1Password extension stops responding in Safari

Options

Comments

• joesammirato
    joesammirato
    Community Member
    Options

Not sure if this is relevant but I've been experiencing the same problem with Safari and 1Password mini. I often leave my browser windows open for lengthy periods of time tracking financial data in charts, etc. Mini works fine at first (and this always happens) but sometime later if I want to change websites and want to log in using Mini it won't open. The 1Password app continues working just fine but selecting an item in that app window does not launch a site in the browser. Re-launching Safari sometimes re-initializes 1Password mini but not always. Puzzling...

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@joesammirato When you say "if I want to change websites and want to log in using Mini it won't open". When you say, Mini, do you mean using the 1Password icon in the main menu bar of your Mac, along the top in line with the time and Apple icon, or the 1Password icon in Safari's toolbar in line with the address bar? Sorry for not following better, but I want to make sure we understand the nature of the behavior you're seeing before we try to solve the wrong problem. :)

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits
    Fort Worth, Texas

• joesammirato
    joesammirato
    Community Member
    Options

jxpx777...I've always considered the 1Password "browser extension" to be the mini-me component of the 1Password app. I don't believe the browser extension can run as a stand alone program. Oddly enough, the stand alone app (the one you referred to residing in the "main menu bar" of my Mac) cannot be used to launch any particular web page, at least on my Mac that is.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@joesammirato Yes, you're right. 1Password's extension does not work as a standalone program. 1Password mini runs in the menu bar along the top of the screen by default and the extension button lives in the browser. Both use the same UI provided by 1Password mini, but depending on where you initiate 1Password's popup, there is a different message flow.

When you click on the 1Password mini icon (while a browser is active), 1Password sends a message to the extension to find out the current URL. When you click on the 1Password extension button in the browser, the extension sends a message to 1Password mini that includes the current URL. That's just one example of the difference that could be relevant to diagnosing issues.

So, when you say "cannot be used to launch any particular web page", do you mean you're having issues with searching for Logins, navigating through the 1Password mini menu system in the Logins menu or something else?

• joesammirato
    joesammirato
    Community Member
    Options

Okay, so my issue is that the 1Password browser extension button seems to go to sleep after a certain period of time, that is it won't open (present the login window) even after repeatedly clicking on it–it simply won't do anything. I usually have to quit the browser completely, wait awhile before re-launching the browser app (Safari) and then the 1Password browser extension button opens normally for login with a mouse click on it. Meanwhile, the 1Password menu bar app is fine, it continues to run normally and opens usually not even requiring me to login again. I did say that I couldn't launch a website from the menu bar app but I was mistaken. I tested it again last night and it was fine.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks, @joesammirato. We did recently make some adjustments to how 1Password reconnects from the extension when you click on the button. We'll take a look at this to see if maybe we missed some edge case or something.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @joesammirato,

Can you do me a favour please.

1. Restart your Mac.
    2. Open 1Password and unlock.
    3. Confirm the extension is working correctly in your browser.
    4. Use your Mac normally until you see the issue appear.
    5. Create a diagnostic report and email it to us. I'll include the steps below.

I'm just curious to see if it sheds any light. Do you only use Safari by the way?Just wondering if you see this in other browsers too or if it's just Safari. Anyway, the steps for creating a diagnostic report can be found at.

For 1Password on your Mac

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums

The email address you will want to use is support+extension@agilebits.com.

When sending the diagnostic report to the address above it would help immensely if you could include a link to this thread and your forum handle so we can connect the two.

Once you've sent the report a post here with the ticket ID will help us to keep an eye out for it. Hopefully it tells us something.

• joesammirato
    joesammirato
    Community Member
    Options

Okay, I'll do this. Thank you.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @joesammirato,

Let us know when you've sent it in and the ticket ID that you should receive in an automated reply. That will ensure it doesn't get lost amongst the many emails from people looking for help and that the right people are made aware of your issue :smile:

• joesammirato
    joesammirato
    Community Member
    Options

I sent in the report but managed not to record the ticket ID however, I am now testing with a new account ID and re-installed MacOS Sierra after discovering what I think was a corrupt permissions issue and not allowing an app install to complete installation. I may follow up with a new report if after all of this, the 1Password/Safari issue remains.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @joesammirato,

I tried searching for an email from you but couldn't find anything. It will likely mean you'll receive a response from us at some point. Just let us know that you're testing a fresh build of MacOS and that you're waiting to see if the issue presents itself again and we'll take it from there :smile: Fingers crossed both it and whatever other issues you were experiencing all disappear though.

• joesammirato
    joesammirato
    Community Member
    Options

Just sent the Jedi a new diagnostics report of my system. The sleeping extension issue is back even though I created a new user account and reinstalled macOS Sierra.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @joesammirato,

Did you happen to get an automated response with a ticket ID for this new diagnostic report?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@littlebobbytables: Found it.

@joesammirato: Thanks! I see that we've received your email, so we can continue the conversation there. We'll take a look at the diagnostics and get back to you shortly! :)

ref: MIP-41554-517

• bgbrix3
    bgbrix3
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same issue, FYSA.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @bgbrix3,

The culprit in the previous case was most likely McAfee anti-virus. Do you happen to use this too?

• bgbrix3
    bgbrix3
    Community Member
    Options

@littlebobbytables I do use MsAfee a/v. What is odd, is the issue started a fairly long time after I began using the a/v. So Simone added a compatibility issue somewhere along the way. What is the fix?

• bgbrix3
    bgbrix3
    Community Member
    Options

Someone, not Simone...I don't want her getting blamed by autocorrect!

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @bgbrix3,

Unfortunately McAfee is known to prevent communication between the extension and the app after a Mac as been to sleep and is woken up again.

We only know of two workarounds - please know in advance that neither are very good :(

• Uninstall McAfee. This is a very drastic measure but unfortunately is the only solution we know of that will fix this in a permanent way.
    • Reboot your Mac. Unfortunately, this will only resolve the issue temporarily until your Mac goes to sleep again so it is a tedious workaround but one that we know works.

I'm very sorry about the available workarounds that are there at the moment. Please know that we are working on an alternative mechanism to communicate between the extension and the app which will help with this scenario. The other mechanism is called Native Messaging and will hopefully prevent this kind of issue when we release it. I don't have any timeline on when it will be available though.

I hope that helps. Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Best regards,
    Matthew

• ppochobradsky
    ppochobradsky
    Community Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

I have an identical issue. I do not use McAfee, but I am using Avast. I am using the latest Mac OS (Sierra 10.12.4) and 1Password (6.6.4). I have uninstalled and reinstalled Safari 1Password extension several times. I have deleted Safari extensions plist, extension folder and keychain files. Reinstalled again.

After 10 minutes or os, 1Password extension stops responding. The interesting thing here: I can get the 1Password extension to respond by disabling the 1P extension and re-enable it. However, it will still not fill in the creds.

Started several days ago out of the blue. Chrome does not have this problem. My other computer doesn't have this problem either. Same configuration but it is running Mac OS 10.12.15 Developer Beta.

I do have a bit of time and can work with you to help out. Thanks.

P.S. Experimented further. Since 1P extension works in Chrome, I used it to log into a website. 1P extension in Chrome will open Safari (it is designated as my default browser) and it will fill in the creds. This is despite filling it directly from Safari did not work.

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @ppochobradsky,

Thanks for writing in and sorry about the trouble with the Safari extension. You mentioned that you have the same issue as the other users in this thread. I'd just like to confirm that when the issue starts happening that the 1Password button in Safari becomes unresponsive and clicking it no longer brings up the 1Password Mini window. Would that be correct?

Or when you're in this scenario does clicking the 1Password button show the 1Password Mini window but attempting to use it fill Logins with it doesn't work? If this second scenario more accurately describes the issue, does reloading the web page help at all?

Looking forward to hearing back.

Best regards,
    Matthew

• ppochobradsky
    ppochobradsky
    Community Member
    Options

Matthew, first scenario is correct. I re-tested my description: With Safari closed, I use the 1Password mini in Chrome. I find the webpage I want to log into and click the fill and login link. It opens Safari and logs in as it should. 1Password mini will work in Safari for a while, but after I quit Safari and reopen it, it goes back to 1Password extension being unresponsive.

It seems I can always log in using 1Password mini in Finder's menu bar. Again, this will make the Safari extension work until I quit Safari. Also, when the Safari extension doesn't work, my Alfred Powerpack doesn't work either. Hope this helps.

• ppochobradsky
    ppochobradsky
    Community Member
    Options

Another detail, Matthew... On my third computer also running the latest OS and same configuration as the first computer—same problem with the Safari extension. So, the only place this is not a problem is on the computer running the 10.12.5 Developer Beta OS.

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey again @ppochobradsky,

Thanks for letting us know all those details. I think I will need to take a look at a Diagnostics Report for your computer in order to investigate this one further. The following guide will show you how to create a Diagnostics Report:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics

Attach the Diagnostics Report(s) to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report(s) in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report(s) in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report(s) and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Looking forward to hearing back.

Best regards,
    Matthew

This discussion has been closed.