I can login on my phone but can't on my new computer

Options
jakeschuch
jakeschuch
Community Member

I originally set up my 1pass account with work. My "Primary" vault was tied to my work Dropbox and my passwords were stored in that vault. Before I left the company I moved all my logins to my "personal" vault. My personal vault is tied to my personal Dropbox. I can see the the keychain when starting up 1password on my computer and sync to my Dropbox file (the keychain is visible). When I put the password in it rejects me every time. I used my personal phone at work and access from my phone is still functioning.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

1Password Version: 1Password Version 6.7 (670008) Mac App Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS Sierro 10.12.4
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Frank
    edited May 2017
    Options

Hi @jakeschuch - Sorry for the troubles and I'll be happy to assist. Double check the Master Password you're using when adding Dropbox as a sync source. I believe you can still access everything on your iPhone since you're using Touch ID. This guide offers a couple of tips - make sure your CAPS lock is off and spaces do count. Keep us posted and let us know if you have any further questions. We're happy to help :+1:

• jakeschuch
    jakeschuch
    Community Member
    Options

Hey Frank,

Thank you for the prompt reply!

I'm not using Touch ID for my phone. I've always used the master password for my iPhone. I tried all the tricks in the link you sent me to no avail.

I've attempted to sign into my 1pass account online but realized that I purchased the app from the App store. I'm assuming I never set up an account as when asking to reset my password agile bits sends me an automatic email that my email isn't recognized. It could also be that my account could have originally been set up under my work email as that was the "primary" account. What can I do if I don't have access to my old work email?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jakeschuch,

If you were using Dropbox to sync 1Password on your computer at work, you most likely didn't have a 1Password.com account, and were using a standalone license for the 1Password for Mac app. (We introduced 1Password.com accounts last year so they're relatively new, and they sync through our own servers instead of Dropbox.)

I'd like to make sure I understand your previous & current setup, so we can figure out the best way to help you with this. Can you please let me know if the following is correct:

• On your Mac at work, you had two vaults: the Primary vault which had your work data, and the second vault which had your personal data.
    • The Primary vault at work was pointing to a sync file in your work Dropbox account. The second vault at work was pointing to a sync file in your personal Dropbox account.
    • On your iPhone, you have one vault (Primary) which had been syncing with the second vault on your work Mac.
    • Before leaving the company, you moved items on your work Mac from the Primary vault to the second vault. Those items all synced (via Dropbox) to your iPhone, so you now have all your data on the iPhone.
    • You're trying to set up 1Password on a personal Mac for the first time, and you choose Dropbox from the 'Welcome' screen, but when you select your sync file from Dropbox, it won't accept your master password.

If anything above is incorrect, please let us know.

But if that's all correct, and the sync file you're selecting when setting up 1Password on your Mac is the same one your iPhone syncs with, is it possible you're entering the wrong master password? In other words, you would have had two different master passwords: one for your Primary/work vault, and one for your personal vault (which is the one you currently use on your iPhone). When you choose the sync file from Dropbox on your personal Mac, you'll need to make sure you enter the same master password you enter on your iPhone (and not the one you entered on your work Mac).

I don't know if that's the problem, but it's my first guess. Let us know about the above things and we'll continue from there. Thanks! :)

• jakeschuch
    jakeschuch
    Community Member
    Options

Hey Drew,

All the points are correct.

I can confirm that the same password I'm using on my iPhone (that does get accepted) is being rejected when I attempt to put it in on my new Mac. I feel like I'm going old school, I have to reference my phone every time I log on to something on my Mac. I do miss the ability to use the browser plug-in feature....

There was never a separate password for either vault. I always used the master to access them both.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2017
    Options

Thanks, @jakeschuch! Hmm, that's strange, I don't know why your master password wouldn't be working when choosing the sync file on your personal Mac. But since you have all your data in 1Password on your iPhone, you can try deleting the current sync file from Dropbox and then create a new sync file from your iPhone.

Before doing that, it's a good idea to create a backup of the 1Password data on your iPhone and save it to your Mac by following the steps here: iOS: Create a backup

When you're ready, go ahead and follow these steps:

On your Mac:

• Open your Dropbox folder, find your 1Password sync file, and drag it to the Trash.

On your iPhone:

1. Open 1Password and go to Settings > Sync > Primary > Start Syncing. (At some point you'll get an error message when it realizes the sync file was removed from Dropbox, which is expected.)
    2. Tap Sync with Dropbox. (If prompted, sign in to Dropbox or tap 'Allow' to allow 1Password to connect to your Dropbox account.)
    3. Tap the name of your Dropbox account.
    4. When a message says it will create a new file in Dropbox, tap Create File.
    5. Allow Dropbox to complete the sync.

On your Mac, you'll need to wait until the new sync file has completely downloaded (within the Dropbox folder). Then you can try again to set up 1Password on your Mac. When you select the new sync file from Dropbox, it should accept your master password. Let us know how it all goes! :)

This discussion has been closed.