Vaults and different master passwords

Options

Background:
I am currently running the trial version of 1password with an eye to subscribing to personal or family version.
I am interested in the family version so that I have the option to share vaults.

I'm aware the trial version may be cut down so that's why i am also viewing the family plan videos.

My question relates to multiple vaults and master passwords.
Numerous 1password videos online seem to contradict each other; some show creation of a new vault along with a master password specific for that vault, whereas other vids show creation of new vaults with no password at all.
Even in the family version, new vaults seem to be created with no master password and are then shared out via invites in the admin console.

This confuses me because it seems to allude that things have changed?
Does this mean if I get a family plan and create vaults to share with them, do I have to give them then one master password?

providing my master password will be a pain for family members to remember and frankly, I don't want them having it because they may write it down. Is it still possible to have a master password for myself as admin and then master passwords for the secondary vaults?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @CDavidson,

Thanks for your interest in 1Password Families.

You are very right, some of the videos still refer to the old way of sharing vaults.
    With a 1Password Families account each family member will have their own account and their own set of sign in credentials but no separate Master Password will be necessary for the shared vaults.

Tell us if there's anything else we can help you with.

Cheers,

Alex

• CDavidson
    CDavidson
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @AlexHoffmann!
    Good info to know.

Ok so in my example, each family member has their own login master password they use to login and create their own vaults.
    And as admin, I will be able to create and share vaults while keeping my work credentials secure.
    Much better.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Exactly! Makes it easy to secure things by keeping them to yourself, and also not have to share a Master Password with anyone else. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.