My secondary vault is not available, and 1Password won't run

Options
nlw
nlw
Community Member

I created a secondary vault several months ago, and synced to it once. It was a readyshare USB on a Netgear. We were having a problem on another machine, constantly getting "There was a problem connecting to the server "10.0.1.1", so I finally removed the ready share. After rebooting, that solved the problem on the other machine. Then it started cropping up on our other machines, naturally, For one of them, I could delete the secondary vault, and reboot, and I think it is ok. But on my machine, I stupidly switched to the secondary vault, and now I can't even login. If I knew where the vault selection was stored, maybe I could restore it from time machine. But the only plist I can find is very old. I am not sure if I have the data to delete and reinstall one password, as I have had it forever, and if I do have it, it is in 1password! I guess I could use time machine to restore my whole system. Any ideas?

Comments

• nlw
    nlw
    Community Member
    Options

Progress Update: I did a Time Machine restore, and now I can get into 1Password. I still get the "problem connecting" message on initial 1Password startup, but then it goes away. I went to preferences/All Vaults/ and unchecked the one that is no longer available. But , before and after I unchecked it, I do not see a "delete vault" for the secondary vault. I would like to completely get rid of it.

• Hi @nlw,

If I'm understanding the problem correctly, here's what I think you should do:

• Go to Preferences > Sync
    • Select the secondary vault
    • Set sync to None
    • Go back to the main window
    • Switch to the secondary vault
    • You should then be able to use the File > Delete Vault... menu item for that vault

I think that should do the trick. Let us know how that goes.

Rick

• nlw
    nlw
    Community Member
    Options

I can't select the secondary vault because I get the cannot connect error message. Is there any way I could edit or delete the plist so it doesn't know about the secondary?

• @nlw : the vault info isn't stored in the plist, but part of the sync settings are. I'm assuming that you're using the AgileBits Store version of the app and not the Mac App Store version (find out via 1Password > About 1Password...) to confirm. Let's try this.

• Go Preferencse > Sync
    • Select Primary
    • Disable Sync (set it to None). We'll re-enable it once we're done.
    • Use the 1Password 6 > Quit 1Password menu item, but hold down the control key to turn it into Quit 1Password & 1Password mini
    • Launch Terminal and run defaults delete 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword4-helper which will delete the plist file and tell cfprefsd to drop in-memory caches of it.
    • Quit Terminal
    • Launch 1Password
    • Go to Preferences > Sync, and see if you can now select the secondary vault. If you can and its sync is set to anything but None, set it to None
    • Switch the secondary vault, and delete it
    • Reconfigure the Primary vault's sync

If that doesn't work then we have another option. How are you syncing your Primary vault? We could always just do a full Reset 1Password and reconfigure this Mac from the sync vault. Let me know if you want the instructions for that.

Rick

• nlw
    nlw
    Community Member
    Options

I stopped after the "Launch 1Password". I still see the secondary vault, but yesterday I switched to it and lost everything. Now, with your solution, I don't get the error messages any more (there were probably 6 or 8 each time). I don't need the secondary vault. I was doing it for my husband, and it never did work right for us. I don't think it was a 1Password problem, but probably about the way we had it set up. For us, it would have been helpful if, when the secondary vault was not available, it would have asked if we wanted the primary. That would have saved me from my Time Machine restore yesterday. In any case, I am most appreciative of your help, and happy not to be tormented by so many error messages demanding attention! Thank you!

• @nlw : The error messages in this case were due to the fact that you're trying to sync via Folder Sync to a folder that's connected to network attached storage. We discourage that (and the app should warn if it sees you trying to do it) because we know that issues like this can happen and so much after that happens is beyond our control. The Mac handles these situations very very badly and there's only so much that we can do once it starts misbehaving.

Being able to share with other people has been a bit of a weak spot for 1Password until relatively recently. If you're looking to share with your husband, the recommended approach would be to use 1Password Families. It's pretty awesome and has features that we've never been able to provide before like giving you the ability to recover each others' accounts should you forget your Master Passwords (note that we don't have that ability, only you do). I recommend that you take a look at it, I think you'll like what it has to offer.

Cheers.

Rick

This discussion has been closed.