Forgot master password but can still unlock with Touch ID

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Another Lost Master Password.

Comments

• plougheed
    plougheed
    Community Member
    Options

I love 1Password- use it daily. I have the Touch ID and no clue what my master password is. I would like to change my master password so I know what it is! I have the app on my iPad and iPhone. I can find where to change my password but have to know my old one? Is there a "reset my password". I must not have signed up for an account because my email address is not registered.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @plougheed,

It sounds like your situation is a bit different than the previous thread, and happening on iOS devices, so I've split your post into a separate thread in our iOS forum so we can focus on this specific issue. I hope you don't mind!

There's no way to change your master password to a new one unless you remember your old one. If you were part of a 1Password Families account, the Family Organizer on that account could use the account recovery option to reset your master password, but it sounds like you aren't using a 1Password.com account at all.

Fortunately, you're still able to unlock 1Password and access your data with Touch ID. In that case, you can move your data from your current vault to a new vault or a new 1Password.com account (either of which would have a new master password). To help us figure out the best way for you to do that, can you let us know a few more details:

• What exact version of 1Password is installed on your iPad and iPhone?
    • Do you also happen to use 1Password for Mac or Windows? Or if not, do you have access to a Mac or Windows PC?
    • How are you syncing your 1Password data between your iPad and iPhone?
    • Do you sync your 1Password data with any other devices aside from your iPad and iPhone? If so, what devices, and what version of 1Password is on them?

Thanks in advance! :)

• plougheed
    plougheed
    Community Member
    Options

Well I figured out my master password so all is good. I'll still answer your questions though, in case it helps others.
    I don't know what version of 1Password, it doesn't say in settings. I've completed all updates suggested.

I don't have 1Password on Mac or windows, but do have access to a Mac.

I don't know how the two apps are syncing - iCloud??

Just syncing with the two devices. I assume same version on both because I've done all the updates.

Since I know my password, should I create an account now?

• Ben
    Options

@plougheed,

To find the version number, open and unlock 1Password, then tap Settings. Scroll down to find the version number.

You can check how the apps are syncing under 1Password > Settings > Sync. This would be good to know in case you have any difficulties in the future.

As for creating an account... that is the direction we're pointing all new customers. The way you're using 1Password now ("standalone") is now considered a more advanced option, and we're no longer marketing it. You can read about the benefits of a subscription account here:

What are the benefits of a 1Password membership?

If you decide to do so you can learn about how to migrate to an account here:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

I hope that helps!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.