Want unsecured list of logins, brief unlock

A feature I would dearly love is to be able to use the basic feature of automatic login without leaving my vault unlocked.

As I envision it:
- I can see most or all of my logins without unlocking the vault (I understand some users want to be able to hide sensitive login shortcuts)
- I choose one from the list
- 1Password asks me for my master password
- 1Password unlocks the vault just long enough to obtain the info and logs me in

That way 1Password would normally be locked and if anybody stole my laptop they would not be able to use my vault.

I realize I have to unlock the vault for longer to do anything fancier, such as editing entries and even generating passwords. But 99% of the time I"m just visiting an existing site with existing credentials and I do NOT want to leave the vault unlocked!

Comments

• jpgoldberg
    jpgoldberg
    1Password Alumni
    Hi rowen. Welcome to the forums!

You are looking for the ability to search and list logins before unlocking. This is a capability that we are actually moving away from. Because people sync their 1Password data through third party systems and because computers containing 1Password data can be stolen or compromised, we need to be concerned about leaving any information in your database (including titles and web locations) unencrypted.

So we are actually migrating away from what you are looking for and toward a system where the 1Password data need to be unlocked before Login titles and locations can be listed. You can read a bit more about this in a blog post Looking Ahead in Security.

I certainly sympathize with what you are asking for, but it would just leave more information unencrypted than we would like given the emerging computing environment.

Cheers,

-j
  • rowen
    rowen
    Community Member
    jpgoldberg wrote:

Hi rowen. Welcome to the forums!

You are looking for the ability to search and list logins before unlocking. This is a capability that we are actually moving away from. Because people sync their 1Password data through third party systems and because computers containing 1Password data can be stolen or compromised, we need to be concerned about leaving any information in your database (including titles and web locations) unencrypted.

So we are actually migrating away from what you are looking for and toward a system where the 1Password data need to be unlocked before Login titles and locations can be listed. You can read a bit more about this in a blog post Looking Ahead in Security.

I certainly sympathize with what you are asking for, but it would just leave more information unencrypted than we would like given the emerging computing environment.

Cheers,

-j

Here's an idea that is compatible with your model and gives me what I want: please offer an option for the 1Password Safari extension to lock itself whenever the 1Password plugin window is closed. That way I can unlock it, select my web site and go, knowing my passwords have been locked down again. This also permits password generation and all that sort of thing.

In essence the current model makes me leave my keys in the door for some time after I unlock. This idea allows me to avoid that security risk. It would not be for everybody, but it would be great for anybody who uses a laptop in a public place!
  • MikeT
    edited August 2011
    rowen wrote:

Here's an idea that is compatible with your model and gives me what I want: please offer an option for the 1Password Safari extension to lock itself whenever the 1Password plugin window is closed. That way I can unlock it, select my web site and go, knowing my passwords have been locked down again. This also permits password generation and all that sort of thing.

In essence the current model makes me leave my keys in the door for some time after I unlock. This idea allows me to avoid that security risk. It would not be for everybody, but it would be great for anybody who uses a laptop in a public place!
    Hi Rowen,

Have you consider using the lock button in the extension? This will let you lock it anytime you want, and you can also tell 1Password to auto-lock itself after a minute. You can open the main 1Password app, go to the 1Password Menu > Preferences > Security and change the auto-lock timer to 1 minute.

JSE_Lock-20110805-191220.png

As for the auto-lock after a single use, we’ll look into it. As long as the extension is locked, no features can be used, even for password generation. The reason is because the database is encrypted with your master password and in order to access the database, the master password has to be entered. When you generate a password, we record it for you in the database as a safety net, so this requires access to your database as well.

I hope that helps.
This discussion has been closed.