Mac app - not able to configure to new account

Options
glennamydavis
glennamydavis
Community Member

Hello.
I am using a Mac: OS X El Capitan 10.11.6.

Downloaded the app, but the app will not allow me to input the new password. It is reading a password from an old 1 Password account which is no longer used. I trashed the app and the setup file and tried again, but no success. I'm frustrated that Apple does not allow me to input the new license info into the app setup. We have an existing account I need to hook into.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OX X 10.11.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @glennamydavis,

Thanks for reaching out to us for help! If I understand, the 1Password app is finding old data on your Mac and asks you to unlock it with an old master password, but you'd like to reset the app and set it up again by signing into a 1Password.com account. Is that correct? If so, you can do that by following these steps:

1. Open the main 1Password app and go to Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data.
    2. Follow the on-screen instructions to reset the app.
    3. After you've done that, 1Password will show you the 'Welcome' screen - click on the "1Password.com" option and sign into your account.

Hopefully this helps, but please let us know if you have any trouble with that, or if you have more questions. Cheers! :)

• glennamydavis
    glennamydavis
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Drew.

Thanks for stepping in to help.

For some reason, the apple help menu does not give me the option to reset the data. I'm sure this is not on point, but I am not a fan of apple as they limit what users can access. Hence is why I've returned to using Windows for the majority of my work. Apple has "dimmed" this option so I cannot click on it. Ridiculous.

When I attempted to input a new license, the apple menu took me as if I were to look for a file, which doesn't make sense.

If it helps, I found my old password and accessed the account. I find it a nuisance that apple will not allow me to delete all of the 1 password data so I can start fresh.

Any ideas?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @glennamydavis,

The 1Password app needs to be locked in order for the 'Reset All 1Password Data' option to be available. I apologize for the confusion! I had the (obviously incorrect) impression that you weren't able to unlock the app because it was asking for an older master password you didn't remember. If it's still unlocked, just click the padlock icon in the top right corner of the app window. Then you'll be able to go to Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data.

When I attempted to input a new license, the apple menu took me as if I were to look for a file, which doesn't make sense.

1Password 6 for Mac can be activated by either signing into a 1Password.com account or by adding a license from our AgileBits Store. Licenses for 1Password 4/5/6 for Mac are files, which is why that option asked you to locate one. (But you don't need to worry about that if you have a 1Password.com account.)

I find it a nuisance that apple will not allow me to delete all of the 1 password data so I can start fresh.

That has nothing to do with Apple - the way we designed the 'reset' option is that 1Password needs to be locked. It's my fault for not mentioning that in the steps I gave you. Sorry about that! Apple isn't limiting you in any way here, and in fact, it's even possible to manually delete your 1Password data folder without using the option in the Help menu (but that option makes it much easier).

If you have more trouble with that, we're here for you! :)

• glennamydavis
    glennamydavis
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Drew.

Thanks for the detailed instructions. Today I revisited this and have been able to install the updated Family account on the Mac. I hear you and understand that there was some design restrictions in the 1P app we used initially for the Mac. However, I want to say that if this was a Windows system then I would have had easy access to all roots files and could have easily deleted them, run a quick clean-up of the registry, and then start fresh again. I've worked with engineers who use both apple and windows and the consensus is that Apple makes it very difficult for users to have access to root files. So, at some level this was a more difficult project due to Apple's clunky operating design. Just my opinion.

Ticket can be closed. Thanks again. Glenn

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm happy to hear you're all set now, @glennamydavis! Thank you for following up to let us know.

Just to be clear, there's nothing restricting you from manually deleting your 1Password data files from your Mac - in fact, before 1Password 6, we didn't have the "Reset All 1Password Data" option, so the only way to do that was to follow our instructions to find and delete several files/folders from within the ~/Library/ directory. We listed all those steps on our support site, but they were time-consuming at best, and confusing for many customers at worst (partly because the Mac App Store and AgileBits Store versions of 1Password store data in different locations).

That's not Apple's fault by any means, it's just that many people are uncomfortable with (or become confused by) digging through system files like that. Therefore, we finally added an option to automate that process in version 6. You can absolutely still delete the files manually if you know which ones to remove and where to find them, but I don't know why anyone would want to do that when the "Reset All 1Password Data" option can do it for you and save a lot of time. ;)

We're here for you if you need more help. Enjoy the rest of your week! :)

This discussion has been closed.