Looking for the 1Password helper?

mschulz12
mschulz12
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I'm a new user. I downloaded the chrome extension but keep getting the error message "Either the helper is not running, or something is preventing it from communicating with the 1Password browser extension." and "Looking for the 1Password helper- The 1Password helper must be running for the extension to work properly." I saw this was happening in April because the updates hadn't happened yet...is that still the case? If so, how do I have 1password generate my secure passwords without using the browser extension?

I can't figure out where to find the additional information below, but would be happy to add it if I knew where to find it!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:1password helper

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mschulz12: You can use the password generator in the main 1Password app...but I wonder if you have it installed since you're getting this message and don't know which version you're using. To be clear, the 1Password browser extensions cannot function without the app. It sounds like you may be using 1Password Families, so in that case be sure to install 1Password 6:

1Password 6 beta (Windows)

Once it's installed, you should be able to open and unlock the main 1Password app and then use the extension in your browsers as well. If you're still having trouble, do you perhaps have "security" software installed that might be interfering? Let me know what you find! :)

• mschulz12
    mschulz12
    Community Member

@brenty : Thank you for your help! I just installed the app as you advised and deleted and then re-added the chrome extension. I'm getting the same error message when I press on the browser extension but it is opening up the app now.

I do have Webroot on the computer?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mschulz12: Thanks for clarifying! Be sure to configure that and any other software to allow 1Password to connect to the browser, or it will not work:

Configuring Webroot SecureAnywhere

I hope this helps. Let me know how it turns out, and let me know which version of 1Password you're using if you're still having trouble! :)

• mschulz12
    mschulz12
    Community Member

@brenty : Thank you!!! I followed the instructions on the link that you sent me but on the Application Protection tab there were no applications that had agile1 in it. =( The version of my desktop app is 1Password 6.0.177d

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mschulz12: Sorry for the confusion there! It's shown differently on some systems. You may see "1Password for Windows Desktop" or just "1Password" listed there instead. Just add an exception for that and you should be good to go. Let me know how it turns out! :)

• mschulz12
    mschulz12
    Community Member

@brenty I dont' see anything that says 1password either :/ Here's a screenshot of the options

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2016

@mschulz12: Ah, thank you. I'm sorry about that! You'll need to click +Add Application in the lower right, select AgileBits.OnePassword.Desktop.exe in C:\Program Files\1Password 6\, and set it to Protect. Let me know if that helps! :)

• mschulz12
    mschulz12
    Community Member

@brenty I did it, but am still having the same problem. =(. I really appreciate your help- but is there any online chat or tech support to get more immediate help? My free trial just expired so now I'm paying for it and would really like it to work!!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2016

@mschulz12: I'm really sorry you're still having trouble. Just to be clear, this is the 1Password support forum, and I work for AgileBits, so this is the place to get help.

Do you have 1Password 4 installed? If so, it will be best to uninstall it so it doesn't think that the extension's communications are meant for it.

Please disable WebRoot temporarily, try to use 1Password in your browser again, and if you're getting the same error, go to the main 1Password app and type the following in the search box:

/log, then press Enter. This will open up our log window.

Click on the Save button on the top toolbar to save the log and then email it to us at support+windowsbeta@agilebits.com along with a link to this discussion. We'll get this sorted out for you!

• mschulz12
    mschulz12
    Community Member

Thank you @brenty ! Emailing now.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2016

@mschulz12: I don't see anything in our system from this address, but if you'll post the Support ID you received we'll take a look at the logs and get back to you as soon as we can. Thanks in advance! :)

ref: SYS-74394-448

• myred4re
    myred4re
    Community Member

Brenty - I am having problems on my Windows PC with 1Password. Nothing happens when I use CTRL+\ to have 1PW load my login credentials on a site. I have the Chrome extension loaded. When I click on the extension icon in Chrome, it says Looking for the 1Password helper...Couldn't connect to 1Password. Do you know if Sophos anti-virus restricts 1PW? I've had this problem previously and then it went away. Now it's back again.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@myred4re: Sophos might be blocking the connection between 1Password app and the extension. Please try to follow the steps in this guide to configure it to work with 1Password. Let us know if it helps. Thanks! :+1:

• myred4re
    myred4re
    Community Member

It's crazy! Since I sent the post, I changed NOTHING and 1PW started working.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

That is odd. Perhaps it was just a temporary glitch in the OS. I know sometimes I'll spend hours troubleshooting a nonsensical issue, only to find that everything is just fine after restarting Windows. Anyway, we're here if you run into anything else! :)

This discussion has been closed.