To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Hello - I want to store my vaults locally and not online.

Options
darceman
darceman
Community Member

Just signed up for free version but do not want to store passwords in the cloud. What version is required for Mac OSX? Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:store locally

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @darceman,

Thanks for taking the time to write in.

The first point I'd like to make is that there is no free version of 1Password. There is a free trial, but afterwards a subscription is required to continue use.

What you're describing is possible, but is considered an advanced option, and not something we'd recommend for very many users. You'll be responsible for your own backups (ideally off-site), and if you intend to use 1Password on any additional devices you'd need to manually configure syncing through a 3rd party cloud service (Dropbox or iCloud). By doing so you also lose a number of other benefits provided by 1Password.com such as the ability to share passwords with your family, Documents, and more (you can see a number of the 1Password.com benefits here: https://support.1password.com/why-account/ ).

Additionally if your reasoning for doing so is you think it'll be a more secure arrangement... please read our security white paper:

https://1password.com/teams/white-paper/

If you've read all of that and still want to move forward please let me know. I'd also be interested to know why. As I mentioned we don't recommend that setup, so we don't typically hand out those instructions without good reason.

Thanks!

Ben

• dexbeef1
    dexbeef1
    Community Member
    Options

Attempting to convince someone by directing them to a 72 page white paper is really rather excessive don't you think @Ben?

"Version 4" would have been the simple answer to @darceman's question (well at least on PC, can't recall what I used on my mac to do that)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Attempting to convince someone by directing them to a 72 page white paper is really rather excessive don't you think @Ben?

@dexbeef1: I don't think Ben is trying to "convince", but rather to inform. It does, however, seem a bit excessive to jump into others' conversations like this. At any rate, security is something we take very seriously, and generally the reason people are drawn to 1Password in the first place. Knowledge is power. With that in mind, the white paper is incredibly relevant. You should check it out. It's really very accessible (and entertaining). :)

"Version 4" would have been the simple answer to @darceman's question (well at least on PC, can't recall what I used on my mac to do that)

I'm afraid that wouldn't be a very helpful answer. They weren't asking about Windows in the first place, and that would only be an option if they already had it — and then they wouldn't need to ask. ;)

This discussion has been closed.