Master Password not accepted

Options
Aenne
Aenne
Community Member

Hi there -

I have just established a 1Password account, but cannot sign in. The master password - which I have just chosen - is not accepted. I had an older version (4) which I thought I'd deleted correctly, and another version (5) which I had downloaded a year ago before realizing that my iOS was not current enough. I now have El Capitan and downloaded 1Password6, but it led to the above problem. Perhaps a conflict between the two older versions? Or a problem with the username I chose, which contains a capital Umlaut (Änne). Unfortunately, since I can't sign in, I can't change the username either to try and see if that works.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.11.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Aenne,

I'm sorry you're having trouble signing into your new account from the 1Password app on your Mac!

Versions 4 and 5 of 1Password for Mac didn't support 1Password.com accounts, so it's good that you downloaded version 6. But since you had used 1Password on that Mac before, version 6 might be finding the data from the older versions. When you first opened 1Password 6, did you see a 'Welcome' screen with options to set up the app? Or did it immediately show you the lock screen and ask for your master password?

If it asked for your master password right away when you opened 1Password 6 for the first time, that means it found the older data from 1Password 4/5 and it's asking for your old master password associated with that data. Do you need that older data? If so, you'll need to unlock it by entering the old master password, and then you'll be able to add your new 1Password.com account and copy data from the old vault to your new account vault.

On the other hand, if it's finding your old data but you don't need it, you can reset the 1Password 6 app. To do that, open 1Password 6 (you should see the lock screen asking for your master password) and go to Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data and follow the on-screen instructions. After you do that, you'll see the 'Welcome' screen when you open 1Password and will be able to choose to sign into your new account.

Does that help? If I misunderstood what happens when you open the 1Password app, please let us know. Thanks! :)

• Aenne
    Aenne
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Drew_AG,

thanks for your answer; I did indeed get a welcome screen with all the options and set up the master password from that. I had downloaded version 5 but am very sure sure I never even chose a password, but of course I could be wrong. Since I haven't used any if the versions (only downloaded 6 today) so have no data that I need to access, I'll reset 6 and see how what works.

However, should I delete version 5 before I do that?

Thanks for your help! Änne

PS do you think I should change my username to one that doesn't include an Umlaut?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Aenne,

If 1Password 6 showed you the 'Welcome' screen the first time you opened it, that means it didn't find old data on your Mac, so at least we know it isn't/wasn't asking you to enter an old master password. Did you sign up for an account on 1Password.com first, before you downloaded 1Password 6? If so, then in order to set up 1Password 6, you'll want to select 1Password.com from the 'Welcome' screen (under "Used 1Password before?") and then choose to either scan your account details or enter them manually. You can see how that's done here: Set up the apps

If you no longer see the 'Welcome' screen when you open 1Password 6, and instead are immediately asked for your master password, you can reset the app to get back to that Welcome screen again.

However, should I delete version 5 before I do that?

It's not necessary, but it will help to avoid confusion, so it's probably a good idea. Just go to the Applications folder on your Mac, find the 1Password 5 app, and drag it to the Trash (don't use any app cleaning tools).

PS do you think I should change my username to one that doesn't include an Umlaut?

I forgot to mention this in my last reply - sorry about that! The Umlaut shouldn't be a problem at all, because you don't need to enter your name when signing into your account. You can change it if you'd like to, but it won't make a difference as far as the problem with your master password.

Let us know how it all goes. If you're still having trouble with your master password, please describe the exact steps you take and what you see happen in the 1Password app. Thanks! :)

• Aenne
    Aenne
    Community Member
    Options

I did a full reset and started a new account under a different email address and that worked. Thanks a lot for all the help!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're most welcome, @Aenne! I'm glad it's all working for you now. Hopefully you're all set, but if you have more questions or need anything else, just let us know. :)

This discussion has been closed.