Permission level required to move items between vaults

We have a number of Vaults within our org all setup with access via groups (generally with either Read only or RW access). We now want some of those members of the Read/Write groups to have the ability to move items between Vaults.

I would have expected if you can Read/Write to a vault then you can also Share/Move between Vaults - and this seems to be the case in some instances, while in others, they require the 'Export / Share' permissions.

It's not clear to me how this is supposed to work? Have I come across a bug OR are you supposed to require 'Export / Share' to move items between Vaults (even though you could simply Create & then delete to achieve the same thing?

1Password Version: 6.5.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: Teams

Comments

• Hi @alackmann! I'd be happy to clear things up. While read and write access allows you to see view and create items in a vault, export and send permissions are required to move items between vaults. They're separate so you can control who is able to move or copy items to another vault — in some cases it's best to keep things limited to a few people so items don't get mistakenly put in Personal vaults or ones that are shared with the whole team. Hope that helps. :)

• mr_fixit
    mr_fixit
    Community Member

Thanks, Jacob. Currently, the 'Copy' and 'Move' menu items are disabled if you don't have the required permissons, leaving the user to wonder 'if it's a bug'.

The documentation at https://support.1password.com/move-share-items/ says "If you can’t move items to a shared vault, ask your family organizer or team admin if you have the right permissions."

Perhaps the documentation could explicitly say "you need X & Y permission" and the app's UI could put the explanation "disabled because you don't have X and/or Y permission" right at the point of disappointment.

• Hi @mr_fixit - It's a great suggestion and we appreciate the feedback. I can understand where that could lead to confusion. I appreciate you taking the time to send this over to us and I will make sure to mention this to the team. :+1: Have a great weekend!

• crystal_manrique
    crystal_manrique
    Community Member
    edited May 2017

Hi! I'm in our administrator group with full access to all our vaults, but I can't find a place to enable export/share permissions in order to move passwords between vaults. Where do I find this setting?

• john_m
    john_m
    1Password Alumni

Hi @crystal_manrique! These options can be set at the group and member level in the vault's administrative controls. Sign into the web interface for your account, click on the account name in the top right corner and choose "Admin Console". Click on "Vaults", then click on the vault you want to manage. You will see the groups and people that have access to that vault - click on the cog/gear icon beside a group or person to edit their permissions.

I hope that helps! :chuffed:

• crystal_manrique
    crystal_manrique
    Community Member

Thanks for the reply, @john_m. That is exactly where I was looking, but all I see is this:

• john_m
    john_m
    1Password Alumni

@crystal_manrique That's the right place! The permissions for a Teams Standard account to move items between vaults requires both "Allow Viewing" and "Allow Editing" on both the source and destination vaults (as having access to an item to move it implies having "view" access, and a move operation in essence involves creating and deleting an item, implying "edit" access).

• crystal_manrique
    crystal_manrique
    Community Member

@john_m Yes, as I said before, I have Full Access (View/Edit/Manage) on all of our vaults, but I still do not have the option to move:

• Hi @crystal_manrique - Sorry for the troubles and thank you for including a screenshot - very helpful :wink: It looks like your using 1Password 6 on Windows which only supports the "copy" function as of right now. We're working on adding the ability to "move" items but as right now you can only copy items over from within the app. You should be able to "move" items over via the web app as John mentioned previously. I hope this helped a bit and let us know if you have any additional questions. We're happy to assist. :+1:

• crystal_manrique
    crystal_manrique
    Community Member

Ah good to know that it's only available on the web! Thanks for the help

• Anytime @crystal_manrique, and hopefully it won't be too long before the "move" function is added to 1Password 6 on Windows. Keep an eye on those release notes :smile: Enjoy the rest of your day!

This discussion has been closed.