Mini isn't inserting the correct password

Options

I am using the latest version of 1PW, Safari and Sierra. Everything is updated to the most recent versions available. On one particular website Mini is pasting in an incorrect password. 1PW and Safari have the correct password, and when I scroll through the list of passwords inside Mini it also shows the correct password, but Mini insists on overwriting the Safari-supplied password with an incorrect one. When I disable Mini, everything works fine, including when I ask 1PW to supply the password (but not through Mini). This behavior is not seen in Chrome.

Any ideas?

1Password Version: 1Password 6 Version 6.6.4 (664001)
Extension Version: 4.6.3
OS Version: macOS 10.12.4
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @jkuhn,

Thanks for taking the time to write into us and I'm sorry about this annoying behaviour. We recommend disabling the built-in password manager in the browser it can conflict with the 1Password form filling.

It would be worth checking if you disable the built-in password manager if that helps.

Let me know how that goes and if you've any questions about anything above don't hesitate to send a reply.

Best regards,
    Matthew

• jkuhn
    jkuhn
    Community Member
    Options

Actually, the reverse is happening: the browser is inserting the correct PW, and 1PW is overwriting the browser-supplied PW with an old PW. The greater mystery is where 1PW is getting the old PW; I search for it under a variety of terms and cannot find it inside 1PW, which DOES have the correct PW.

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @jkuhn,

1Password uses the website field of Login items in order to determine which Login(s) it will offer you to fill in on a website. So if you're on the website already and click the 1Password browser extension button to bring up 1Password Mini, it will offer you a list of Login items that match the current web page you're viewing. The match is done by comparing the web page address from the browser address bar and the Login item's website field. So if 1Password is indeed filling the wrong password then the Login item where it's getting it from must have a website field that matches the problematic web page's address. So the problematic Login item should show up if you're viewing the web page and click on the 1Password browser button.

If you try this, do you see any Login items appear in 1Password Mini if you're viewing the web page in your browser and then click the 1Password browser button?

Just for a bit of background, there are two ways you can use 1Password to fill which have slightly different behaviour:

• Using Go & Fill.

So if you click the website field from the main 1Password app or bring up 1Password Mini and click a Login item that doesn't match the current web page then you're using Go & Fill. When 1Password then opens a new tab in your browser it will attempt to fill your username & password as soon as the web page loads.

Is this the approach you're using when you notice 1Password appears to be populating the incorrect password?

• Filling the current webpage.

This is done if you have loaded a web page without using 1Password. Then either:

• Used the 1Password keyboard shortcut ⌘\ to fill or
      • Clicked the 1Password browser extension button and clicked a Login item that appears directly beneath the search area of 1Password Mini.

In this case, 1Password won't attempt to fill the username or password until you use one of the two above methods to fill. Does 1Password enter the wrong details if you try this approach?

Looking forward to hearing back.

Best regards,
    Matthew

This discussion has been closed.