Whenever I login to ANY site, 1Password pops up to ask if I want so save changes to my password

Options

Whenever I login to ANY site, 1Password pops up to ask if I want so save changes to my password, despite the fact that the password has NOT changed!! This is extremely annoying as the popup does not go away and I have to go back and close it manually.
The only way to turn it off seems to be to disable the "Detect new usernames and passwords and offer to save them" feature, which I do not want to do.

What is going on here and how can I prevent this bug from occurring?

1Password Version: 6.5.401
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 64bot
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Whenever I login to ANY site, 1Password pops up to ask if I want so save changes to my password

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Dominic_Hayes: Thanks for reaching out. I apologize if this seems like a silly question, but since you we're specific, are you certain that you don't have the browser filling your usernames and passwords? In any case, if the username, password, and URL don't match something already saved in 1Password, it should prompt you to save it. Can you give me an example URL where you're encountering this, and let me know the browser and extension versions you're using? Thanks in advance!

• Dominic_Hayes
    Dominic_Hayes
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Brenty

Thank you for the swift response.

Yes, I probably do allow the browser to populate the username and password. Doesn't the 1Password application detect the domain? I know of few sites where you will have multiple logins to the same domain and it would be silly to punish the users for not using the "correct" URL each time, would it not?

Kind regards

Dominic

• Ben
    Options

Dominic

We recommend disabling the browser's built-in password manager so as to avoid conflicts with 1Password:

Turn off the built-in password manager in your browser - 1Password Support

1Password does indeed recognize and attempt to be smart about the domain.

Ben

• Dominic_Hayes
    Dominic_Hayes
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben

That is not a good solution for me. Is there any way to downgrade to the previous version which did not exhibit this behaviour?

Kind regards

Dominic

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Dominic_Hayes: This isn't something we've changed. If anything, if 1Password wasn't offering to save login credentials it didn't already have, then something simply wasn't working correctly.

You make a good point about URLs, and it's my fault for not being clearer in my previous response. What I meant regarding the URL is that 1Password tries to find a matching login for the site, but not an exact address. Maybe an example (though fake) will help:

1. I save a login at amazon.com/login — let's say, "myfakeusername" and "myweakpassword"
    2. When returning to the site, if I use 1Password, the browser, or my fingers to enter those same login credentials, 1Password will not offer to save it again
    3. The same applies if I go to smile.amazon.com/account — if I already have the same login credentials saved for anything matching amazon.com, 1Password won't offer to save it again
    4. However, if I go to audible.com/signin and fill the same login credentials, 1Password will offer to save it if I don't already have a matching login item (audible.com, with the same username and password)
    5. If the website or password (or both) are specifically different than what I have saved (perhaps nothing at all), then 1Password

Hopefully that's a bit clearer. Given that we haven't had similar reports (the more common complaint is that 1Password didn't offer to save a login), this isn't something that we fixed to behave differently in 1Password, so perhaps there was some glitch in your case affecting this. We do occasionally get reports of conflicts with browsers' built in login filling, which is why we recommend disabling it, as Ben mentioned.

With that in mind, there are a few ways you can avoid having 1Password offer to save login credentials for you:

1. Save them in 1Password. Seriously. Your data there is encrypted, and more secure than what the browser stores. And 1Password allows you to fill logins across multiple browsers and platforms, something you cannot do with the browsers themselves. That said, as I requested previously, if 1Password is still prompt you to save a new login when you already have it in your vault, please let us know.
    2. Disable Autosave globally, or for specific sites (1Password Settings > Options > Browsers). You can manually save a new login when you choose by opening 1Password in your browser and clicking the Settings "gear" icon > Save New Login.
    3. If you already have a login saved but want to use it for multiple websites, you can edit it to add multiple URLs. Then not only will you not be prompted to save it again, but 1Password will also offer to fill it at each site.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Dominic_Hayes
    Dominic_Hayes
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Brenty

I did understand the first time, honest. I work in IT, as a software developer, and this sort of thing is not strange to me, but the behaviour of 1Password, since the last update, is.

Using your Amazon example, whenever I go to Amazon and get to a login page, in Firefox the browser has the credentials stored and if I click to log in, then 1Password will ask if I want to update my credentials.

Now I could say yes or I could say no but either way the next time I get to the same Amazon login page and allow the cached credentials to be used, 1Password will popup and ask whether I want to save my changed credentials.

Another example would be a site that requires a login for all pages and where you access the pages via links in emails. Each time you hit the site the URL will be different but you will be presented with the login screen. The same problems described above occur here, regardless of whether or not I have previously clicked Yes to update my 1Password stored credentials.

This is a new problem and I mention it as 1Password is a useful tool and it is a shame to have it become so annoying.

Kind regards

Dominic

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Using your Amazon example, whenever I go to Amazon and get to a login page, in Firefox the browser has the credentials stored and if I click to log in, then 1Password will ask if I want to update my credentials.

@Dominic_Hayes: Unfortunately 1Password has no way of knowing what's saved in the browser, and honestly even if it could (and understand your intent to use that instead for some sites) this isn't something we want to take for granted. We don't have any control over the security or usability (with regard to exporting or syncing data) of the 3rd party password management, so it isn't something we want to depend on or design around.

Now I could say yes or I could say no but either way the next time I get to the same Amazon login page and allow the cached credentials to be used, 1Password will popup and ask whether I want to save my changed credentials.

This really sounds like 1Password is doing it's job, as it's being asked to. Like I said, if you don't want this behaviour in general, you can disable it completely (and save manually as needed), or disable it only for particular sites.

Another example would be a site that requires a login for all pages and where you access the pages via links in emails. Each time you hit the site the URL will be different but you will be presented with the login screen. The same problems described above occur here, regardless of whether or not I have previously clicked Yes to update my 1Password stored credentials.

This sounds different. I'd really appreciate an example to see if there's something we can improve. 1Password doesn't care about the exact URL, only that it offers to save login credentials that it doesn't already have.

This is a new problem and I mention it as 1Password is a useful tool and it is a shame to have it become so annoying.

I'm really sorry about that, Dominic. It isn't our intention to have 1Password annoy you, but we do feel pretty strongly that it should be offering to save login credentials. You may not necessarily want this functionality, but as I mentioned there are ways to avoid it. And the vast majority of users depend on 1Password to do this, so when it doesn't work consistently that's a problem. :blush:

• Dominic_Hayes
    Dominic_Hayes
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, I will disable the "feature" in 1Password

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @Dominic_Hayes,

As a software developer I'm sure you understand the need to be very precise when discussing the presence of a potential bug so I do have a couple of questions if you don't mind. When you first contacted us you said

save changes to my password

Now when it comes to being prompted in the browser there is a single dialog that is used for two very distinct situations. There is the instance where 1Password does not have a Login item for this site with this password and it should offer to Create new while if 1Password recognises it as a change password form it should ask if you want to Update existing. Now saving changes to your password could imply the latter rather than the former.

1. When you are on a site and being asked, do you have a Login item saved in 1Password for this domain with this password?
    2. Is 1Password defaulting to Create new or Update existing?

Brenty has already covered the options for instances where you don't want 1Password to ask and you can always manually save a Login item. In 1Password 6 for Windows you can find it by bringing up the 1Password helper menu, clicking the cog icon in the lower left hand corner and selecting the Save new Login menu option.

What shouldn't be happening are things like, being asked to update an existing Login item for sites stored in 1Password (there are a couple of weird sites that can trip us up but that should be it) or asking to create a new Login item if these details are already stored in 1Password. As Brenty has covered though, if we're talking about 1Password asking for sites not stored in the 1Password vault it is either the case of selectively excluding domains or disabling autosave completely. If there is a bug that we haven't noticed though we certainly want to make sure we become aware of it and work on resolving it.

This discussion has been closed.