[Suggestion] 1Password browser icon to change colour for matching logins and/or when logged in

Options

Currently when you visit a website with a matching login that has been saved in 1Password, you cannot tell this unless you click on the 1Password icon in the browser where you will then see the matching login in the dropdown. In addition, there's no way to tell if you are currently logged into 1Password in your browser.

For those of us who like to use the keyboard shortcut (Cmd + \ on Mac) to fill in login details, we either need to remember the sites that we have already stored login details for (which can be tricky when you have added a bunch already but have quite a few still to add) or you have to click on the dropdown to check (or of course use the keyboard shortcut to see if it fills anything in or not).

What would be great is if the 1Password icon in the browser changed colour when there was a matching login. It could change from the standard grey to blue. What would possibly be even nicer than this is that, if you are logged into 1Password (ie it's not locked) it turns blue and then if there's a matching login (or logins) then a number appears showing the number of matching logins (useful if you have multiple accounts on a site).

This would be similar to the likes of the Google Mail Checker extension icon, which is grey when logged out, red when logged in and red with a number when there are new messages.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the suggestion, @martok. We have something like this in mind for a future update, but it's a bit tricky because there are some limitations in what we can do with the icon. For instance, the Safari icon can be black-and-white only and the available space and colors for badges make it challenging to convey the meaning well. For instance, we could put a badge on your Safari icon that says how many Logins you have for the current site, but it will be a white number on a red background, which we've all been trained to understand as some number of unread items or worse that something is wrong. So, while I wouldn't rule it out, I don't think that adjustments to the 1Password button will be the answer for communicating this information. I'm not sure what a better alternative is at this point, but these are the kinds of considerations we have to apply to making this enhancement.

Thanks again for your post. If we can ever help with anything else, don't hesitate to reach out; we're always here.

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits

• Martok
    Martok
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the explanation. I am a Google Chrome user rather than Safari on my Mac so was unaware of the limitations of icons on that. It's a shame that these limitations seem to impact on other (more popular) browsers. I do hope that something suitable can be implemented in the future.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for your gracious reply, @martok. We'll definitely keep thinking of ways we can improve here. :)

• Bob406
    Bob406
    Community Member
    Options

I would like something similar in the Win version, 1Password 6, using Firefox. Is there a way that the extension window could automatically pop up when you go to a site that already has the login info saved in 1Password? Thanks for a great program.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Bob406: I'm not sure I'd personally appreciate something like that (I'm a big fan of the keyboard shortcut — ⌘ \ / Ctrl \ — and not having things pop up), but it's certainly something we can look into, especially as we develop new versions of the 1Password extensions to take advantage of changes in that space (WebExtensions, NativeMessaging, etc.) Thanks for letting us know that's something you'd appreciate! :)

• dandrestor
    dandrestor
    Community Member
    Options

I'd also like to add my voice in support of this feature. I am currently evaluating 1password, and this is definitely a feature that I feel is missing for me. I would also disagree with/comment on the following:

@jxpx777: "we've all been trained to understand as some number of unread items or worse that something is wrong" - I believe that, in the context of browser extensions and browser toolbar buttons, some (if not most) people would interpret a white/red number badge as an indication or count of page matches/hits - ways in the particular extension matches with the currently displayed content. This is the behaviour of many widely-used extensions, such as Adblock Plus and Ghostery (I'm using these as examples as I have them currently installed), and not least, LastPass.

@brenty: I can empathise with what you're saying, and I believe this should be made toggle-able in the settings (perhaps even disabled by default).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dandrestor: I think that most people don't actually use things like Ghostery and AdBlock Plus, but that's a fair point with regard to more technical users. Thanks for giving 1Password a try, and for offering your feedback here. It definitely helps to get different perspectives. :)

• dandrestor
    dandrestor
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty That is probably true, however don't forget that a majority of people don't use 1Password either. I wouldn't be surprised if there is significant overlap in target audiences. There are also other ways in which the presence of saved password domain matches could be implemented. For instance, LastPass, in some situations, changes the border colour around the username/password fields (in Safari, at least).

This thread was started over half a year ago; I was wondering, have you made any progress internally regarding this enhancement?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dandrestor: You're right. I'm sorry if I gave the wrong impression. Just because a feature has been requested at some point doesn't mean it's something we're going to add to 1Password. It's something we can consider certainly, but we're not working on this right now. My point, albeit poorly made, was that we have to prioritize things that provide the most benefit to the greatest number of users, so right now this isn't something we're doing.

• dandrestor
    dandrestor
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty: Not at all, you didn't give that impression at all. I was wondering if you were considering adding this feature at all; your answer clarified this. Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm sorry I didn't have better news for you, but I really appreciate your understanding and letting us know this is something you want. Unless you do, we'll never know! :)

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2017
    Options

One of the things that I should mention here is right now, the extension is pretty dumb. It doesn't store any of your 1Password data, and it tries to only communicate with the main app when it comes time to save or fill data. In order for 1Password to communicate this matching/availability, the extension would need to do more tracking of the tabs that are open and the URLs that are involved. Then the extension would have to reliably send this to the app so that the app could tell the extension if there is a Login for the current site. (Tracking whether you are signed in is out of scope I think…)

This kind of a chatty relationship between the extension and the app has heretofore been a risky proposition because the connection mechanism between the extension and the app has involved a local network connection, which can be flaky and experience brief interruptions or vary in stability from one network environment to another. 1Password 6 for Windows has a new connection mechanism with Chrome that does not use the network. We're working to bring this to the Mac too, and we'll be bringing this same connection mechanism to Firefox on Windows and Mac soon as well. Once we are no longer using the network for this communication, we'll have one less barrier to being able to interact more frequently in a way that will allow us to bring more helpful features like this to the extension in the future.

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits
    Fort Worth, Texas

This discussion has been closed.