well (though other extensions can cause similar issues there too). Let me know what you find!

• zinom22
    zinom22
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, VPN... I am using CISCO AnyConnect VPN must of the time. I will check that. Thanks

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@zinom22: Thanks for confirming! Others here have reported that starting the VPN after 1Password allows Touch ID to initialize successfully, so that may help in your case as well.

• dcrall
    dcrall
    Community Member
    Options

I just submitted a diagnostic. I guess I should have read to the bottom of the thread as I use Cisco's AnyConnect VPN as well.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dcrall,

Sorry for any confusion about that! Just to be sure we understand, can you please confirm what sort of problem you're experiencing with 1Password when Cisco's AnyConnect VPN is enabled?

• dcrall
    dcrall
    Community Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

Hi @Drew_AG,

Thanks for the response. Triggering browser auto-fill is extremely slow with the VPN connected. If Touch ID is enabled, the dialogue prompting touch identification appears and the prompt on the TouchBar appears as well. However, it looks like 1Password is bogged down with something. I see the beach ball spinning if I try to open the 1Password menu item. I can trigger multiple TouchID prompts as it spins causing more confusion. Can not successfully complete touch id.

I disabled Touch ID, and that seemed to solve a number of issues. However, I had problems logging in to this page. I killed my VPN connection, and I was able to immediately autofill as expected.

I love the Touch ID support when it works. It's good to at least know what the problem is. I'm using Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client version 4.3.05017.

I can confirm that Touch ID works appropriately without the VPN connection.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2017
    Options

@dcrall: Thanks for letting us know! You may have luck using both if you initialize 1Password before using the VPN software. And if anyone is willing to share some information with Apple and Cisco that would shed some light on why their VPN configurations are interfering with this, it may lead to a more permanent solution. That would help with Touch ID, but if it's interfering with 1Password's connection to the browser then filling will continue to be a problem.

• jf_bertrand
    jf_bertrand
    Community Member
    Options

Adding my voice to the thread: same setup and same issue as others have reported. TouchID, 1password and cisco AnyConnect VPN client dont play well together.

When connected on the VPN, I cant even copy password from a previously unlocked 1password. However, as soon as I disconnect from the VPN, then touchID and copying password from 1password start working again.

• rudy
    Options

@jf_bertrand,

If you're able to get your VPN admin to have their client config ignore the en5 interface then you should be able to use your Touch ID sensor without interference. I have a radar open with Apple to investigate why some VPN clients are able to interfere with that interface even though they shouldn't be able to.

Rudy

• RobertLoney
    RobertLoney
    Community Member
    Options

Have had the same problem just in the last two days using 1Password v6.64 (Mac App Store) and Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client v4.2.03013 using MBP 15 2016 TouchBar running Mac OS10.12.4. The VPN software seemed to have disabled Touch ID for the whole system - I had to re-add my fingerprints to even unlock the MBP. Hadn't noticed that because I'm often using it in clamshell mode and my Apple Watch unlocks the laptop. Hope that information might be helpful. So far the fix has held.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@RobertLoney: Ah, that's really interesting. Thanks for sharing that! It may help others as well. :)

This discussion has been closed.