Preference option to set default url action

Options
am17
am17
Community Member

I can't use "open and fill" (nor browser extensions) due to corporate security policy.

I'd like a preference option to either set 'copy' as the default action when clicking a url or (preferably) a preference option to set 'open' (without fill) as the default option.

Personally, I'd like the option to be as global as possible, but I can see valid arguments for making it apply either on a 'per vault' basis or a 'per login item' basis and any of those would be fine with me.

1Password Version: 6.7.1
Extension Version: Not installed
OS Version: 10.12.4
Sync Type: Folder
Referrer: forum-search:open and fill

Comments

• Hi @am17,

That's an interesting idea. I'd love to hear more about the corporate policy part of this though. Can you elaborate on their concern regarding this?

Thanks

Rick

• am17
    am17
    Community Member
    Options

The policy stems from a combination of non-technical employees accidentily installing malware or otherwise sketchy extensions and a general aversion to anything that attempts to auto-fill passwords.

Extension installation isn't allowed (enforced by compliance software) unless the extension has been white-listed by the IT security team. To get an extension white-listed, one requirement is code review, which is understandably a sticking point for most companies. However, on the 'import' support topic/page, I noticed a link to the agilebits github account with has quite a few repositories. I found a repo for the iOS extension, but no other extensions.

Are the repos for the browser extensions available for the sec team to go through?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks, @am17! I hope you don't mind, but I've moved this thread to our Saving and Filling in Browsers forum so the right people will see it.

Are the repos for the browser extensions available for the sec team to go through?

No, we don't usually publish source code related to our browser extensions or other components of 1Password.

Extension installation isn't allowed (enforced by compliance software) unless the extension has been white-listed by the IT security team.

I'm a bit confused, because if you don't have the 1Password extension installed in your browser, "open and fill" won't work - it will open the website in your browser but won't be able to fill anything. Although that's not exactly a feature, I think that's what you were asking for in your first post?

This discussion has been closed.