1Password mini "dies" on two MacBook Pros

This started around 04/25 on both my and my wife's computers. This leads me to believe it may be some sort of general problem. Normally, the 1Password icon in Safari produces a dropdown that can be used to log into web sites. In this case clicking the icon does nothing.

We have been solving this by closing Safari, starting 1Password and selecting Help->Troubleshooting->Restart 1Password mini. Closing 1Password and opening Safari usually solves the problem.

I said mini "dies" but I don't actually know if that is what is happening. It may just stop communicating with the Safari extension. Some of the stuff I have read suggests that if mini actually shut down I would not be able to start 1Password.

At the time we were running 6.6.4 but have upgraded to 6.7.0 and 6.7.1 without the problem going away.

1Password Version: 6.7.1
Extension Version: 4.6.4
OS Version: 10.12.4
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• rbpeirce
    rbpeirce
    Community Member

It turns out 1Password mini doesn't actually die. Activity Monitor shows it is still running. Mini and the Safari extension get disconnected. Why and what do I do about it?

• amjbrown
    amjbrown
    Community Member
    edited April 2017

I am experiencing the same problem - the 1Password button in Safari had stopped doing anything.

I revitalised it with a Help->Troubleshooting->Restart 1Password mini (thanks for the tip). However it was doing it earlier and after a reboot had started again, hence posting a follow-up to rbpierce's message. Will monitor...

• amjbrown
    amjbrown
    Community Member

Same again this morning. I see agilebits are on it, and the temporary workaround is to return to 4.6.3...

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/78160/1password-safari-extension-4-6-4-not-working#latest

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @amjbrown and @rbpeirce,

That is correct. If you're finding that you are constantly having to muck about with the extension after any restart of either the Mac or Safari then then best workaround I can think of is to temporarily return to 4.6.3 while we try to understand why 4.6.4 has gone so badly wrong. We are investigating and will keep that announcement updated as we learn more.

• rbpeirce
    rbpeirce
    Community Member

That's great, but how do we get and install 4.6.3.

When was the update to 4.6.4?

• rbpeirce
    rbpeirce
    Community Member

Also, does Safari just magically install the latest update because I was never informed? If so, how do you re-install 4.6.3 and prevent an update to 4.6.4?

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni

Hey @rbpeirce,

Safari by default will update your extensions for you automatically, we have a guide for how to install 4.6.3 and prevent the auto-updating of extensions temporarily to work around this issue (we normally recommend enabling auto-updates to ensure you get the latest features and fixes).

I'm very sorry for the inconvenience - I hope that helps. Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Best regards,
    Matthew

• rbpeirce
    rbpeirce
    Community Member

Thanks. I got it installed on my machine. Extensions shows 4.6.3. Now I need to put it on my wife's machine.

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni

Great, glad to hear it. :+1:

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @amjbrown,

I have a favour to ask. You mentioned how the extension failed after a restart for you and while we're doing our best to fix this we don't yet fully understand the cause. If you're feeling adventurous would you consider trying out a new beta we released just now. I've detailed everything (I hope) in Looking for Safari users willing to help test a new beta. You can leave feedback there.

You are certainly not obligated to do so, we're just looking for some testers who have experienced the issue that can let us know if this helps at all. Ideally we would be publishing a new beta we knew fixed it but at the moment we've been unable to reproduce the bug in all of its severity.

• amjbrown
    amjbrown
    Community Member

...using the new beta now...

So far so good, but obviously it needs to go to sleep to test :)

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

Thanks, @amjbrown! I think things are looking good for this fix. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.