To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Master password & thumbprint

Options
lkerner
lkerner
Community Member

My thumbprint symbol has disappeared and I've forgotten my MP. I changed it several weeks ago so it's not the same one on my emergency kit. How can I get the thumbprint back? Then I can redo MP and write in down in my kit.

Comments

• lobianco
    lobianco
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @lkerner! Sorry to hear that you're having some trouble with Touch ID. Sometimes you'll be prompted for your Master Password even if you have Touch ID enabled. Here are a few common examples:

• If your fingerprint isn’t recognized three times in a row
    • If you tapped Settings > Security > Lock Now
    • If you’re trying to change your Master Password
    • If Require Master Password is set to After Device Restart in Settings > Advanced > Security, and you’ve just restarted your device
    • If the amount of time in Settings > Advanced > Security > Require Master Password has elapsed

If the Touch ID button isn't appearing, then it's likely that you hit one of the scenarios above. In that case, I'd suggest having a look at this article to get some tips on remembering your MP: https://support.1password.com/forgot-master-password. It has a few good suggestions, including recovering from a backup (if you use 1Password on Mac or Windows).

I know that probably wasn't the answer you were hoping for, but hopefully one of the options in that article will help you get back up and running. A friendly reminder to remember that Touch ID isn't a full replacement for your MP, so it's best to keep your MP tucked away in the back of your memory (or in some other safe place) for situations like this.

Please let me know if and when you're able to get back into your account :smile: Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.