URL with onepasswdfill parameter doesn't load in Firefox

heubergen
heubergen
Community Member

Check my setup below. (I added the browser version just for you^^)
Make the browser to your standard browser.
Open 1Password Application and click on a url.
The browser opens a page like https://discussions.agilebits.com/?onepasswdfill=xxxx&onepasswdvault=yyyy

The issue is that the site doesn't even load, it's just a empty white space. When I remove the onepasswdfill parameter it loads again.

1Password Version: 6.6.407
Extension Version: 4.6.5.b2
OS Version: Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16184
Browser Version: Firefox Nightly 55
Sync Type: 1Password Accounts

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @heubergen,

If you open about:support in Firefox what do you see under the entry Multiprocess Windows in the Application Basics section? The current 1Password Firefox extension is not multiprocess (e10s) compatible and if it is enabled the casualty is open and fill. We are working on a WebExtensions version of the extension but as this will likely require native messaging we need to ensure various pieces are in place in all supporting clients first.

Mozilla added a number of shims, ways to allow non-WebExtension extensions to work with e10s, but our extension seems to be an one of a more unusual design because we need the ability to view the URL before the browser has processed it at all. We use this for open and fill and do so to identify when it is being used and to strip away the 1Password specific parameters before the browser sends the request to the server. As there is no way to do this in e10s under the old extension approach we lose the ability to remove the parameters. Some sites will load the page anyway and ignore the parameters as they don't look for them while it is possible for a site to decide to not fulfil the request as you've seen.

For the moment it's about making sure we complete each step as we work towards a point in time where we can release a WebExtensions version for Firefox.

• heubergen
    heubergen
    Community Member

Hi @littlebobbytables

Thank you for sharing this information with me. Indeed I have activated e10s so that's the issue here.
    I'm pretty sure you will need to use native messaging (as recently introduced into your chrome extensions). I really hope that you can develop and publish maybe even a basic version of your exentesion till 11.2017 (the release of Firefox 57).

If you need any assistence or help by testing the new Webextensions, I'm here and I'm happy to help you guys!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @heubergen,

Chrome support was indeed one of the first steps towards a native messaging WebExtension as the Chrome version can support both a WebSocket and NM connection. This allowed us to release a version that will continue to work with older versions of 1Password for Mac while we test and refine the NM connection code that is present in both the Chrome extension and 1Password 6 for Windows. One of the next steps is to see NM support in 1Password for Mac and ensure it works reliably there too. At that point we should be quite close to being able to publish a WebExtensions version and yes, the roadmap is to have all of this resolved, hopefully well in advance, for Firefox 57 given it will be discontinuing all support for old extensions.

• nfagerlund
    nfagerlund
    Community Member
    edited May 2017

@littlebobbytables I was just investigating why e10s was disabled today, and this thread totally answered my questions. Thank you!

Well, I do have one question: Is "open and fill" the only thing that barfs if e10s is on? Everything else SEEMS fine, and I can live without that feature, but I want to make sure there aren't any known security/stability problems or anything before I leave e10s set to forced-on.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @nfagerlund,

You are correct, the only thing that will not work is open and fill. Every other part of the extension works and we're not aware of any issues if e10s is force enabled. If you're happy to live without open and fill that is an option.

• nfagerlund
    nfagerlund
    Community Member

Awesome, thank you.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

:smile:

This discussion has been closed.