1Password 6 [Only available with 1Password.com memberships, no local vaults are supported]

Options
2»

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@badankan: You're absolutely right. I'm sorry you never got a response. We've been steadily working through the backlog, but no matter what, you shouldn't have to wait so long.

I did want to mention however that I agree that having the ability to sync using any method you want is nice, but we have to recognize that most folks really don't want to deal with all of that. Even a lot of technically-inclined people who know what [insert name of 3rd party sync tool] is when I've never heard of it reach out to us asking us to troubleshoot their sync problem when it's completely outside of 1Password and we'd have no idea where to even begin to help them given that we don't develop/operate that software/service ourselves. So right now our focus is on making 1Password.com as seamless as the vast majority of users (including ourselves) want and expect.

I'm also sorry for the troubles you've had with 1Password 4. I've been able to track down your email, so I'll get back to you there shortly and we can troubleshoot this. Thanks for the nudge. :blush:

ref: MUF-55617-685

• Paatrick
    Paatrick
    Community Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

@brenty

Hello there, I'm new in this forum and sorry to reopen that discussion again. But there's actually just one question so far for me with the new 1Password 6.

That's totally your choice. But yeah, I said once that we don't store people's passwords because that's true. Many online services do, after all, so I think this is an important distinction for all of us who keep up with the news. What we do store is encrypted data that can only be "transformed" into users' passwords using "keys" that only they possess. I'm sorry to belabour the point, but this is really important. Otherwise we wouldn't sell 1Password or use it ourselves to protect our most important data. It's also important to note that 1Password also doesn't store your data in the browser (even in encrypted form), so that's another attack surface you don't have to worry about. The details really matter to us.>

By telling that, could you please give me a hint of how this works at 1Password 6?

Method 1: I imagine that if I go to lets say facebook.com and I use 1Password 6, my computer asks 1password.com for the "encrypted data" for facebook.com. It then decrypts that data locally on my computer using my master password and fills in the login form?

Sorry for the very very simple description but I wanted to keep things as simple as possible. Am I right?

Method 2: Because the other way in my eyes would be, that I open facebook.com, the app then wants my master password which is sent to AgileBits to decrypt the "encrypted data" and fill out the login form with that decrypted data?

Thank you! I was using 1Password 4 till now but would like to go the walk to 6 because of the upcoming edge support.

Edit:
    Oh and as I'm new here I would like to thank you for that great support you're doing already and to congratulate for your almost perfect piece of App you developed. Sure I would appreciate a complete sync funktion to local files as in 1Password 4 but I would be cool with method 1.

Keep up the good work!

Now I will have a look at the 1Password 6 UI as to see if it fits my expectations of user experience at all :chuffed:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2017
    Options

Hello there, I'm new in this forum and sorry to reopen that discussion again. But there's actually just one question so far for me with the new 1Password 6.

@Paatrick: Welcome to the AgileBits forum! I'll do my best. :chuffed:

By telling that, could you please give me a hint of how this works at 1Password 6?
    Method 1: I imagine that if I go to lets say facebook.com and I use 1Password 6, my computer asks 1password.com for the "encrypted data" for facebook.com. It then decrypts that data locally on my computer using my master password and fills in the login form?
    Sorry for the very very simple description but I wanted to keep things as simple as possible. Am I right?

Yes! Indeed, there are a lot more little things going on "under the hood", but that's an excellent summary. More on that later.

Method 2: Because the other way in my eyes would be, that I open facebook.com, the app then wants my master password which is sent to AgileBits to decrypt the "encrypted data" and fill out the login form with that decrypted data?

No! We don't want that either. I wanted to mention this earlier, but I think it's most relevant here: neither your Secret Key, Master Password, login credentials, or even the URL is sent to AgileBits.

There's actually a great blog post from just last week that breaks down how all of this works, but the short version is that all data that is transmitted (e.g. a new item you save in 1Password) is encrypted locally, and, since we're using the Secure Remote Password protocol, the keys to decrypt that data are simply never transmitted either. It's kind of amazing, because in almost all cases, logging into a website involves your username and password being sent to it in some form, and 1Password.com just doesn't work that way at all.

Thank you! I was using 1Password 4 till now but would like to go the walk to 6 because of the upcoming edge support.

I'll be honest, it's still too early to jump to 1Password 6 if Edge support is the only thing you're looking for. It just isn't available, even as a public beta yet. So if you're happy with your current setup and not particularly interested in the many other benefits of a 1Password.com membership, I'd say sit tight for a bit. Edge is what we're focused on right now, but we're not there yet. That said, if you are interested in 1Password.com for other reasons, there's no harm in using it for 30 days to try it for yourself. I just wouldn't want you to end up subscribing just for Edge when it isn't available yet and I can't give you a guarantee of when it will be.

Edit: Oh and as I'm new here I would like to thank you for that great support you're doing already and to congratulate for your almost perfect piece of App you developed. Sure I would appreciate a complete sync funktion to local files as in 1Password 4 but I would be cool with method 1.

"Method 1" it is. And I'm glad to hear you're been enjoying 1Password 4! Thank you for the kind words, and be sure to checkout the security white paper if you're interested in the details, and ask any questions you might have.

Keep up the good work! Now I will have a look at the 1Password 6 UI as to see if it fits my expectations of user experience at all :chuffed:

While a 1Password.com membership is only free for the first 30 days, even after that, with a frozen account (if you didn't subscribe), you can still access your data, so you can always test drive the app to see what you think. And we welcome feedback on it if you want to start another thread for that purpose. Cheers! :)

• Paatrick
    Paatrick
    Community Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

@brenty

that to be sure is the most perfect support I ever saw! Thank you again.
    All questions answered so far. Yesterday I also read the white paper and the blog post and im pretty satisfied <3

Thank you for the tip with the Edge support. I certainly know that it's too early for Edge anticipation, just want to be ready to use as soon as it is time for. Not only will I try out the 30 days to wait but also I will try it out as I am curious at how the new lets say system works and how the user experience will be with the different UI. Expect my feedback as in relations of how you communicate with customers (Site / Blog / Frorums) you deserve it and I would like to help you developing an even more perfect app! :chuffed: :+1:

Edit: somehow I can't get italic font to work xD

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

that to be sure is the most perfect support I ever saw! Thank you again. All questions answered so far. Yesterday I also read the white paper and the blog post and im pretty satisfied <3

@Paatrick: Glad to hear it! And we're here if you have any others. :)

Thank you for the tip with the Edge support. I certainly know that it's too early for Edge anticipation, just want to be ready to use as soon as it is time for.

No problem. I am too! :lol:

Not only will I try out the 30 days to wait but also I will try it out as I am curious at how the new lets say system works and how the user experience will be with the different UI. Expect my feedback as in relations of how you communicate with customers (Site / Blog / Frorums) you deserve it and I would like to help you developing an even more perfect app! :chuffed: :+1:

Thank you! Looking forward to hearing your impressions! :sunglasses:

Edit: somehow I can't get italic font to work xD

It's a bit confusing, but the italics are done just by putting an underscore ( _ ) at each side of the word or phrase. It does get weird though between paragraphs though. :crazy:

This discussion has been closed.